The Sigma Project [IC]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Felicie watched with a mix of bizarre curiosity and horror. She was watching a hurricane; but not an Earth hurricane. A hurricane on a completely different planet. A planet, she now realized, with ideal hurricane conditions. High humidity, high average temperatures, large amounts of water. She stared at the spinning, swirling mass of clouds. It was amazing how fast it grew and moved on the planet - less than a single night, and it was already bigger than any Earth hurricane she had seen, with a high chance of it growing stronger. It approached the landing site with ever-increasing speed and ferocity...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a rather strange thing to see a stream flowing backwards. But it was - only now it wasn't just a stream. It was a raging torrent of water, growing closer to the crew with every passing moment. The rain began beating against the ground with such force that tiny bits of sediment could be seen flying up in the air with every drop that hit the ground.

Suddenly, a pebble whizzed past Adi's head and smashed into a nearby boulder. Then another. Then one hit his leg, bruising it. The wind grew even stronger. One smashed into Boris' arm, almost making him lose grip of his weapon. Suddenly the sound of a strained scream. Barely visible in the pouring rain, Killian Stephonson was choking on the very air of the atmosphere. His visor had been pierced by a pebble. Joseph, in a desperate attempt to save him, dashed towards Killian - only to be hit square in the back of the neck by a small pebble, knocking him unconscious.

With this, the perpetrator became visible on the horizon. Towering what seemed to be miles into the air was a huge waterspout. Except - it wasn't over a large body of water. It literally held the water in suspension above the ground, moving ever-so slowly up the river valley. Behind it, more waterspouts could be seen. It became obvious now what was hitting them - a hurricane, in full force. The awe would have lasted longer if it were not for the sudden sound of breaking glass; but this time no scream was issued.

Charles Ripcad's visor, like Killian's, was pierced. But this time the pebble hit with truer aim; right in between the eyes.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Ken was stunned for a few moments, then turned. A massive column of water was raging over a nearby valley, whipping water and dust and rocks into a freakishly brown vortex. As rocks skittered across the rocks to the right and left of him, with little red warning boxes around them from his lenses, Ken did to the only thing possible - got behind the boulder, wrapped his tent fabric around his body, put his backpack over his head, and hunkered down for dear life.

"Get off the valley floor! The twister will . . . chan . . . va . . ey . . "

Wind drowned out his message.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

[OOC:]Why'd ya kill me off so soon?
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi looked Boris squarely in the eye, ignoring the magnum. He was quite glad that he had worked with the Mossad before Sigma had begun. Krav Maga was going to be quite useful.

After a few tense seconds, he burst into a giant grin, and lunged forward, lifting and twisting away the magnum, and kicking Boris squarely in the chest. He twisted the gun away, and threw it in the rising water.

"I don't think so, kamerad."

He pulled out his MP33 and leveled it at Boris's head.

"Now, I think you'll want to reconsider any of those nasty ideas about killing me you had."

He stepped over, and placed his foot on Boris's chest. He deftly snatched away the 'lolplasmas' he had, and stepped back.

"Now are we going to act like mature humans? I don't think we have time for another fight."

With that, Adi walked over to the nearest cliff wall, careful to shield his mask. He made sure patching tape was immediately available, and then donned his climbing gear and began to climb.
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Rain. Water falling from the sky. That's what it was, and there was a lot of it. Alex didn't like it in the least. He hadn't minded when Adi had to kill the second fella, but this? This was going to interfere with his productivity.

As soon as there was any indication that the rain might become a problem, Alex made sure that all of his equipment was packed away and ready for travel just in case. Then he waited.

When it was obvious that there would be flooding, he stood up, and started to move, bringing the oh-so-important instruments and probes with him. After all, this was supposed to be a scientific mission. When he had gotten to high enough ground that he could relax and wait for the storm to clear, he arranged his cases and locked their wheels.

Alex then got out one of his extra-large thermal blankets which, while not designed for it, was conveniently waterproof. He then made sure he remembered where everyone used to be, and settled in to wait.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

The rain was getting heavier. With every minute of rain, Ivan panicked more and more. He climbed higher and higher, not paying attention to those he left behind, or where he was actually heading. He just wanted to get away from it all.

