Reclamation - A surreal/fantasy future - Sign ups and OOC!

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

50's tech remember.
All you need to say is that its a rifle round or something along those lines.
Doesn't have to be overly accurate, just fit in well with the time and the availability.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Silverware wrote:10mm is better, and if you know fallout, its the basic pistol round size. =P
Fallout 3, sure, but that did away with anything VAGUELY regarding technical accuracy for firearms.

That said, 10mm Auto pistol rounds do exist, though not during the 1950s.
thanto_ wrote:anti-material
Anti-materiel, but yes. Anti-materiel rifles were not usually used to kill people due the the increased rifle and ammo weight, high recoil, and large muzzle flash/blast. Their primary use were soft armour targets (light vehicle engine blocks and grounded aircraft internals, like jet engines), vulnerable electronics (command and control gear, radio and radar antennae, communication equipment) and explosives, which they can detonate remotely.

12.7mm machineguns like the M2 Browning, on the other hand, were used to great effect against infantry* and low-flying aircraft, and, as thanto_ says, 12.7mm was made in WW1/2 as an anti-tank round, before the armour "arms race" advancements rendered it ineffectual.

However, the M2 Browning weighs 38kg, so it's not something you can tote around like a toy. The M1919 Browning, a .30cal machinegun, weighed only 14kg.

If you want perfectly reasonable and plentiful when it comes to rifle cartridges, just go with one of these;
  • .303 British used in, well, British firearms, like the Lee-Enfield rifles.
  • 7.92x57mm Mauser, used in the Gewehr 98, amongst others.
  • 7.62mmx54mmR, a rifle cartridge used for various Russian firearms.
  • .30-06 Springfield, US Springfield/Enfield/Garand/Browning Automatic rifle round.
Long story short, if you want to kill people at short to medium range (and I expect most firefights in this to be short ranged) and body-armour isn't going to be an issue with 1950s tech (trust me on this one, I've done the research), then long rifle rounds will do the trick just fine, and are a hell of a lot more plentiful than any pretty pretty snowflake calibers. Hell, short rifle rounds (assault rifle rounds, that is) will do the trick just fine too.
Homer wrote:Its most powerful ability is a magnetic hinderer (strong e.m burst) that makes all firearms and warheads/explosives inoperative. But this leaves the B.A.M extremely vulnerable.
Sorry, but firearms just do not work that way. The firing mechanism of a 1950s rifle is purely mechanical in nature. An electromagnetic pulse cannot interfere with it, plain and simple. More modern electric-ignition rifles†, sure, but not a standard hammer-fired rifle.

†The rarity of them at current times being a major screw up in your plan, nevermind that they didn't even exist in the 1950s to my knowledge.
Homer
Commander
Commander

Post by Homer »

Odd... I thought I though i removed it... Anyhow i was thinking of metal storm.
My sig is under attack by commie mods!
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Heh I like the "to my knowledge bit" someone realises the military hold alot of secrets. =P
But yeah, FO was never based in accurate real-world weaponry. As it was based upon 1950's scifi.

Remember you don't need to have a gun. Not everyone in the wastes would have one, and a character armoured as yours is would lack the agility to be able to accuratly fire it. Also enemy rounds would just dent or scratch your armour plating. =P
By the time you get close enough to use your hammer they would probibly be out of rounds or running away though...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Which would be an example of electrically-fired weapons... except the Metal Storm company wasn't founded until 1994... so... like I said, major screw up in your plan.

Ed:
Silverware wrote:Heh I like the "to my knowledge bit" someone realises the military hold alot of secrets.
No, that was just to cover my ass in the utterly narrow coincidence of an electrically fired weapon existing in the 1950s.
thanto_
Commander
Commander

Post by thanto_ »

Eletrically ignited propellant is a new invention. The only other potential uses for electricity are for electromagnetically driven mass drivers (coilgun or railgun) or directly, via a taser-type weapon, or a laser-induced plasma channel. EM-driven mass drivers would have been highly impractical back then due to the lack of inexpensive supercapacitors and high-cap batteries. Tasers weren't invented yet, and laser-induced plasma channel technology has really only started in earnest this decade - it's quite new.

The only other thing I can think of would be an electrically powered gatling gun. That would have been somewhat reasonable, since Gatling patented that very thing in 1893. However, no one actually used them until the 60s when the US went to war in Korea/Vietnam. So, there wouldn't have been any around in the 50s.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Right at the end of the 50s indeed. M61 Vulcan, M134 Minigun.

But, I find it unlikely that any of those would have survived in anything vaguely resembling a usable state (depending on how long it's been), and they were only really used on fighter jets and the odd helicopter. Footsoldiers cannot practically carry and fire a 7.62mm M134 Minigun due to the weight of the weapon, it's ammo and the battery pack, and the sheer recoil when firing. Movies used blanks (even then the recoil was intense), and the guns were powered by hidden cables.

In any case, the electrical power was only needed to drive the barrel assembly - it wasn't responsible for actually firing the shots, though without the electric motor the gun wouldn't work properly.
Auriak
Captain
Captain

Post by Auriak »

Wait, is it too late for me to switch to my already-approved more humanoid other character? I'm starting to have some apprehensions towards playing an animalistic (if intelligent) starfish thing :/. I'd rather join the fray with a humanoid character but if that can't be done I'm okay with keeping what I have now.
"Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them"
Auriak Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1654
Mystar Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Egh, apologies for not post in the role-play, I've not actually been in the mood for this as of late, I'll post in the story soonish, within a few days.

For all the tech stuff, what Arc said.

Up to you Auriak, nobody's interacted with your character yet so either keep him, make a second character or transfer, totally up to you.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Heh, i can't see any reason why we couldn't play as two characters, this isn't like a MMO where it would be unbalancing.
Might even make up a pirate character of my own to chase us around.
=P
If Dragontear okays the idea tho.
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

Go ahead!

Arggh.
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4532]Reclamation - A twisted future role-play game.[/url]
Dragontear
Commander
Commander

Post by Dragontear »

It's been a while... anybody still interested in this? Lemme know, I'd like to also figure out where people want this story to go.

Auriak, would you mind a RANDOM ENCOUNTER (TM) to keep things going?