Goodknight - A Text Adventure Thread

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Goodknight - A Text Adventure Thread

Post by Anna »

To get down to the nitty-gritty of this thread, it's like a few I've done in the past. I will be describing the events occuring and the actions of the character, you lot will decide what the character does. It's pretty simple, right? Depending on the number of responses I get, I'll either go with the suggestion that gets the most vote, pick multiple suggestions if they're compatible, or just pick whichever sounds most interesting if there's no consensus. These first few posts will be sparse as I explain the setting and get you guys to vote on the character.

---------------------

The year is 2251. Your name is Madison Swift, and you are an Assassin, not born but created through a combination of biological and cybernetic growth. You were born today. You have the figure and mental maturity of someone in their early twenties. You were created by the Raztoran Syndicate, to serve as a tool of enforcement. You're standing in a sparsely furnished studio apartment looking out over the bustling metropolis of Moras on the planet Aphroditis, the window open, a cool breeze blowing across your bare skin. You look down at yourself, idly tracing a finger over the faint alphanumeric brand placed above your collarbone. What does it say?

Choices:
APCU-410: Anti-personnel combat unit, Model 410. The absolute latest in combat cyborgs, you're uniquely suited and indeed built for murder, roughly 50% biological and 50% cybernetic, your chassis contains multiple hidden weapons systems, including dart missiles, FM Blades and precision lasers, along with increased physical speed, strength, endurance and stamina.

IPU-X11: The eleventh prototype of the Infiltration Personality Unit, you are the first of your type to ever be deployed. Largely biological, with only a handful of small cybernetic enhancements, your design is absolutely top-secret. You were designed to approach targets and befriend or seduce them, and are equipped in multiple ways for such a task. Amongst your more unique features are limited shape-shifting, allowing for minor alterations to height and build, and significant alterations to facial structure and other identifying features, enhanced sweat glands that can be altered at-will to produce potent pheromones, and other glands which can produce a multitude of different toxins.

EOU-136: As an Excessive Offence Unit, you were designed with one ultimate goal; to cause utter destruction whenever and where-ever you strike. You are not a creature of stealth or subtlety, and it would take more than one miracle for you to ever pass as an unaltered human. More than 75% of your body is artificial, and almost every inch of it is encased in thick carbo-fibre skin or armoured alloys. Your most subtle weapons are FM Blades that extend from your arms, and they're large enough that describing them as 'subtle' seems almost humorous. And yet, your other weapons consist of high powered particle cannons, micro-missiles with antimatter warheads, and hyperspacial dispersion cannons. Any mission you're sent on is likely to be a slaughter rather than a precision strike.

RSG-000: You are a Razor Stealth Gynoid. You have no truly biological components at all. You are in fact the first fully sentient artificial lifeform to have been developed on this planet, and you were created to kill things quickly, quietly, and without fuss. Your body is made of incredibly lightweight materials and looks like the apex of human beauty in every respect. You are capable of rendering yourself almost completely invisible on every appreciable EM wavelength, with only hyperspacial technology being capable of reliably detecting you. Your only inbuilt weaponry is a single FM Blade that is stored in your left leg and ejected when needed for a job. You are unsuited to direct confrontation, and also possess an experimental displacement device, allowing you to teleport yourself or others up to 1000km in any direction, though it has a 1 in 200,000 chance of catastrophic failure when used, it is otherwise perfectly safe.

SSS-5410^7: Apparently a Standard Synthetic Slave, you are one of millions of a lower-class of citizen, created and typically used as servants and slaves, regarded as being sub-sapient and common everywhere. You are a slight improvement upon that, given more intelligence than the typical SSS unit and slightly enhanced physical capabilities. Your only true advantage is how unnoticeable you are due to seeming to be an everyday slave unit, and you've been fitted with a small neural lattice that will allow you to transmit your mind to safety in the event your synthetic body is destroyed or your cover is compromised.

Or is there something else on you instead? Perhaps you guys have some other suggestions, if you don't want to vote for one of these options. Let's see how this goes, eh?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
STARSTRUCK

Re: Goodknight - A Text Adventure Thread

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Plugging in a vote for APCU-410. As boring as it sounds, it seems the most practical.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

I vote RSG-000 because new things are fun.
Necrontyr1998
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Necrontyr1998 »

I think the IPU-X11 could be cool. The RSG-000 sounds like it would have a dry sense of humor (or none at all), I'd prefer it to be laughing whilst it was killing >:D
Deus Est Mechanicus

Owner of 'The Novian Empire', a Delphinius Gulf Wars faction.
Fleet Version 1.8 is finally available for download!
viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7081
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

IPU-X11.

The right deception can get you into more locked doors than blaster cannons; and the fun is all in the execution. No guns limiting what we can or can't do.

Since the IPU-X11 is decidedly non-combat, hopefully future upgrades would include improved information gathering methods to plan strikes and to aid our deceptions.
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

EOU-136
Starting as something basic, like most RPGs it appears to be the "fighter".
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

I'm voting IPU-X11.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

IPU! We need to seduce every person we see!
naysayers will be shot
Deltaflyer
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Deltaflyer »

Probably a wasted vote, but I think the SSS-5410^7 unit would be best.

