CALIBURN - A BSF Quest

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

CALIBURN - A BSF Quest

Post by Anna »

This is heavily based-upon and influenced by STARSTRUCK's earlier CLARENT Quest, which itself was inspired by my Doppleganger Damacy quest before that. I was considering a new Doppleganger Damacy, but he suggested something like this, and others seemed to think it would be the best way to go, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

--

You're awakened by the violent shaking of your vessel emerging from a warp bubble, pain flashing through you as your body registers the damage to the ship using sensory input. You slam a hand against the console, disabling the sensory input subsystems - if it weren't for fail safes preventing such an occurance, you'd have died of shock. The ship is running on low power settings, the visual displays taking their sweet time in flickering to life, your commands going ignored as you attempt to pound them in.

"Atlantia, are you online?" You ask, mashing futily at a console, "Damnit, Atlantia, report!"

You're unable to get any visuals on the exterior of your ship, but the thumping of asteroids against your hull is not particularly reassuring. The consoles have frozen up completely now, every attempt to enter a command being countered with "Command rejected: Error 521".

Error 521 was the AI override command. The ship's AI has informed your vessel - the experimental Adaptive Nanocore CAL-83 - to reject all pilot input. You could feel the ship moving, thrusters slowly accelerating, could hear the adaptive mechanisms at work. For you to be able to hear it is bad. Last you remembered, the core of your ship had been buried in thick tungsten and ceramic plating, a beast of a ship nearly half a mile in length.

"Atlantia, report." You mumble one more time, half-heartedly, kicking the console in frustration.

Suddenly, a screen flickers to life, displaying an external video feed of your ship, from one of your many camera drones. You stare in disbelief, "What the fuck..."
The picture quality is shit, but the repair-drones will fix that up soon enough. More troubling iss the fact that it seemed your ship had lost more than 95% of its mass. Hardly any of it was left, and what it did have - the power core, weapons, even most of the hull plating - was just scraps that it seemed the AI had collected to get the ship into a semi-functional state. Sure enough, the ship was taking your commands now.

"Atlantia?" You ask again, hesitantly.

"Not pretty, is it? I'm sorry, sir, Atlantia was irreperably damaged by the dimensional rift that nearly destroyed your vessel during a routine warpjump." Comes the response, the holographic image of a young girl appearing to your right, perhaps fourteen, with curly blonde hair and a white summer dress, "I'm the backup AI, Caliburn."

You sigh, "Don't call me, 'sir', Cali," you mumble, while looking over the schematics of what little of a ship you have left.

Over the next half-hour, the two of you talk while passively examining your surroundings. You're in the middle of a reasonably well populated asteroid belt, which is a good thing. Caliburn was able to scavenge a few bits and pieces from old wrecks and derelicts. There's plenty of radio chatter and some FTL communications in the area, much of it encrypted, some not. What you can pick up is in no language you recognise, and Caliburn has no record of any of it, but her translation software was able to decipher the alien language in short order, and you're able to learn that there's quite a bit of piracy in the area.

It's up to you how to progress. Right now, the asteroid belt is hiding you from passive sensors, but it's also hiding everyone else from your own passive sensors. You're picking up a mining base roughly twenty thousand clicks away, but other than that, you're flying blind unless you use your active scanners, which is problematic, as they'll give away your position as well. You probably won't have anything to worry about against one or two pirate ships, but any more of that would definitely fuck you up in your current state.

And to make things better, the stars don't conform with any of the 14 galaxy maps in Caliburn's data banks. You could be fucking anywhere. While you're trying to decide what to do, you stare in frustration at the technical readout of your ship's current equipment.

