WAR FOR THE GRAIL - Part 1: World Of Origin

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: WAR FOR THE GRAIL - Part 1: World Of Origin

Post by Doogie12 »

What Starstruck said, but maybe also use the surveillance to to attempt to find out what the other servants are capable of before we do anything. Waiting this out wouldn't be a bad option either, especially with how Assassin fights. Who knows? They may already be at each other's throats, ripe for an attack from the shadows.
naysayers will be shot
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

We, personally, do "A". We take a nap.

While we take a nap, assassin does "B". I want her investigating where archer is. Given the servants are giant robots, I'd imagine a giant robot spec'd in long range fighting could snipe us from across the planet possibly, so I want to know where such a threat is.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

I suppose I vote A. We can't be effective if we're not rested.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

I'm going with you. Rest, but get those mechs rigged up for that nice plan.
The only thing that would worry me is that nice gold man that jumped through a portal.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Assassin's right, though. I need to rest. I rise from my seat, wobbling a bit, and Assassin reaches out to steady me, gently patting my shoulders, "What would you like me to do while you're resting, Master?"

I raise a hand to rub my eyes, "The mechs. Do you think you could cobble together some automated drones from them, to use as decoys and distractions while fighting other Servants?"

She tilts her head slightly, "Hm. It's possible. I wouldn't really be able to make them any tougher than they already are, though, so they'd be sort of useless in an actual fight against a Servant, but as distractions they'd be perfect."

"Good. I'll leave that in your hands, Assassin." I tell her, moving to leave.

Assassin looked to me, "I'm going to check in on Saber too. It's important to keep an eye on the other Masters."

I hesitate by the door, leaning against the frame, and finally give her a nod of acknowledgement before stepping out. Making my way to the sleeping quarters I'd picked out for myself, I collapse into bed and lock the door, staring up at the ceiling. I suppose I should remove my armor, but it seems like so much hassle and now that I've finally laid down I don't really want to get up. My eyes slip closed, and soon I sink into a deep slumber.

In my dream I'm a young girl.

She's in a vast city unlike anything I've ever dreamed of before. A city that spans a world. There's a bright white moon overhead, partially obscured by a smaller, darker moon. The light troubles her, as she prefers darkness. She's cold, her clothes ill-fitting and worn with age, and she aches all over.

Moving quietly without ever seeming at all suspicious, she slips into one of many dark alleys and starts climbing an escape ladder. She ascends five floors, looking out over the railings. She feels an urge to jump, to jump and fly up into the air, free from this horrible world. But she can't. She'll fall. And so she turns and jimmies open the window into the building with practiced ease, slipping silently inside.

She searches through the contents of the abandoned home, taking a few valuable trinkets, before finding a computer. She stares at the screen for a moment, the face of a girl still in her childhood staring back at her, with tanned skin and short green hair, and eyes that have seen too much for someone so young.

She powers up the computer. Of course it wants a password. They always do. Passwords, fingerprints, optical and facial recognition. So many security measures. She smiles a little, starting to type. Her fingers are a blur as she cracks through some of the most advanced security software available as though it is child's play. Then again, she is a child, so I suppose that's exactly what it is.

Here with a purpose, she doesn't let herself get distracted by trivial matters. She steals swathes of data from the computer, everything that seems valuable, before erasing the hard-drive as she'd been instructed and quickly escapes the building. Back down the stairs, out of the alley, hands tucked away in her pockets, along with that datachip.

A short walk, another alley, and a man looms over her, holding out one hand and reaching out with another large, beefy hand to pat her head, "You did good, kid. Shame, though. Boss says you made too much of a mess last time."

"Wh-what? But I di-" She starts to protest, but one of those large, powerful hands covers her mouth and she's lifted off the ground like she were nothing more than a doll.

"Shhh. Quiet, kid. Boss don't care 'bout no excuses. Gonna make an example outta you." He told her, with a cruel grin, "Now hand over that chip, and I'll make sure you get put somewhere... cushy."

Her hands shook as she took the chip from her pocket, holding it out. Her reached for it, and at the last moment, she crushed it in her hand, a spark of light bursting from her fingertips. Her satisfaction only lasted a moment, before the beating started. It didn't stop for a long time.

