Pages of the Soul - An Interactive Story

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Pages of the Soul - An Interactive Story

Post by BoVinE »

It is quite unwise to entrust someone with the deepest part of our-self when even we do not know its depths.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

BoVinE wrote:It is quite unwise to entrust someone with the deepest part of our-self when even we do not know its depths.
So why don't we find out then?

We should give it to her, but shouldn't we ask why we should give it to her in the first place? Like Flabort said, she's over 300 years old. She's probaly done to same to countless other people. She shouldn't really be suprised if we ask.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

What does the name Oren mean, by the way? It most certainty can't mean anything like 'warrior' or 'chosen'. Does it mean 'trusting', perhaps?
It's merely a name. I believe it's some sort of old word for a type of tree.

Loza held out her hand, smiling at me, and I made my decision. Drawing upon my Soul Tome, words of glowing power crept over my skin, down my arms and into my hands. The page of the sword formed in my right hand, and the page of radiance formed in my left. The former twisted and glowed, shifting into the shape of a sword, while the latter burst into flames in my hands and granted me the ability to see what is normally unseen.

I almost fell off the pier at the sight. For Loza's smiling face had become dark and shadowed, her seafoam green eyes now sickly yellow, and twice as large as they should be. That smile that had seemed so friendly now seemed menacing and hungry, filled with rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth. Staring at me, the thing that had been wearing Loza's face laughed.

"Not bad. So you're not a complete idiot." It said, its voice causing my head to ache, "But never draw one sword. If you suspect a foe, draw many. You can never have enough weapons."

I snarled, "What are you?"

"A friend of Loza's." The creature replied with a laugh, "She and I have been close friends for nearly two centuries now."

"I don't believe you. No member of the Brotherhood would consort with a demon."

The demon shrugged and pointed towards another pier. I turned to look, and there the real Loza stood watching us, her Soul Tome held in hand, glowing brightly with a power only I could see. She gave me a nod, and I turned back to the demon. Now it was wearing a different form, that of a young girl with short, dark hair, and pale skin that shone faintly in the moonlight. She couldn't have been older than fourteen, by the look of things.

"I'm one of the Heartless. In Harpine, a few centuries ago, they sacrificed young girls to their God by carving out their still-beating hearts, and placing a demon inside," It said, staring at me with cold grey eyes, "But we are demonic souls housed alongside mortal ones, in mortal bodies, so we can choose to be more. All demons in mortal bodies but the Soulless are capable of choosing a side. I've chosen to side with Loza."

I still held my sword, but I was less tense now. If Loza trusted this creature, then I suppose I could do the same, "And what is your name, then?"

"I have no name, but Loza calls me Kindness." The demon said, a thoughtful look on her face as she turns her gaze downward, "The first time we met, I was destroying a village that had rejected to worship Hephaestus. She fought me, and I defeated her. I was going to kill her, too, but... I felt something. I felt sick with what I had done. I broke down right there and started weeping, and she saved me, when she could have slain me right there."

I gave a short nod of my head, releasing the sword I held in my hand and letting it disperse into nothing, "Well then, Kindness. It's a pleasure to meet you."

The demongirl nodded her head faintly, "And you, Oren."

With that, her form flickered, distorting the air around her as she vanished with surprising speed. I rose from my seat and turned to see the real Loza approaching, clad in her robes, hands behind her back. She didn't look at me, her blue-green eyes staring off over the dark, rippling sea, at something I could even guess at.

"So that was a test?" I asked her.

"More of an introduction, but yes, also a test." Loza replied, finally turning to meet my gaze, "One you passed. Some of our order would have attacked Kindness the instant they saw the demon within her, but you did not. She may be a demon, but she's also a young girl, and she has given me much aid over the years. With her help, we were able to destroy the corrupt religion in Harpine and kill their God, Hephaestus."

I glanced at her, curious, "There really was a God?"

Loza shrugged, "A demon that consumes enough human souls will eventually attain the power of a God. After all, we are made of dead Gods. Hephaestus was, fortunately, not too powerful."

"And something like that could be happening in Yomenae too?" The thought of a demon devouring human souls to become a God sickened me.

"There have been reports of Heartless there. Where there are Heartless, there is usually a God." She replied, "They're some of the most powerful and dangerous foes we face. Second only to the Soulless, and a God-Demon Incarnate."

Tucking my hands into my pockets, I turned to look at her, "I've never heard of these terms before. Soulless and Heartless. Will you teach me these things?"

"I will teach you of them, yes." Loza replied, "I will teach you of the forms demons take when they inhabit human bodies, I will teach you how to find them, how to battle them, and how to kill them, if you need to."

I nodded my head and turned to walk past her, "Our boat leaves in the morning, right? I'm going to get some rest."

"A good idea. And on the trip, you can learn another page." Loza suggested, "Once you've mastered more pages, I will teach you something few others in the Brotherhood know."

That was an exciting prospect. The night passed uneventfully, and the next morning we boarded a vessel headed for Yomenae. It was going to take at least another three weeks, and we'd spend most of it at sea. I still had the page with the image of a lance upon it, and the page with the image of a chain on it that I could learn. Both Loza and Kindness will be on the boat as well, should I spend time one of them, or see if I can find a friend among the crew and the other passengers?
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Regardless of who we interact with, I maintain that we should study the chain page first. It sounds... interesting.

I don't wager we'll obtain a ridiculous constrictor move where twenty-odd metal chains fly out of portals and entangle our target, but a man can dream.
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

Befriend the ship's captain, if at all possible, but spend much time conversing with Kindness, and prompting Loza for more information and training.
And study the Chain page, if we can't turn to the back page of the book and try to make sense of it.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

I say get chatty with the captain and everyone else (if anyone). More friends = good.
And yeah, I say the chain. Just for the hell of it.

OOC: Are you making this story yourself, Silver, or are you getting it from somewhere? If it's the former, you are a god. If it's the latter, I'd like to know where these are.
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.