Various Damaged Sections
(1000kg)
Light Fusion Core I
(1200MW output, 1,500kg)
Light Mining Lasers x 2
(120MW, 800kg)
Medium Thruster I
(100MW, 6,250kgf output)
Active Scanning Array I
(50MW, 200kg)
Passive Scanning Array I
(40MW, 200kg)
Light Solar Collectors
(300Mw output, 120kg)

Displacement: 4,220kg
Total Thrust: 6,250kgf
Energy Usage: 310/1500MW
Max Velocity: 148ms-1*
Turning Speed: 0.51°s-1
Acceleration: 4ms-2*
TAPS Setting: 400m, Normal**

*Velocity and Acceleration are displayed as SM values x100. Thus, your current Speed is actually 1.48.
**TAPS (Tactical Automated Positioning System) Setting is the distance and orientation your ship will normally maintain from its target in battle. A TAPS reconfiguration can be requested at any time.
Alright, Wyrd, how do you progress?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: CALIBURN - A BSF Quest

Post by Cynsye »

Just under a quarter of the entire ships mass is "damaged". I think repairs are in order: Would hoovering up some asteroids let that happen?
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Mine and repair. Failing that, wide-area scan.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Cynsye wrote:Just under a quarter of the entire ships mass is "damaged". I think repairs are in order: Would hoovering up some asteroids let that happen?
A thought strikes you, and you spin in your chair, examining a few more consoles, "Caliburn, we have these mining lasers. Can we gather raw materials from these asteroids to aid in repairs?"

Caliburn furrows her brows, looking thoughtful for a moment, before giving a brief shake of her head, "While the mining lasers could break the meteorites down, we don't currently have a means to process the ore into useful materials. The core's nanobots are designed to integrate existing technology into the ship, but aren't suited for breaking down and processing raw materials." She replied.

You sigh, "Well, it was worth considering, anyway."
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Cynsye
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Cynsye »

In that case, there is little we can really do in this asteroid belt beyond attract pirates: There is a mining station nearby, lets grab some ore, haul it over there, and put the translator to the test. They may have items for sale/exchange.

Keeping an eye out for hostiles of course, keeping passive sensors on as much as possible.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

I'll second Cynsye's proposal, except for the part about merely keeping passives on. It's tempting to send out just a little active ping... At least we'll get to know the neighbours and all that.
Darkone
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Darkone »

Eh, head for the station and keep quiet. No sense drawing attention.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Send out a large scan.
Jafo
Captain
Captain

Post by Jafo »

Passives only, mine ore and take to the mining station.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

No actives. Keep monitoring that chatter, see if we can filter any useful information out of it. System location, names of planets/etc., nearby systems, and so on.

Then wander over to the mining base and fill in the gaps.

Nobody likes a stupid, lost tourist.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

I'd suggest an active scan of the area, focusing on the route towards the mining base. It's a likely place to attract raiders, and we can't afford to run into them blind in our current state. Even if we ping them with the active sensors we should still be able to outrun or atleast evade them in the asteroid field.

Also requesting a TAPS change to flanking AI to reduce damage in the case of a hostile encounter.
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

I say we stick with passive until we get fairly near the mining base. Then, assuming it's not hostile, we do an active scan when we're near to let us see what the passive scanners can't pick up while still staying safe.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

-mine some raw material 'if' we have the capacity to carry any, for use in trading later.
-I second Arcalane mostly. Keep passive scan on all vectors except towards the mining station, where I suggest we send a ping or two. Otherwise monitor com chatter to give the translator more to work with and head towards the station cautiously if there is nothing else we can gather in the area...
-I'm guessing not, but do we have any sort of probe/beacon/etc that we could send in or lay down on the asteroids to have an active map?
+1 to taps change.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I wish I could say I have any desire to continue this, but I don't. During the break I had while planning things for it and building ships for it, I kinda lost all interest in Shipmaker again. And I had a birthday two days ago. And started a new job yesterday which leaves me so exhausted that I spend three hours browsing websites upon getting home, and then go to bed.

Speaking of which... bed.

But I may continue this sometime in the future.
Quality Control Enforcer
Bad Boy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bad Boy »

Not exactly unexpected or unwaranted, I think most have lost interest in SM.

More importantly, happy birthday man; I hope it was a lot of fun :)