I jolt awake, breathing heavily and soaked in sweat, feeling sore all over. What was that? Why did I dream that? It was so vivid, so real. That poor girl. I clench my teeth, shaking it from my mind. Whatever it was, it had just been a dream. Probably brought on by the feelings that seeing all these children, experimented on, drew out of me.

Adjusting my armor, I climb out of bed, stiff and aching. I definitely should have taken it off before sleeping, but at the very least I'm feeling more rested. It's a short walk back to the command center, and when I get there, Assassin is sitting in front of a computer, a steaming mug of coffee and a plate of pancakes sitting next to her.

"I didn't know you ate." I said as I stepped inside.

"Don't. Motion detectors registered you getting up, so I had breakfast brought in for you." Assassin replied, "I've also finished rigging up those mechs, like you asked, and I re-purposed one of them to act as a personal mech for you. It will also let you relay orders to the others."

"Wow... thanks, Assassin. I... honestly don't know what I'd do without you."

"Get yourself killed, probably."

I smile and sit down next to her, starting to eat, grabbing the mug of coffee and taking a sip, "We need to decide on our next course of action, then."

"You're right. After I finished with the mechs, I started keeping watch on things with the surveillance satellites." She said, pressing a few buttons and bringing up video.

A blue servant with a long, red weapon, like a spear, was fighting against a crimson Servant. They clashed again and again, the Red Servant firing with paired pistols that fired bursts of high-energy plasma. One was red, and the other white. I watched, fascinated, as the video footage showed them clashing, testing each other, obviously, neither one giving the fight even close to 100%. If they were using Noble Phantasms at all, then they weren't very powerful ones. The fight ended with both retreating, and Assassin turned to me, cocking her head.

"I was able to track both of them back to where they came from, so now we know the location of three different Servants. It's up to you which one we strike, Master." She told me.

I nod, watching the footage again. It's an easy decision. We...

A) Go after the Red Servant with guns
B) Go after the Blue Servant with the spear
C) Go after Saber
D) Spend more time increasing our defenses and laying low
E) Other
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

C) K I L L S A B E R

Even with this new information, she's still the one we know most about. With the assistance of Rider and the drones, we can capitalize on her and Galahad's known habits for some seriously underhanded tactics.

For instance, we know Saber's a tad hot-blooded, to the point where she went after Assassin on her own, and Galahad had to reign her in with a command thingamabob. If Marion/Assassin present different faces of themselves to Saber and Galahad, we may be able to get the pair's stances to diverge significantly enough that it leaves them wide open to attack. Social engineering!

Or we could just send up a massive distraction and stab Saber in the back while she's fighting someone else. That would work too.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

B). A servant who isn't aware of us is more vulnerable to assassination, and should all go wrong, a man with a spear is easier to fight at range than a man with pistols. But our method should be to lurk and wait to spring at just the right time. Like, if he even seems on guard, slink away and don't carry out the strike. It's time we actually fought like an Assassin.
-Desert-
Captain
Captain

Post by -Desert- »

We know more about Saber, but Saber also knows the most about us. Choose whatever Servant would be vulnerable to a serious distraction attack and be careful. Don't try to finish the Servant if he/she sees us. Ergo, B, as we are currently using ranged weapons.
Quite frankly I wonder why I ever began making ships for this. You see, my work never becomes quite as good as I feel it deserves to.
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

D. INFORMATION INFORMATION INFORMATION BUILD IT UP
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Latooni wrote:B). A servant who isn't aware of us is more vulnerable to assassination, and should all go wrong, a man with a spear is easier to fight at range than a man with pistols. But our method should be to lurk and wait to spring at just the right time. Like, if he even seems on guard, slink away and don't carry out the strike. It's time we actually fought like an Assassin.
I'm just gonna copy lat's vote here for mine.

I do also kinda think we should do what dan says and keep building more info on our targets though.
Ristyo
Captain
Captain

Post by Ristyo »

Latooni wrote:B). A servant who isn't aware of us is more vulnerable to assassination, and should all go wrong, a man with a spear is easier to fight at range than a man with pistols. But our method should be to lurk and wait to spring at just the right time. Like, if he even seems on guard, slink away and don't carry out the strike. It's time we actually fought like an Assassin.
Aralonia wrote:D. INFORMATION INFORMATION INFORMATION BUILD IT UP
We need to gather more information on the servant with spears.
The Comerlian Family

Dammit, didn't realize Starsector is really hard.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

Options to either kill Saber or Marion's brother keep coming up. I would think that being successful in this would diminish the story, or maybe Anna has something cool up his sleeve for the scenario. So I'm gonna call your bluff Anna: Target Saber.
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

"That Servant with the spear is our target. That would probably be Lancer, right?" I ask, taking a sip from my mug of coffee.