... his body, however, had other plans. Soon enough, he started feeling tired. Very tired. Looking around, he found a small, covered indent in the valleyside. He crawled towards it, thanking every god he knew for dry land. After lying there for some time, looking at the rain, he started to worry. After all, he had no idea where the others were, no way to know if they were even alive. He opened a link, hoping to hear something from someone.

"Uh... hello? Does, ah... does anyone read me? Is anyone still alive out there? You need to get out of there! Climb the walls ASAP! Get your asses high and dry, now!"

In the end, he didn't know if anyone could hear him. He might very well be the last one alive.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

After a while Alex was tired of curling in a ball under the rain, so he decided to do something. Since it looked like he might be there a while, he decided to build a rudimentary shelter.

First he wanted to find a place he could run a drainage ditch. With the blanket still around him, he stood up, got out his flashlight, and almost walked off a cliff. Somehow he had found a roundabout way up the wall of rock when he was evacuating the campsite.

After moving his stuff farther away from the edge and a little higher up the slope, Alex started an angled hole with a ditch coming out of the low end running down to the cliff to prevent flooding. After this he flattened out a floor and covered it with the largest of his blankets, which was more of an insulating tarp than anything else. He then arranged his Pelican cases so they could act as supports for blanket walls, and laid two blankets on top and over the sides.

After tucking in the edges so it was reasonably waterproof and so his walls wouldn't get blown away, Alex crawled into his makeshift hut, got out his laptop, and proceeded to conquer the galaxy.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The storm was over just as quickly as it had started. Brilliant light, for just a few minutes, poked through the clouds. It illuminated the surface, bringing out the true vividness of every rock, and every crevice. However, the destruction was clear. It was obvious that this planet... was not fit for human habitation.

Felicie, taking advantage of the clearness above the crew, radioed to them.

"I hope you've all slept well... It is quite obvious with that last storm that the weather on this planet is somewhat... unconducive to human life in general. Strangely enough though, because no one bothered to disturb Charles Ripcad's corpse, the water carried his body to a relatively flat area that the GPS tracked in which I can land this ship. I'm sending you the coordinates now. Remember to carry back any injured people."

The clouds began to close up quickly, so Felicie made one final transmission.

"When you get back, please don't try and kill each other. It was a mistake to send you all out without knowing each other very well. Converse amongst yourselves."

And with that, the hole in the clouds once again closed communication channels between the ship and the crew. Her orbital trajectory was already set, and she could see the planet once again moving in the viewport. She sighed, and began sorting data about the next planet which they would visit...
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

Killian's corpse lay undisturbed on the open plains, blood still somewhat oozing from the hole put in his face by the pebble.
His life had been great, but his existence short. Who knew this would happen?
His body, growing stiff already, lay there.

He was finally at peace.
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi was wet, and cold. Killian's body lay off in the distance. Adi walked calmly over to it. He hadn't noticed Joseph unconscious next to it. He grinned, and reached into his med bag for a something to revive him. Joseph awoke slowly to see Adi's gleaming eyes.

"To be frank, Joseph, I don't really like how you've handled yourself down here. I'm sure you're a good person and all, but you're a liability. Liabilities slow me, and the others down. I don't have anything against you, you're just in the way. Do you see how I feel?"

Adi pulled his KM2150 from its sheath.

"Now cheer up--it's all down hill from here."

He caressed Joseph's neck with the knife, leaving a gushing red line. Adi wiped the blade on Joseph's suit.

"I hope you can understand."

Adi picked up the body, and threw it on top of Killian's. He slashed the air hoses, and lit them both.

He spoke over the radio:
"Adi here, I've got a fire started, it's a nice place to dry off while we wait for evac. Killian and Joseph didn't make it."

It was nice to be warm.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Boris had been climbing to save his sorry ass. He was fuming intensely at that confrontation with Adi. "That bastard," he enunciated with the slightest emphasis on profanity, "that two-timing bastard, I'll really get a hold on him once I get at him. That is, if I manage to climb this god-damn cliff." He continued to scale it, every step he took being an extra drain on his body's resources, and any hope humanity would have at "finding a new home". If he could have spat in his suit, he would have.

