The Experiment [OOC thread I guess]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Siber
Captain
Captain

The Experiment [OOC thread I guess]

Post by Siber »

Seems there's some interest in RP type things here, so I'm going to try something a bit different. I've not seen anything particularly like this before so I have no idea how it'll turn out, but with luck it'll be fun for all. So here's the thing.

I give you no setting. Yet. The same with story. Those will be revealed as we progress, and to no small extent will be shaped by you. I need something from you first. I need a character. Any character, really. You could enter God, or you could enter Bob, the 7/11 clerk. You could come from modern earth, a sci-fi utopia, an epic fantasy world, whatever you like. I place no hard limits on your abilities and knowledge within the context of your chosen origin.

What I do ask of you is a passage from the life or adventures of your character. I need only a paragraph, but more is better. Write it up, post it up here. The better written it is, the better chance that I will select you as one of the members, but I don't rule out the chance of picking a poorer writer I think has potential. I'm starting the deadline for this entry at about a week, but could move. Shoot for a week for now.

Some general rules: Diversity is good. Just because someone else has an awesome godlike being doesn't mean you need to do the same. If we get a wave of angsty loner Sephiroth clones, I'll probably start rejecting them, for example, but one or two are bearable as long as there are other personalities and archtypes for them to play off of.

Try to choose a character that has at least some semblance of a hope of working with others somehow. the more fleshed out the setting and background of the character the better. In fact if you have supplementary information beyond what you want to put in your passage, I encourage you to PM me with it.

I think that's it. If I remember anything else I will let you know.
Hey look, I remembered some more stuff.

Your character will be posted in the IC thread, with your entry passage. In fact, that is your character. I don't want any detailing of height, weight, hair, eyes, whatever. You can describe things within your prose, including your focal character, as much as you like, but I don't want any condensed bio chunk anywhere. Your character's actions and personality exhibited in the entry is much more important to me.

Secondly, if you have any sort of developed backstory or setting behind the character, I prefer them to submit to a level of logical rigor. I don't ask that they be perfectly airtight, nor do I ask that you follow any existing physics religiously, but I do ask that if an internal contradiction becomes apparent or odious, that you are willing to flex to mend it. Also of note is that it is fully possible I will end up weaving backstories and settings together down the road, if it is at all feasible, and if this happens some things will have to be twisted together. I ask that you be own to this eventual possibility before submitting your work.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

This is an awesome idea and we need more of this. Everyone cool had better sign up or I will be most upset. I may even cry.

Do you want to see me cry?

I'll fucking do it, guys, I swear.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Right, like I could come up with anything nearly as well done as yours.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

I'm working on something... we will see...
Damn you for raising the bar for us all...
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Anna wrote:Do you want to see me cry?
Hell yeah. That would be so awesome.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Wow, DT. Talk about plot twists. :lol:

Anyway, I'll write something up, I guess.

Maybe.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Siber
Captain
Captain

Post by Siber »

As a note, I'd like anyone who plans on entering but hasn't yet let me know, so I can do planning type stuff with maximal amounts of information.
seriously Anna. seriously oh my gawd seriously.

Author of DAF and Sillyness
Co-founder Homeworld:@
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

I'm planning on entering, and I've told you my general idea in IRC.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Not sure if you remember, but I did talk about it a bit in IRC. Will be in tomorrow as well.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Anna

Post by Anna »

C'mon gais, we need more character submissions! I have it on good authority that we must have moar players.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Seraph, do you want me to submit a half-assed introduction or should I put up something that actually took some time? ^^

That said... Siber, how long 'till you close entries? Give me 'till the end of the week and I'll have something for you.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Anna

Post by Anna »

Submissions close thursday. As in tomorrow.

And I wrote both my character submissions in the span of like, ten minutes. It's not that hard.

Either that, or I'm just that damn good.

:lol:
Quality Control Enforcer
lightstriker
Commodore
Commodore

Post by lightstriker »

Anna wrote: -snip-

I'm just that damn good.

that more or less sums it up :D over 5 times that and yours still rotfl-pwns... *cry*
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

I think I'm going to have to agree with you, Seraph.

Thinking of something takes time.

Actually writing it does not.

And yes, you are just that damn good. XD
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Anna

Post by Anna »

T-002 wrote:I think I'm going to have to agree with you, Seraph.

Thinking of something takes time.

Actually writing it does not.

And yes, you are just that damn good. XD
Is dat some Rock Howard I see in your character submission there? I call your Rock Howard and raise you one Terry Bogard!

ARE YOU OOOOKAY!?

BUSTAAH WOLF!
Quality Control Enforcer