Assassin nods her head slightly, "Almost certainly. Based on my data, he's currently operating out of an old TAC Research Facility, close to the Grail."

"No risk of civilian casualties, then. Good." I lean back in my chair, staring at the still image of the blue Servant, "We'll need to be careful about this. I don't want to see you getting hurt again. You're Assassin, right? Straight up fights aren't your style. Nor are they mine."

"That's a wise decision, Master." Assassin says, "Things will go much more smoothly if we wait for the opportune moment to strike. Especially if you can get to Lancer's Master, so we can make a coordinated attack against them."

So we are in agreement regarding our current course of action. I let Blossom know what we intend to do, and instruct her that it will probably be for the best if she and Rider remain in the base, ready to defend themselves in case someone tries to attack them. They both agree with the idea, and after loading up on the equipment I need, Assassin and I head out.

My plan to get Assassin to build some mech drones worked out well. She'd converted 5 of the X-006 "Wolverines" and 2 M-AU 07 "Rapiers" into remote-controlled drones, and had made a light, fast mech for me, which could be used to issue commands to the drones. I climbed into that mech, activating its stealth systems - hardly as impressive as Assassin's but hopefully enough to get close to Lancer's base without being detected. We launch, and soon we're on our way.

It takes us two hours to get near the base, and once we're within a few kilometers, I arrange the drones in hidden ambush positions, and set my own mech up at the highest vantage point I can find. Assassin had also salvaged a particle cannon from one of the other guardians and converted it into a long-range sniper weapon.

"Alright, surveillance for now. We're not going to rush this." I tell Assassin, watching that base, "You're practically undetectable, so I want you to go in and check things out. Even if it seems like it might be safe, don't try to engage the Master yourself. We want to be nice and quiet."

Assassin nods, her large body starting to disassemble itself into dozens of smaller, specialized units, "I can do that. And you will stay here and keep an eye on the outside of the facility, and contact me if there's any incoming targets, yes?"

"That's right. It's possible we're not the only ones who found Lancer, after all. One of the other Masters could try to attack... oh. Take these with you." I tell her, handing over the MAMX grenades I had left, "Plant them where they'll cause the most damage. If we do have to bug out and abandon this for the moment, it'll still be useful to have explosives ready to set off in Lancer's base."

Assassin chuckled softly, taking the grenades, "Not a bad idea. Alright, stay safe." She says, disappearing.

I lean back in the cockpit of my mech, starting to adjust dials to fine-tune my camouflage systems. Considering I was completely stationary, I would be able to make my mech nigh undetectable by blending in with the surroundings more specifically and reducing power output as much as possible. I instruct the drone mechs to hide inside buildings or amongst the alien foliage, remaining far enough from the base and in such a low-powered state that they'd be very difficult to find if you didn't already know they were there.

The next few hours after that were quiet. No word from Assassin, and no signs of activity from the old research base. I sigh, taking a flask of water from my belt and drinking from it, leaning back in my chair, when I catch a glimpse of something red on a mountain peak in the distance. I check my passive sensors and find nothing in that direction. Not surprising, as the passive systems have fairly low ranges. Then I...

A) Magnify the image and see if I can make out what's up there.
B) Use active sensors and risk exposing my location.
C) Don't hesitate. Tell Assassin to get out and retreat. We don't need added complications.
D) Instruct Assassin to attempt a sneak attack on Lancer if she had the opportunity. Be prepared to ambush and snipe anything or anyone that attempts to flee the facility.
E) Other
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

A. Try to spot what's up there.

Be ready to do C if it's another servant.
Lukasmah
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Lukasmah »

Lizzie wrote:A. Try to spot what's up there.

Be ready to do C if it's another servant.
Seconded.
"Quotes posted on the internet are hard to verify."
-Abraham Lincoln