Finally he reached the top, gasping for breath and panting like someone gone insane. "This reminds me," as he reached into his rucksack, "I always need to carry backups. Always." He fished out a lolplasma, and holstered it. The nanomolecular knife he also retrieved and attached the sheath on his waistline. Glancing around and scoping in with his retinal display, he noticed a slight bump on the horizon. Adi. Heck. And his absolute randomness. He didn't care if he had properly identified the human, but it was just his extreme gut feeling playing about with him again. And there was that...unsettling...feeling which he always had before going into someplace relatively dangerous.

"Right, now that I've gotten Felicie's transmission, time to get to the LZ." Boris resolved himself and began trekking the long journey back to the ship. And hoped, sincerely, that he didn't encounter Adi again. "Right, I must remind myself not to shoot his ass once he's within the range of this weapon. And I'd better get a new Magnum, the unused magazines better not rot inside there."

He yawned and flipped the safety on the lolplasma off with a slight flick of a finger. And remembered that he still had a boxful of them back in the locker.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

*Ken hangs out at the dead body bonfire.

"Damn, when are we going to get picked up?"

. . .

"Um . . . anybody got marshmallows?"
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The ship finally arrived right before nightfall on the planet. It had started raining again so everyone was in a hell of a rush to get out. The charred remains of the dead were not recovered. It was deemed unnecessary. As the bay doors closed and the ship began lifting off, Felicie once again opened the two-way comm.

"That was a magnificent failure. We lost a total of 6 members on that trip. I really do hope that our death rates go down. I have decided that sending 12 at a time is really unnecessary. As a result, only 7 members will be sent down to the next planet."

She typed a few access codes to allow the crew back into the command center, and began speaking to them face-to-face. But there was another woman by her side. Felicie motioned towards her.

"I'd like you to meet your new crew member. Mira Syntas. I woke her up during the descent, and have already briefed her on everything. It was surprising, really, that she was the only other biologist on the ship other than Ken here. I'm pretty sure the people who chose you were pretty sure there was no life on extraterrestrial planets. Yet this next one does. We have detected trace amounts of complex organic-looking molecules in its atmosphere. But I'll tell you more about that planet later. You, and I myself, will be frozen in due time as we begin transit. But until then, feel free to converse, or really do whatever you wish."

She pointed towards a door opposite the one they had come in through, motioning for the crew to go in.

"That is the lounge. It was built specifically for recreation in mind, to give the crew a break in between planets. I hope you will find the accommodations fitting."

DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi doffed his environmental suit, and stowed his MP33 in his locker, which he kept securely locked. He took a brief shower and generally refreshed himself before heading into the lounge. He got a drink from a machine on the wall, and settled down.

"That was one hell of an 'exploration,' eh?"
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Boris clamoured onto the ship after an exhausting long march from his original vantage point. He lethargically took off his environmental suit and chucked the entire rucksack into the locker. Heading to the showers, he doused himself in freezing cold water by mistake. "GNARBRRPFFFUCKFUCKFUCK" he swore as the torrent of cascading liquid substance hit him smack where it hurt the most: his frayed nerve endings. Turning off the tap, he decided that he had enough of a bath already and quickly got changed.

Heading over to the lockers, he filched another Magnum from equipment storage, took out the unused magazines from the rucksack and loaded them in, before menacingly cocking the handgun. Testing the electronic scopes uplink to his retinal display, he found the gun to be in top working condition. Silently noting to himself not to lose this gun again, Boris gnashed his teeth together and reorganised his bag. All the useless stuff he threw out, and he retrieved yet another plasma SMG (he had overheard a conversation before he left about the ridiculously stupid name "lolplasma" and decided to refrain from it), other miscellaneous stuff and yet more magazines of handgun ammo. Just in case.

Boris headed over to the lounge with a holstered Magnum (of course, with the safety on, he couldn't risk an atmospheric breach even when Adi was around, not ignoring the fact that he would have dreadfully liked to put a couple of rounds through that maniac's head) and his combat knife. Sitting down opposite Adi with a drink in hand, he attempted to strike up a conversation.

"Yeah, quite a fair hell of an exploration, I believe."

His finger twitched towards the Magnum.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]