Reclamation - A surreal/fantasy future - Sign ups and OOC!

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Forgive me for not posting sooner, I've not really been in the mood for stuffs, moving on; I'm pm'ing Homer about this, bouncing an idea or two around, more about what's inside the suit driving it rather than the tech. One thing I won't allow is the Ipwn and the humane race-aspect, full-stop.

Droid! Excellent character, namely because of the amount of effort, it's well balanced and thought-out, definably accepted. I was initially wary of the Cataclysum burst amulet, but it's pretty feasable given the magicka and radiation probably building up in her or attracted if the amulet was destroyed, like a tiny-version of the 'incident'.

In short - I look forward to your intro post.

Edit: I was ninja'ed, and with lots of logic to boot, shows how much I know about all this. Technology wise, what they said. I'm pretty sure that, at the time, any computer intelligent enough to be control a vessal like a brain could was non-existant, even today to some extent. Any technology that survived the long years of rust and use and/or damage would not work without something to control and maintain it, if you are really sticking to this suit idea, then a veriation from steam-punk is to have a organic form inside moving the suit around, mutated to meld with the metal or some-such. Just tossing a thought out.
Last edited by Dragontear on Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Why not just say he (the mech guy) runs on pure steam and make it more steampunkish.
That might float better.

I reduced the pure magic of the curse at any rate, it probably is described better if it's thought of as a parasite, dubbed a curse. That's probably more logical too.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Sponge wrote:lolwut? Please tell me how you are using a radioactive rock to boil water. And then elaborate on how you are charging capacitors with steam.

Nuclear power plants operate by taking something like uranium and bombarding it with subatomic particles (generally neutrons). This causes the nuclei of the uranium atoms to split, producing more neutrons which break more nuclei which produce more neutrons-- and so on, and so forth. This produces lots of energy. It is this energy, not the energy from radioactive decay (which is quite minimal in comparison) that is used to heat water. The water boils and the steam is channeled through pipes to a turbine which spins coils wire (conductors) in a magnetic field. This produces electricity in a process known as electromagnetic induction.

So no, using rocks to boil water into steam which in turn charges capacitors used to fire a coilgun is not "primitive tech." It's nonsense. Try solar panels.
The neutrons used to bombard the unstable nuclei are generated by the decay of those nuclei.

I agree that coilguns are not primitive, basically if they didn't have it in 1950 they don't have it in this game. Coilguns and exo-suits wern't even sci-fi ideas back then. They thought of space as the ether, and thought that computers would never get as insanely awesome as they have. It's only modern day where we can create batteries with enough power to move an exo-suit, and back then nuclear reactors had to by necessity take up the volume of a small room. So you can't get away with that.
Even modern day solar power won't power an exo-suit at all.

Remember we are in 1950's tech, if it weren't built and being used then it can't be used now. Also military tech (The super advanced shit) is at most the stuff they knew about in the 60's. And that would be almost impossible to find in South Africa. Where the USA is most definitely not.

Remember Radar was a new tech that had only been in service for 10 to 20 years before the accident. And TV's are still black and white and we don't have VCR's either!
Sponge
Captain
Captain

Post by Sponge »

Silverware wrote: The neutrons used to bombard the unstable nuclei are generated by the decay of those nuclei.
Not quite. Something has to start the chain reaction. This is typically done by exciting the fuel with x rays or particles like neutrons or protons. Refined uranium is capable of spontaneous fission, but it's not consistent and could not reliably be used to generate power. Once the reaction starts, though, you're correct. Neutrons released by the reaction continue it.
I agree that coilguns are not primitive, basically if they didn't have it in 1950 they don't have it in this game. Coilguns and exo-suits wern't even sci-fi ideas back then.
Eh... http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/rocket3x.html#kinetic
This page has a scan of a magazine from 1932 which features prominently on the cover an illustration of a coil gun with a caption reading "ELECTRIC CANNON USES NO GUN POWDER." SciFi was quite developed even way back then. Hell, Star Trek was in the '60s.

Do note that I'm not arguing in favor of exo-suits. It's bullshit to call it "primitive tech" and the OP clearly doesn't want them. I really don't think it's very difficult to work within the clearly defined constraints.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

fuck my coilgun idea... 15mm gun and big hammer ftw.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Big Hammer definitely just remember how near to impossible it would be to find a working 15 mm and how your character has no knowledge of how to repair one, so his cannon wouldn't work.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

I want a gun though >.> And besides maybe it was attatched to suit when he found it. It was a underwater trooper.. SAY there is a mechanic dude so i make mine slightly gun-smithy. And the trooper was equipped with gun in the first place.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Basically. Did we have Exo-Suits in the 50's? Do we have them easily available now?

The answer to both is no.
So if we can't even get the going well in modern day how could they have been working in the 50's and still be working 150 years later.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

We actually do have, and did have, exo suits for deep sea diving (like the picture Homer put up), but have fun making them move on land. They're slow enough when they don't have to support (all of) their own weight.

Of course, we have the handy thing known as MAGIC!
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

hai silverware http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ress_1.jpg what be this? Now my character is a Extremely strong guy from the incident and he uses something like this with armor plates and a sledge hammer. ME THINKS POSSIBLE. Now kill your ignorance and learn plausibility. and your thinking those like million dollar suits they use on oil rigs. those are like articulated subs. what I propose is a scuba suit with a big daddy look with a hammer and gun :D
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Oh well then remember to state that, you hadn't stated that you changed your idea from the robot/exo-suit to just a person in a diving suit.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

It says on my character sheet dude in diving suit with metal plates welded on >.>
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Ahk well i haven't re-read it since it was first posted up then. meh.
Auriak
Captain
Captain

Post by Auriak »

Are you still accepting new characters? If so I'd like to try this out:

Name: Kyer Sendring
Race: Human-form Mutant
Role/rank: Wanderer/Do-gooder

Physical appearance: A handsome young man, lean and athletic, with dark hair and bright blue eyes.

Clothes/armour: Patched, frayed, stained, and ruffled survivor's apparel. Black/grey muddy boots, colourless shirt, coarse black pants, long grey coat.

Weapons: Not strictly a weapon, but this seems to be the best spot for it: A small metal barrel (about the size of a fire extinguisher) with a thick hose protruding from one end. This container is filled with a biological sludge of unknown composition.

Abilities: Limited "biokinetic" power- the ability to physically deconstruct and rearrange the materials of one's body into different forms- without falling apart, dying, etc. Results in a brute-force type of shapeshifting which some find unsettling. Any extra mass required has to come from somewhere; additonal biological material must be procured and absorbed. Additionally, there is no way to store this mass in a humanoid form without the difficulties of added weight and increased density. (additional energy is also required for the transformation). The ability to heal at an amazing rate is possible with this power, though it involves effort and concentration. Effect is limited to self and those coming in physical contact with the biokinetic. Effect also extends to clothing worn by the biokinetic, though it retains its mass.

Personality: Attentive and compassionate towards the plight of strangers. Downright deadly when in a fight, and very inventive when it comes to his use of biokinetic abilities. Rarely transforms in the absence of threats, and does not take biomass from living sentients.

Short Bio/history: Spent most of his life out in the wild lands and ruined cities, lending a helping hand to survivors in need. Was captured and detained for experimentation by an unknown individual (very little is known about this individual and his experiments, this may change as my knowledge of this universe grows), and escaped several months later. History may expand at a later time.
"Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them"
Auriak Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1654
Mystar Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Can anyone say Alex Mercer? lol
It seems like we are getting more combat orientated characters, could we get some non-coms as well?