Gene Pool - Genetic Standoff

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

STARSTRUCK

Re: Gene Pool - Genetic Standoff

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Round 1, Match 1: Pre-Game Breakdown
LegBot (flabort)
vs
Twisterbot (Anna)
vs
Cancerbot (Chiiro)
vs
Diggle (BoVinE)

With four players ready, it's finally time for the first match to begin...

The monitors around the arena whirred to life in spastic flashes. All displayed a massive zoomed-in image of the first species' breeding triad. Seeing this, the crowd went into convulsions.

"Iiiiiiiiiiiin the west corner...!", Harold began. "It's Legbot, the heavily-engineered brainchild of Flabort Genomics Incorporated!"

"Yes, is Legbot", Pavel echoed stiffly. "Made with genetic engineering. How interesting. What it is do, Harold? What is for?"

Harold sighed. "Couldn't you at least pretend to be excited, Pavel-old-pal?"

"Yes, but. I am curious, is all. I must know its original purpose."

Harold dropped his voice to a hushed tone. "The Legbot is designed to lap up oil spills, I heard. Like the one that happened in the South China Sea last month. But the thing is? It hasn't been tested yet."

"So this is maiden voyage for Comrade Legbot?", Pavel suggested with a smile.

"So it would seem."

"Any-of-the-way, it is time for to introduce second contestant", Pavel said, bringing the previous line of conversation to a close. "In east corner is Cancerbot. Inauspicious name. Research of ChiiroDyne Biomedics Co. Ltd, from Japan. What is the story on this one?"

"Well, Pavel, you ever heard of HeLa cells? Cancerbot is their distant descendant! This particular strain was developed for research into the destruction of tumors classified as 'ludicrously malignant' by ChiiroDyne."

"Yes, HeLa cells. Still-dividing cancer cells from some nondescript American woman who kicked bucket one hundred years ago. Much hardier than human cells... more interesting too. On to the third species?"

"In the south corner is Diggle! The creation of Bovine Biofuels Gumbuh-- WHUH?" Harold seized upon seeing the alien, unfamiliar word before his eyes.

"Typical American. It is Bovine Biofuels GmbH! GEE-EMM-BEE-ECH. German term", Pavel corrected in a patronizing manner. "Even I know this one. This little comrade turns cow govno into kerosene. Very useful!"

"And last but not least is Twisterbot, in the north corner. Very solemn brother, spawn of Seraph Terraforming Conglomerate. It is a pollution marker for biome restoration! Turns a different color when distressed, or something like that."

"...thank you for that explanation, Pavel. But I think that's enough talking for one day."

"Yes", Pavel agreed. "Place your bets, everyone. It is game time."
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Round 1, Match 1: Standoff

The camera zooms out to a view of the entire bio-wafer. Four frozen breeding triads could be seen positioned at opposite ends of a food disc in the middle of the wafer.

Mirroring these triads, four representatives from the competing megacorps sat hooked up to their cyberdecks at opposite ends of the arena, basking in the light of the monitors. The spectators eyed them with curiosity, but were too enthralled by the monitor displays to really give a shit.

"For those with poor imaginations, this is the state of the game", Harold explained. "That thing in the middle is a food disc! It contains all the required nutrients to maintain healthy growth (and reproduction) in bio-digital organism cultures!"

At last, an electric shock was sent through the disc, rousing the four species from their long sleep.

The first of the species to reproduce was Diggle. Two mini-Diggles were produced almost immediately.

"While cool, the First FuckTM is no reliable indicator of victory. Anything could happen after thi--"

"Question", Pavel spoke up. "Why is this species moving so spastic?"

"I haven't got a fucking clue. But it certainly seems to be working, sorta!"

"It does not bode well for its energy efficiency. It may not last the match."

However, Cancerbot caught up quickly. It quickly overtook the Diggles in terms of numbers.

