Faction Idea Work Area: Heretic

For any empire/faction/race/species-etc. information related to your made-up BSF fleets or factions. Please keep to one thread per storyline/universe/faction/etc. where possible.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Faction Idea Work Area: Heretic

Post by Zalausai »

A while ago, someone asked what happened to the faction that Heaven's Grace came from.
I am wondering if I should add to the other side of the Heaven's Grace faction.
I am putting it here to see if anyone thinks it's worthy to become a small entry into the War of the Universe.
This faction will not have any territory on the star map.

What Happened to the Heretic
Spoiler!
200 Years ago.
The edge of Heretic space was besieged by an unknown force. Sensors show a mass of black space encroaching closer, like the event horizon of a black hole. With the destruction of several long range probes, an assault fleet is launched. They never return. No communications, no wreckage drifting, no distress calls, nothing. This "darkness" continues to grow, swallowing all in its wake. While the military scrambles together the entirety of its power to focus on the defense, a lone team of researchers discover a dark secret deep in an underground lab. The secret to place the mind of a human being within a interstellar vessel. Aided by nanobots, a single individual could control any ship for the military. They will be immortal within the hull of a ship. The price is that you can never return to being normal again. Without any volunteers, new recruits are forced into the ship program under the name "Project: Judas".

175 Years ago
Most of the Heretic fleets are now operated by single individuals using the new technology (30,000). A major setback rocks the senate as the common folk rise up in outrage. The unfortunate souls placed within a ship's hull cannot get back to being their former selves as their bodies perish. Dealing with an advancing enemy and public anarchy, the Heretic are slowly torn apart until nothing remains of their homeworld. With no-one to give them orders, the remaining ships (5,000) disband from the faction and leave the remains of their homeworld behind. From then on, they continue to wander galaxies. They stay together, for no creature that they have yet encountered has the technology to return them to a body of flesh and blood. There is no other race known to them like their own, now undesirable inorganic forms.

The Heretic Now
The Heretic "ships", having long ago lost the desire to find peace, now wander the galaxy in search of revenge for their homeworld. They hold no desire to befriend any faction without the technology to return them to flesh and blood. Current;y, they believe themselves to be gods as immortals. The experiment was more of a success than was planned. They have since become more than one with their new "bodies". They now can feel sensations throughout the surfaces of their hull as if it were the skin from their own bodies. Even more unsettling, their "bodies" can also now feel pain when subjected to damage, further blurring the line of their reality. Due to the fact that they do not have bodies that can live on planets, they cannot claim any space for themselves other than where they currently reside.
Ship styles and Styles.
Spoiler!
Heretic ships are usually black or dark grey with small amounts of blood red. All doodads are also red. Though, since each ship is an individual, some colors may vary.
Most ships will have an inner hull that looks either organic or like circuitry (Kae_Mecha SW or Kae_Alien SW), while the outer hull will follow the popular standard of using Kae_Shn (shiny sprites)
Due to the fact that a single mind acts as a hive for a large number of nanobots as well, each ship will recieve the "Nano repair matrix" module as well (range set to ship's size)
To further add to the "it's a living being" appearance, moving parts will be used.
Fast parts that move back and forth could give the look of the ship possessing a beating heart while slowly expanding and shrinking of the hull could look similar to breathing. These are just brainstorming ideas, since this faction is more allied to the "Darkness" than any other in the fact that they are mostly hostile to all other ships.
It is meant to be creepy, and unnerving, but not overtly powerful.
It's posted here, because the Heretic did need a backstory after all.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Faction Idea Work Area: Heretic

Post by CryoSleep »

Actually the Darkness has no Allies and if you try and contact it then your dead.
Creations
Cryoware Enterprises, where ideas go
Cryoware Heavy Yards, Heavy ships
Delphinus Gulf Wars (Formerly War for the Universe)
Coalition of Terra
Quote of the occasion: It takes one man to change the world
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

I know that. It is only an explanation of their current hostility towards races that still possess their original bodies.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.

calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

So they're basically Necrons?
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Necrons Vs Chaos :D
Creations
Coalition of Terra
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

~(o. O )~ Is this heretic some minor faction attacking basically anyone where just met? And yes, Darkness will not ally with anything. After all their windows 95 operating system is incomparable with diplomacy. (kidding the last part)
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Woo necrons!!!
Nove would like to study 'darkness' tech if a specimen could be captured.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

Darkness is Chaos and i like to see them Battle Heretic Necrons
Creations
Coalition of Terra
R0ni
Captain
Captain

Post by R0ni »

Necro, you get to see Darkness up close soon enough onboard certain Ratai ship. After that you might not want to study them :O
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Oh I'm sure we will :D
Zal, HG sound very religious. Is this so?
Deus Est Mechanicus

CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

You can try but you get a new paint job for your ship instead :D
Creations
Coalition of Terra
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

I will carve them up into little bits with my lasers first.
Deus Est Mechanicus

CryoSleep
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by CryoSleep »

You can study them but they Evolve into much stronger and can rebuild all their losses in just days unlike our forces who can replenish a whole fleet in years thanks to their growing and evolving tech and not only evolving but can also infect other ships as R0ni explained, even a jotunn or our toughest ship can't destroy a harvester that easily, only an autonoma.
Creations
Coalition of Terra
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

The HG are more just desiring to help others where they can. Not really religious, they just dislike tyrannical behavior.

Should I make the Heretic more peaceful? Give them a goal that some other faction can help with? I intend for them to be evil, but not necessarily the bad guys, since they do desire the destruction of the darkness over all else. Mostly, they are meant to be Anti-heroes.

robots rock
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by robots rock »

Well...
Make them Peaceful when not provoked. but if anyone tries to stop or attack them, let it be on their head. And maybe their walls. and a little bit will probably get stuck in the ventilation, too...

Because these ships are probably immune to darkness anyway (what with there being no crew and no controls, only a mind sealed in energy), they have probably become scarred with the horrors of the darkness..
Those ships could hold the information the entire galaxy needs to hold back or at least slow down the darkness' advance.
Creator and Ruler of PACIV
Holy Elephant Poo! It works on my school internet!

Latooni: "I like to imagine every australian snipes for a living"

Keep your head down. I can see you from here.........