CF2:DoaE [OOC, Sign-up] *Sequel to CF:RotNE*

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Oh. There isn't a file hosting site I know of that isn't blocked by school filters (that will allow me to upload something like this).

Sorry for being missing these past 2 days, I went to New York, then over a friend's house, then I went to sleep, then I went to school. No time. I'm updating everything right now.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

You -really- need to work on the documentation for this Normandy. It barely even describes the turn mechanics. :?

It's like, it doesn't even fucking explain how you're supposed to go about getting resources. The best I can do right now is GUESS that most of my planets either make stuff automatically or I have to pay for it, and the entire system seems to be an utter mess.

I'm seriously considering giving up because of the utter lack of ANY information on how I'm supposed to do anything. The manual doesn't even DESCRIBE how to go about doing half a dozen things.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
warhammer651
Commander
Commander
Location: i'll giv you a hint. it's somewhere in the vicinity of the third planet from the sun

Post by warhammer651 »

he said how much of a resource planets make in post one.

look in the appendix to see what type of world with what specialty makes what.
if everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.......idiot.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

And there's conversion tables in Appendix.xls

What exactly is there to know about making a turn?

There are no conventions. Remember, this is a role-play, mainly. The rules are just a framework to give the role-play more theme and goals.

Think of it like DnD. Do they tell you how to attack with a bow? Do they tell you how you move? No. They just tell you how much you move, how much that attack will do. You just... Do it. You spend money on propaganda. There is no unknown process behind it - it's a role-play.

EDIT:

Those who didn't specify an action last tick have not received their tax sheets. You're not out of the game, definitely not, it's just that since you haven't actually done anything, it's assumed your faction is still inactive. When you finally do post an action, you will receive the tick report, and if it's been long enough, I'll reimburse you as a "new empire".

This is to do 2 things: Encourage you to start playing and to keep it balanced (since I won't give bad events to people 'in stasis'). You won't build up money, but your faction won't crumble from inactivity either. However, if you do not post an action for 6 days straight, it will be assumed you have no more interest in playing and your faction will be disposed of.

If any active player does not post an action, it will be assumed you meant to do what you did last turn. You will do exactly the same thing, minus ship-building and other "one-turn" actions (such as census and public projects). If you do fall into negative money, your economy advisors will promptly borrow money and redo the budget.

If you are inactive for 3 days or more (without posting a reason), you will be put into the same boat as the 'in stasis' empires, so if you don't play for 9 days (in total), your faction will be disposed of.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Okay, bad news. I'm going to be pretty busy for the rest of today (music lessons, homework, more stuff). I've done your tax sheets, but I need to reorganize some stuff, something I can't do until friday. Tick is delayed.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Okay, after quite a bit of pondering, bad scheduling, and realization that not everyone knows how to use Microsoft Excel, I have decided to temporarily pause the game whist I do a rule re-write.

Basically, the only person that will be affected is Himura.Kenshin since he's the only one who's grasped how the resource system worked, knows how to use Microsoft Excel, and produced resources.

However, it will make it impossible for you, the common populace, to not get how the resource system works. If you still don't get how the resource system works after this, please, report yourself to the nearest mental facility.
Deathguard
Commander
Commander

Post by Deathguard »

Uh, aside from the fact that that was mildly insulting;
I -was- keeping stock of my resources. I just didn't post them.

I was under the impression that all resources were under my personal command, WHAT WITH ME OWNING THE DAMN FACTORIES.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isgreen.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]<br>Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]<br>
[img]http://img02.picoodle.com/img/img02/9/8/20/heikon/f_jzk1lx9xem_a85d98f.gif[/img]
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Hehehehe

I trust that all the resources will still cost the same in the end? Or am I suddenly gonna find a couple extra Duranite lying around or some Credits growing on a tree :lol: .

When do you plan to have this done?
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Deathguard wrote:Uh, aside from the fact that that was mildly insulting;
I -was- keeping stock of my resources. I just didn't post them.

I was under the impression that all resources were under my personal command, WHAT WITH ME OWNING THE DAMN FACTORIES.
This is exactly what I meant. Huge misunderstandings with the resource system.

A. You don't own the factories. In real life, does the government own all our factories? No. Do they automatically confiscate all factory production? No. Only if they purchase the resources from the factory, put into a reserve. For communist governments (the previous was a model for free-market economy), they don't actually "own" their factories. They just tell them what to produce, how much of it to produce, and how much to sell it for. They can tell them to sell it back to the government for free (i.e. confiscating), but that sort of... you know... angers people. No government just decides to all of a sudden take resources from factories.

Please, don't try and 'pwn' me. I make (nearly) everything I write 'pwn-proof'. You'll only be 'pwned' by me harder when I throw your ideas out the window.

B. I never planned to have a set price for resources (I meant for the players themselves to set prices, and the economy would basically "fall into place" from there). However, apparently there's a loophole in my logic, namely ship-building, which will occur before major trading [of durantium] occurs, meaning I had to set a price.

C. Not a lot of people seem to understand the concept that this is a roleplay. It's not a turn-based strategy game. The rules are simply a framework of organization. So, in order to please the players of the game, I need to make the resource production area much more rigid and inflexible.

@Himura.Kenshin:
Expect to see it before next... Thursday. It's just that I can't really put myself into the shoes of someone who has no clue what I'm thinking, and can't put my ideas into explainable fashions. Especially due to B, it will take me a while to think of a new resource structuring system that will still be flexible enough for an RP, but won't require me to actually keep track of resource prices (e.g. a system in which a table that has all the prices of all the resources is not necessary).
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I was happily setting my own overpriced costs for Duranite, seeing as nobody else was producing it. I just needed a tick to go by so I could use a ton of money for the next tick: It was very Roleplayish and I thought you woulda been really happy to deal with the first chance to actually do something creative =P.

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Hrm, I never expected that one coming.

I can see it now, "New Galactic Order outbuys Intergalactic Trading Company, brings about monopoly on Duranite! In unrelated news, the price of Duranite has gone up to about... 89 million credits a unit!"
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

EDIT: Well, I thought I just had to make it clear that ^^^ that is actually meant to be the entire post :lol: .

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Normandy wrote:C. Not a lot of people seem to understand the concept that this is a roleplay. It's not a turn-based strategy game. The rules are simply a framework of organization. So, in order to please the players of the game, I need to make the resource production area much more rigid and inflexible.
So if it's an RP, why not just toss everything regarding the rules out the window? :roll: Just kidding.

If you're going to have -any- rules, they should be easily understood and if they -do- have a major impact on the gameplay (such as the requirement of ship construction materials to build ships) they should also be obvious about it. You never once -directly- mentioned that altering the spreadsheets was necessary to calculate anything as far as I can recall; hence, I didn't think to do it.

All it would have taken was a small info box on the page saying "to calculate costs and production amounts, enter 'x' (where 'x' is planet size) into box b, 'y' (where 'y' is planet population) into box c, then check box d for cost and box e for production amount."

It's not a case of not understanding -how- to use Excel (though I use OpenOffice), it's a case of either 1) things not being obvious, or 2) me not being curious enough to bother checking all the boxes to see if they're just numbers or actual formulae.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Alright, I have to admit that you're right there Arcalane.

It's just that sometimes I forget that I can't telepathically communicate my ideas to everyone. Hehe.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Trust me, I would -kill- for the same ability. I'm absolutely terrible at explaining things.

Especially directions. :shock:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