"As expected from cancer", Pavel breathed. He watched the monitors intently, with keen eyes like a Siberian sighthound. "To the ladies in this gathering: This is true face of cervical cancer. Get checked today!"

Meanwhile, Twisterbot was still twisting around, not making much progress at all.

"That motion isn't getting it anywhere fast", the American announcer explained. "Sucks for it."

"So the dominant species now are the Diggles and the Cancerbots."

"That seems to be the case. Something interesting may happen when they encounter each other, yes?

"All I know is: One of them is going down!"

Meanwhile, Legbot was making even less progress than the Twisterbots. They hadn't even made a single baby yet!

"Evolution: 1. Genetic engineering: 0."

Shit! Look at that, American! They have made contact!

Fucking finally!

A thick tendril of the Cancerbot mass suddenly sped towards the Diggle horde. Their tendril-forming group behavior stood in sharp contrast to the wall-like formation of the Diggles.

The crowd went... well, "wild" wasn't quite the right word. The Luzhniki Genodome was filled with pandemonium in its purest form. This was what they came here to see: Conflict at last!

The Diggles were rapidly overwhelmed. They were outnumbered and outfucked by the swarm of Cancerbots.

"Cancer... It is cancer."

"Pavel, are... are you okay?"

"I am perfectly fine, comrade. Leave me be."

They also extended their mass north, towards the still-budding group of Twisterbots. It was a lopsided encounter, to say the least.

"Oh god, the humanity!", Harold cried, mock-covering his eyes. "This is gonna be a twisted fight!"

"Not all swimbots are born equal, as you can see. 'Disparity' is name of the game."

Soon, they even began to encroach upon the Legbots, who were still without offspring.

"...hell is that Diggle doing there?"

"It spasmed its way there, most probably."

After engulfing both the Twisterbots and the Diggles, the Cancerbots had consumed roughly 70% of the food disk.

"Honestly? I just can't see any of the other three species magically having an epiphany at this stage of the match."

"I do not think it is time to announce the winner just yet. Let us see how the match pans out."

The Cancerbot wave had now thoroughly overtaken the Twisterbots.

The last Diggle died somewhere along the way.

And then the Cancerbots' growth finally died down, leaving nothing but roaming Cancerbots in its wake.

Three species had been annihilated in mere minutes. And the only sound that could be heard was the sound of cheering.

"That was a good curbstomp", Harold grinned.

"Indeed!", the Russian nodded in agreement. "A good start. And as you say, 'a good beginning is half done'."

As the applause faded, a series of faint whirring sounds could be heard emanating from below the seating areas of the Genodome. The spectators looked left and right, confused. It appeared that numerous small, circular ports had been opened in the structure.

Suddenly, foaming fountains of cheap beer erupted from the ports. The Dome was filled with celebration, for a victor had emerged and alcohol now flowed freely.

GAME, SET, MATCH!
Cancerbot wins!

A new iteration of Cancerbot has emerged! Sadly, it is not very different from the original.

New players are always welcome. Always.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Haha, holy shit. I didn't expect Twisterbot to do very good, but goddamn, Chiiro's Cancerbot is a thing of dark and terrible beauty.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Diggle I will avenge theeeeee
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

Well, that didn't work well :P
If you'll give me a moment, I'd like to change my Second submission.
I obviously can't change my first, though :P

Edit: Well, now I seem to be having difficulties with
A) Saving and copying genes
B) Siblings
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

I'm ~tired~ of RL. Let's get some Gene Pool up in this bitch.

They haunted Marin even after she removed her visor. The luminous technicolor shapes would dance behind her eyelids every time she blinked. Even after she departed her 'deck, her heart still palpitated vigorously in her chest. Her knit vest was drenched in her sweat. Hers was the face of a woman who had narrowly escaped a painful death.

While she still lived, what she did in that deck would result in the demise of three people. Knowing this, she felt a pang of guilt. She recalled the man from Flabort Genomics: a stocky man in his early forties, with his good-natured smile and warm, welcoming eyes. Now dead; shot through the head by a distant sniper.

