Galactic Conquest Organization Ideas & Discussion

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

No. We will start a roster when the time comes. Until then, stop trying to make names. Understand?

Aralonia is Chief Mapping Dude, so you can bug him for system placement when the time comes. Which will be when I say it comes. Not before then.

Understand?
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Arcalane wrote:...Aralonia is Chief Mapping Dude...
I been meaning to ask that too. Who composes this "we" you keep speaking of?
Cerebrus
Captain
Captain

Post by Cerebrus »

Presumably, the people who end up participating in this.
[i]...can we hold on...?[/i]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Cerebrus wrote:Presumably, the people who end up participating in this.
Well thats obvious. I think it is some of the people from the first CW.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Oh, and a couple of concepts I'll introduce now as well;

Defense Platforms and Starbases
These are your last (or first) line of defense against invading forces. All Starbases and Defense Platforms must be destroyed before you can invade a planet or destroy a colony. I'll start with Defense Platforms.

Defense Platforms
These small autonomous bases (roughly the size of BSF's stock bases) are basically turrets. Defense Platforms can be built in systems and cannot move, even in space combat. Defense Platforms can be built at Warp Exits (where they act as an automatic Blockade) or at a Planet. In the former case, any ship wishing to enter the system must pass the platforms. This must either be by force or treaty. All platforms must be destroyed to remove the blockade. Starting colonies also recieve 3 basic template defense platforms at the Planet to defend against rushes. Defense platforms cannot be upgraded or retrofitted.

Defense Platforms can be packaged and transported by a Transport, but cannot be undeployed once set in place.

Defense Platforms are very cheap to maintain, but their limited usefulness and inability for upgrading limits their lifespan.

Starbases
Starbases are great hulking constructions like the Leviathan - a combination of refuelling depot, command center, shipyard and most of all, defense system. Starbases can only be constructed at a planet, and are a sign of power and wealth. All player homeworlds start with a free "templated" Starbase to protect against rushing. Over time, you may choose to refit and rearm or even expand your starbase in order to increase it's defensive power.

Starbases can only be constructed at a Planet, and are considerably costly. However, their maintenance fees are not as high as maintaining an entire defense fleet.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Thats Good to know. So you can place 1 platform at every territory/Warps you own for protection/blockade/"Capture the flag". and if some one destroys that platform then they have an open window for takeover of that territory?
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Essentially yes. A single Weapon Platform won't be much more than a speedbump to a proper fleet though. ;)

Starbases obviously can't be built as a package and dumped somewhere; that would be far too exploitable.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Arcalane wrote:Essentially yes. A single Weapon Platform won't be much more than a speedbump to a proper fleet though. ;)

Starbases obviously can't be built as a package and dumped somewhere; that would be far too exploitable.
So we will probably have only one or two at a time then.
Netra Ver'd
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Netra Ver'd »

Ok im new to this game but i have made some pretty good ships, exactly how are you going to implement this, through RP, Or through some unkown massive gameplay feature that is coming up?
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Netra Ver'd wrote:Ok im new to this game but i have made some pretty good ships, exactly how are you going to implement this, through RP, Or through some unkown massive gameplay feature that is coming up?
I think its advanced RP. But arcalane will probaly explain to you anyway.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Looks like you put some thoughtful planning behind all the stuff you've decided so far.

Perhaps, if things don't get far too complex, allow everyone to start with only default weapon types but they can 'upgrade' a set of weapons for some research cost.

For example, Faction C spends a large portion of resources and time to obtain 'Pulse Stabilizer' technology for their Pulse Guns and Gattling Pulses, increasing the range by 50% for a total of 600 pixel range with a small loss in either range or damage

At the same time, Faction E acquires 'Extended Burst Magazines' that doubles the shot capacity of a Gatling Blaster from four to eight, at the cost of doubling their reload times.

If you're willing to put up with it, including some form of tech upgrade tree will add another dimension to this cold war. I only speak for myself though.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Ok, now I really don't mean to be a nuisance, so my apologies if I'm failing miserably, but is it absolutely necessary to build completely new ships or can you use the hull designs for other ships as well? Just wondering.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

T-002 wrote:Ok, now I really don't mean to be a nuisance, so my apologies if I'm failing miserably, but is it absolutely necessary to build completely new ships or can you use the hull designs for other ships as well? Just wondering.
You Might be able to use old ships but they would have to be retrofited to the point contraints, when they are released.
Shenaldrac
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Shenaldrac »

It seems that you people working on this have put a lot of time and effort into it, good job! Do you have any idea of aproximatly when you will be accepting participant, or when the full rules/point cost chart will be done and put up? Again, I think this is a great idea, and thank you all for putting in the effort.
The battle was hard; 3 against 150. It took everything we had, and I was the only survivor, but we killed all three of the bastards.
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

Do you have any idea of aproximatly when you will be accepting participant, or when the full rules/point cost chart will be done and put up?
Arcalane Replyed in all rudeness when I asked the same thing:
Arcalane wrote:No. We will start a roster when the time comes. Until then, stop trying to make names. Understand?
I was kind of annoying him too. So I spared you.