Gene Pool - Genetic Standoff

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Gene Pool - Genetic Standoff

Post by STARSTRUCK »

The Game
Come one, come all! to the most magnificent festival of fucking, eating and macroevolution!
A battle tournament in which the creatures of Gene Pool duke it out to determine the fastest, hungriest and horniest species of them all!

Gene Pool is an evolutionary simulator of sorts. It simulates evolution through natural and sexual selection in a bunch of stick-creatures called "swimbots".
The vast majority of the species that are produced randomly are non-viable (i.e. they have NFI how to actually swim). When a viable swimbot emerges, it tends to annihilate everything else. Here, different species of these "annihilators" shall be pitted against each other.

I wish to conduct a 2v2v2v2 Gene Pool tournament using a ruleset (and possibly RP style) similar to that of the old Great Gene Pool Competition.
In each match, prime breeding pairs from four species are selected and placed at opposite ends of a pool running the default rules of nature.
The pool will run until a dominant species emerges; a species that will be declared the winner of the match!

The Aftermath
After each match, a prime evolved specimen from the winning species is chosen to represent the species in subsequent matches. A species may become significantly more powerful as it progresses through the tournament. Or it could evolve a bunch of useless dongs from accidentally fucking an enemy swimbot. This keeps it interesting.

How to Play
1. Download Gene Pool 6 from here.
2. Create a dominant species through one of two methods:
  • i. Start a random pool and wait a few hours for a dominant species to emerge.
  • ii. Randomize a swimbot until an interesting shape appears.
3. Improve it by either allowing it to evolve on its own or engineering it manually.
4. Choose a prime specimen and save its dna.
5. Post an action shot or two here, but don't post the .dna in public. PM it to me. Wouldn't want anyone uncovering your genetic secrets.
The only enforced rule to creating your swimbot is that it has to be your own, whether it be through natural evolution, random thrashing or through careful engineering.

Each player can submit up to two species. And make sure to RENAME the files so that I don't get fucked over.
When both of your species are dead, you may be able to submit another pair if there is a significant gap in the rosters.

Doesn't matter if you've tried this program before before. If you're interested, make ready your swimbots.

Species Roster
Match 1
  • LegBot (flabort) LEGGED OUT
    Twisterbot (Anna) TWISTED KILL
    Diggle (BoVinE) DUG ITS OWN TOMB
    Cancerbot (Chiiro)
Match 2
  • RedLegBot (flabort) DIES THREE TIMES FASTER
    Flipperbot (Anna) FLIPPED A GEAR
    Squiddle (BoVinE)
    MustardBot (STARSTRUCK) DIDN'T PASS MUSTARD
Match 3
  • Cancerbot (Chiiro)
    Squiddle (BoVinE)
    H141 Monobot (vidboi)
    Legbot 1.5 (flabort)
Undecided
  • Legbot 1.6 (flabort)
    H142 Polybot (vidboi)
EDIT: Rules updated. Submit two species plx. They can be different ones, or the exact same species if that's how you roll.
EDIT: Rules updated AGAIN. You may now submit two more species after your earlier pair has been defeated.
Last edited by STARSTRUCK on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:51 pm, edited 15 times in total.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Gene Pool - Genetic Standoff

Post by BoVinE »

I'm a sucker for this stuff, sure.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

It was a wintery day in Moscow. Snow covered the rooftops and streets in thick sheets of white. It was as cold as ever; 25 below freezing.

Yet this year, something was different. This year, the Russian Federation had reluctantly agreed to host the infamous Genetic Tournament in its capital city. And today, the torrent of people had arrived.

Every man, woman and child in the city shifted their gaze towards the Luzhniki Complex as soon as the flares were fired to mark the opening of the Genodome's doors. A primal, instinctive call rang out in their minds. They each knew that they had to get there first. They knew that there wouldn't be enough seats for everyone.

The streets rapidly devolved into a vision of the apocalypse. People shifted forth in massive waves, leaving their automobiles, their infants and their elderly stranded on the curbs. The weak were trampled, and the strong climbed above the shoulders of the rest to reach their ultimate goal. But the city police made no attempt to control the wave of people, a grisly sight though it was. They knew that this was a force of nature which they could never control. They knew that they would be killed if they attempted to intervene.

People of all races and nationalities flooded into the Luzhniki Genodome's vast interior space through its six gaping entrances. It was a rotund building, measuring a staggering 230 feet in diameter with a projected capacity of 401,280 spectators. High above, gigantic spotlights inlaid into the ceiling cast blinding white light into the seating areas.

And in the very center of the dome was a wafer-thin square of plastic measuring mere millimeters across, hermetically sealed inside a small glass sphere suspended above the crowd by thin cables. Tiny cameras eyed every movement of the bio-digital organisms on the square's surface, projecting their magnified feeds onto gigantic displays arranged inside the Dome in a circular pattern. Yes, it was this piece of plastic that hundreds of thousands of people would come to see every two years. It was on this minuscule square that the basal desires of all life on Earth would play out: the desire to eat, and the desire to reproduce.