The German who monitored the Diggles was found wedged between a brick wall and the bumper of a Toyota Prius. Nobody could tell if it was another brake failure or a deliberate ramming. Regardless, the driver had long vacated the hybrid.

The Seraph jockey had collapsed on his 'deck. The parameds declared him dead on the spot. Code-activated neurotoxin granules implanted into his skull, most probably. It was a shame... He was just a boy. In his early twenties, by the looks of it.

Marin was the only one remaining. She wouldn't die. At least not yet. She had monitored the Cancerbots and edged them to victory, and therein was her right to live. It was obvious that the Cancerbots had evolved well, but would they hold up to the tests ahead? Would Marin suffer the same fate as those three from before, or would she rake in the prize money-- a staggering thirty million USD-- and retire early to an opulent life?

It was all up to the Cancerbots. Those tiny yellow-and-red creatures she had grown so attached to in her time at the Corporation. Her life was entirely in their hands.

She relegated to her rest room, edging past the crowds and up the stairs. An armed guard showed her to her quarters.

It was a warm place. Perhaps the only warm place in the Genodome. For all the world, it looked like a normal office lounge, complete with a coffee machine and a small houseplant.

Cuppa in hand, Marin collapsed in the couch and flipped open her portable 'deck. Her next match was still a ways off, but the new iteration of Cancerbot was... interesting. It wouldn't hurt in the least to have a peek.

"...hey, you know what time it is?"

"Motherfuck, yeah!"

Round 1, Match 2: Pre-Game Breakdown
Squiddle (BoVinE)
vs
Mustardbot (STARSTUCK)
vs
Flipperbot (Anna)
vs
RedLegBot (flabort)

"Hello, and welcome to the second match of the tournament! Iiiiiiit's swimbot pandemonium, as the greats are pitted against each other!"

"In the south corner is... Squiddle! Squiddish little guys!"

"The Bovine corporation shows its brilliance again. This one is introduced into cattle foods in order to kill harmful parasites inside bovine intestinal tracts. Seems mundane, but it is difficult work."

"To the north of the food disk is Mustardbot, representing the work of STARSTRUCK Pharmaceuticals. There is little data on this one, but from its name, one would assume that serves some purpose, in, er... food fermentation?"

"Evil little bastards! Like mustard gas!"

"...yes, of course."

"To the east is another entry from the Seraph Terraforming Conglomerate! It's Flipperbot!"

"Data on this one is also scarce. Its light, feathery build would betray that it is meant to be spread through the air somehow."

"And to the west is... Hmm? They look familiar."

"Oh my god. It's LegBot."

"Except red."

"Right. Hope it puts up a better show than the last one! Let the match begin!"
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

Round 1, Match 2: Standoff!

The monitors turned on and bathed the darkened Genodome in light once again. The electric shock had been released; the match had begun.

Squiddle was the first to reproduce this time. Its speed was frightening.

"And the First FuckTM goes to Squiddle!"

"This one's coordinated movement pushes it through the water with high speed and commendable efficiency. I don't have anything against spastic species, but this... Squiddle pleases me."

"I'm catching your drift, Pavel. This is one level-headed swimbot!"

Mustardbot was also reproducing quickly. Its characteristic agility was on display.

"It's all squiggly and horny and all... but what's this? It can do a full one-eighty turn instantaneously!"

"A one-in-a-million adaptation. An unusual motion, too. It is not as efficient as Comrade Squiddle, but its agility may win out in the end."

One of the Flipperbots appeared to have drifted off somewhere, leaving the other two to produce offspring on their own.

"The breeding triad is supposed to be composed of three genetically identical individuals..."

"...But some species exhibit randomness even among clones! It's what we call a 'spastic genome'!"

"...well, the red ones go faster, as they say."

However, the RedLegBots' growth was about to come to a sordid end...