Immortality, for one. Stealth in large groups for two and the ability to not be worth noticing for three.
Not enough Delta in your life? Have a look at https://twitter.com/Deltabacon1 - I do a fair amount of casting and esports analysis which may appeal to some of you who are that way inclined!
Zalausai
The Tutorialist
The Tutorialist

Post by Zalausai »

That was my original vote.
Has written a series of tutorials for the newbies
Zalausai's Tutorial Index

Created: Elements of Discord, Heaven's Grace, and Hell's Last Battalion.

I stop in from time to time to check in on the community. Though I don't spend much time with shipmaker anymore.
Proud parent since: 8/15/2013 (Baby Boy)

Good shipbuilders never die . . . they just fade away.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

Putting in another vote for the IPU-X11
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

IPU-X00 the faint brand says, and you smile faintly, the alphanumeric designator fading to nothingness as you alter the shape and pigmentation of your skin to hide it. This leaves you appearing as, for all intents and purposes, an ordinary human woman with the standard number of what appeared to be civilian cybernetic implants. For most people, it would take some invasive and easily-detectable scanning for them to tell you were anything other than that, though more advanced scanning equipment could potentially reveal your true nature.

You step away from the window, faint beeping alerting you to an incoming communication. You accept it, the holographic image of a tall, dark-haired woman in a crisp suit appearing slightly to the right in your field of vision, "IPU-X00, you have been deemed fit for your first mission. My name is Hannah, but while on missions you should address me by the call-sign Freya. Your own call-sign during operations will be Goodknight. Do you understand?"

You give a brief nod, "I understand, Hannah. Who is the target?"

She smiled faintly, quirking a brow, "Eager to get started, hm?"

Now that you're asked the question, you find yourself wondering that for the first time. You only came online mere hours ago, and you haven't really had the time to analyse your own thoughts and feelings on the matter. Are you eager? Do you look forward to killing those you're asked to and pleasing your masters? Does the act of killing itself seem like a regrettable necessity or something to be delighted in?

"I'm not sure." You reply to Hannah.

"Alright, well, your target is Graff Armaund, age 64, veteran of the Veronan Plate Conflict and current Chief of Security for the Moras Branch of the Raztoran Syndicate." She told you in a straightforward manner, an image of your target appearing hovering in your vision.

"Huh. One of our own?" You ask, and Hannah nodded grimly.

"Our investigations have revealed he was complicit in several security breaches that resulted in sensitive information and technology being compromised and leaked. Your objective is to kill him. For some missions, we may want your work to appear like the result of an accident, but this isn't one such occasion. This is to send a message that such treachery isn't tolerated. As a result of this, your orders are to also kill his daughter, Liliane Armaund, age 12, before you kill him." Hannah said, a faintly displeased expression on her face, "We're giving you complete discretion as to how you exterminate your targets, Madison. Let me know if there's any further information you'll need."

(So, do we need anymore information, or are we ready to go? And also, how DO you guys feel about being a cyborg killer?)
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Netharis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Netharis »

It seems we are already familiar with this man.
Is he aware that we're on to him?
I suggest we get his history, his combat logs and also a list of the aforementioned, leaked tech and info. Also, his and his daughter's schedules.
I guess I'd go with "regrettable necessity" which could bridge over to "vengeful and bat-shit insane" should we get misled and betrayed by our boss(es).

Edit: Oh, also the dimensions and appearance of his daughter.
Last edited by Netharis on Thu May 30, 2013 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Latooni
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Latooni »

Madison is not excessively put off by the concept of killing - after all, it's what she's rebuilt for. Killing validates her existence, in a way. A 12 year old girl is certainly unexpected, but... Well, if it must be done, it must be done.

Yet, of course, she's never actually killed before, so whether this holds up after she does it is hard to say.

It might be a good idea to re-acquaint ourselves with the toxins we can produce, the delivery system of the toxins, and the limitations of the shapeshifting.

Information Hannah can give us:
  • Equipment we have access to
  • Habits and vices of the primary target
  • Known defenses of the primary target
  • Psychological profile of the primary target (and secondary, if availible)
  • Caretaker/educator/babysitter of the secondary target
  • Medical history of secondary target
  • Address of above, as well as the primary target
  • The primary target's daily timetable and schedule calender
  • Identities of any highly placed secretaries or assistants to the primary target
  • Deadline, or lack thereof
EDIT: HOLY SHIT IMPORTANT QUESTION
DID WE ASK FOR THIS????
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

I'd say it may be too early to have a complete conscious about our killings but I'd certainly say we don't particularly enjoy them and find them more regrettable, except for the most vile of people of course. We'd also find meaningless murder distasteful. Honestly it seems rather unnecessary from our point of view I think to kill the daughter, I'd like us to refuse if we have the capacity.