Its ludicrous magnetism was such that nothing would deter the cascade of spectators, all dressed in winter clothing for the Genodome's lack of internal heating. Some spectators could be seen holding up signs with deep phrases like "EAT! FUCK! KILL!" and pictures of victorious swimbot champions from previous tournaments. There was a cacophony of coughing, whistling, cheering, crying and screaming... All the sounds of man could be heard, all his wicked sights seen, all his primal insanity felt in this condensed diorama of humanity.

After roughly half an hour, the doors of the Dome finally closed themselves, sealing thousands of people inside of it. A cavernous silence filled the building as the rapturous few inside waited for the announcers' voices to echo from the PA system...

"Welcome to the Luzhniki Genodome!", said one of the two announcers, an American speaking from an armor-plated tower above the seating areas. "I'm Harold Sussey-McCall, and we are broadcasting live from Moscow! A gigantic audience has gathered here today-- over 400,000 people, in fact-- for the greatly awaited Bi-Annual Genetic Tournament!"

The crowd went wild. So deafening was the noise that television broadcasters were forced to disconnect their audio feeds in fear of frying their equipment.

"And I am Pavel Volkonsky!", said the other announcer in a thick Russian accent. His frosted-over mustachio twitched as he spoke. "Yes, Harold, once again we are witnessing greatest gathering of souls in history of mankind! Men and woman from around the world have traveled thousands of miles for to witness this spectacle!"

On the eastern stand, a mass of roughly 20,000 yellow-shirted spectators stood up in unison and began undressing in successive waves as if to show their approval. Goosebumps formed on their exposed skin in the freezing cold. Such was their ferocious dedication to the sport.

"Yeah, it's gonna be a looooooong night!", Harold said excitedly. "Pavel, I think it's time to begin the first match of the tournament! Let's meet our four swimbot combatants!"
And this is where we stand. The match will start as soon as I have four species.

Remember, 99% of the bots randomly generated by Gene Pool are complete abortions. But you'll know the remaining 1% when you see it!
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

I'll see if I can whip-up a swimbot or two...

Arg! Junk, Junk, Junk!

This... may take a while to produce anything worth submitting.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Personally I like DarwinBots better, but that's also harder to use in most cases. But I'll try working out a species for this.
Also what sort of settings will there be for this?
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

The frusterating thing is, I keep either getting long worm like ones that can swim like the wind, but steer like a brick, or I get four legged squids that can barely move at all.
By not being able to steer, the worms keep isolating and killing themselves, and the squids... well, since they can't move, and they just sit on their eggs, they've grown quite a population. :(
Shifter55
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Shifter55 »

The annoying part for me is getting the phases right on long-armed squids so their motion stays smooth. Whenever I get a decent one it goes into a fit 2 minutes later, stops and does nothing or start going backwards.
Why limit yourself to being just human?
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Just panning here: Are you guys still on this?

I'll be somewhat disappointed if I don't get any submissions at all. It's not like I have particularly high standards. Although, I believe it was to be expected.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

still watching those swimbots wiggle anywhere apart from where they're supposed to wiggle =/
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Am I doing this right?
I think I'm doing this right.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

...oh dear =S

i want those swimbot's babies!
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

If ever I could get a swimbot to actually work, then yes, I'm still in. Unless you get enough people otherwise before I can.

Edit: Anyways I could get my hands on some sort of guide to how the various genes actually work? This is driving me nuts!
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

Alrighty. I've got one!
Unfortunately, i'm having trouble of another sorts:
You see, although I'm not a Mac fan, I'm stuck using one, and they don't really come with much software for capturing images. So, I cannot post images of my swimbots in action...
However, I've got a swimbot. Assuming the upload and PM will work, here goes. I'll attempt to describe it, instead. In tiny text:
It's got a flouresent green head, and imediately branches into two dark purple legs. These contain one joint, and branch into feet, similarly to but entirely different from the "frogs" in that setup. The feet have 2-3 toes, with each toe having 0-2 toes each. The Toes seem to be randomly swolen, even when loading from DNA, the swelling of the toes is completely random. Although I saved them to the DNA unswolen.
The second one I have is simply a palate swap of the first.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Chiiro wrote:Am I doing this right?
I think I'm doing this right.
I would not mind in the slightest if you submitted that bot to the tourney. Hell, I think I'd be a very happy dude.

flabort wrote:Edit: Anyways I could get my hands on some sort of guide to how the various genes actually work? This is driving me nuts!
It ain't no Creature Creator. It seems to be specifically designed to be as counter-intuitive as possible. As such, a guide hasn't been written... yet.

Alrighty. I've got one!
Submission received.
It's a pretty interesting species.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Submitted two bots to conquer the competition.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.