"A freak mating chase pattern is causing the entirety of the Squiddle population to jet towards the LegBots' spawn area in a conga line!"

"What is this, I don't even...?"

In less than a minute, the Squiddles had arrived to put the nail in the coffin on the genetically engineered Legbot menace.

However, they had wasted crucial time while the Mustardbot population peaked precipitously.

"This is gonna be close."

With the food drained from their own spawn area, the Legbots were quickly annihilated.

"Evolution: 2. Genetic engineering: still 0!"

The MustardBot and Squiddle populations were now equal in numbers. The MustardBots were more spread out, while the Squiddles were concentrated into a denser area.

"It is obvious that this is going to be a two-way match. The Flipperbots too are on the brink of extinction."

The Mustards gradually wriggled their way towards the Flipperbot colony. The Flippers' fate was already sealed.

With two species out of the picture, the two principal movers in this match finally clashed...

"This is incredible-- no, this is momentous! This actually looks like it's gonna be a fair fight!"

"Now this is a battle. Far more interesting than last match's curbstomp."

The food disk practically disappeared into thin air. Only at opposite poles did significant deposits of nutrition remain.

At the southern pole, a heated grab for sustenance began...

"...but it looks like the Squiddles managed to obtain the majority of the food down there! The question is: Will it last them the match?!"

Up north, both species obtained roughly equal amounts of food.

In the middle, naught but a squirming mass of Squiddles and MustardBots remains. With the food disk exhausted, both species were starved for sustenance...

"From this point on, it is a matter of efficiency and energy conservation..."

"You did mention before that the Squiddles looked like an awfully efficient species."

"Yes. Indeed, the outcome of this match has already been decided."

With no food in sight, the swimbots spread out in all directions, eventually covering the entire map.

"The population is beginning to decline. It is a severe famine."

"The more efficient swimbot will reign in the end! Hooray for sustainability!"

A short time later, as the swimbot population declines rapidly...

"Bull. Shit."

"Yes, it is as you see. A patch of food has appeared in the southwest corner, and it is entirely in the control of the Squiddles."

"That's not fair! THAT'S JUST DUMB LUCK!"

"Well, as they say... All is fair in love and war."

"Which one of those two might this be?"

"Who can really say? I see a lot of enthusiastic reproduction here... possibly love."

Stranded in the void, the last of the MustardBots freeze up and die. The ones that straggle towards the food patch manage to impregnate several Squiddles, but die of old age before they can produce too many abortions.

YOU'VE GOTTA BE SQUIDDIN' ME!
Squiddle wins!

A new iteration of Squiddle has emerged! It's a different color and it moves like an effing rocket. It may be able to stand up to the might of Cancerbot now!

As always, more players are welcome. I'll even welcome darkhorse submissions in later rounds.
Last edited by STARSTRUCK on Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

I had High Hopes for the spastic genome!
Oh, well. At least I got a couple of breedings. This time.

And I'm still having trouble putting together a second submision.
It seems my swimbots (In my pool) have bred for the spastic genome.
Or, rather, I can't make the save function work. All my swimbots are almost the same, now. Cloning them shows none of the spastic genome. But saving and loading them... well, lets just say It's Never The Same Twice.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

i say bring on the cancerbot - rocket squiddy versus match =D also, i need to get round to making a useful swimbot, or atleast one that can turn =P
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

Still having saving problems. Had to type the Genome values in by hand, since it was just saving a blank file, which is why it was loading so randomly. When I loaded them to test if it worked, it was like a hybrid between the legbot, and v2.0. So, I'm submitting v 1.5 so I can continue in competition.
:( :|
Maybe I'll figure out later why didn't work.

And, looks like I need to send in a replacement company representative. I'll send one more expendable this time. :roll:
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

this looks promising...
promising.PNG
ed: fffffffffffffffffffffffffff it's gone and modified the save file ='C
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Can I get the new and beautiful Squiddle to hold onto myself? Rocket mode intrigues me.

Diggle thee have been avenged.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003