The Sigma Project [IC]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The ship suddenly stopped with a small thump.

"Sorry about that, misjudged our landing speed a wee bit. We're okay though. Please report to the airlock, and you shall be sent out on your way."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The surface of the planet was covered in a greenish-purple spongy material. Or what seemed to be a spongy material. It did not yield to the foot, but it felt... squishy. The air was filled with a bluish haze. It seemed to move with the wind, yet at the same time move of its own free will. Small flying creatures... not flying. Small creatures seemed to use this haze to dart around in midair, with seemingly no support underneath them, and silently. No large fauna or flora seemed to be anywhere in sight; just seas of greenish-purple spongy material, a permanent blue haze, and small creatures which darted through the haze...
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

[OOC: Assume that this post comes after everybody else has left the ship.]

Mira had been conversing with Felicie throughout the duration of the landing. She couldn't believe the facts that were being laid out in front of her eyes: if she was piecing it together correctly, Adi had killed four men down there. Sure, three were out of mercy. But the other? He had- he had committed murder. A flame sprung to Mira's eyes as she sat up, already storming back to the cabin to knock some shit into Adi. As she got up, however, she bumped Felicie's chair, causing her to jerk the ship and bump the ground. Mira, too preoccupied with Adi for the moment and still emotionally raw from the whole end-of-civilization business, was caught off guard and banged into the bulkhead.

Damnit, that's the second time that I've let my concentration slip. I can't let this happen any more; I'm supposed to be in control of my emotions. Shit Mira, think. You- we- can't afford this right now. "Felicie, I still need to get my stuff together. I'll comm you when everybody's off the ship."

She decided she would give Adi a chance - but she wasn't going to let him out of her sights. Donning her environment suit, she entered the ready room just as the last person was just leaving the ship. Opening her locker, she made a mental list of everything she needed. Multi-tool, combat knife, knife, datapad. She placed the combat knife in her leg sheath and put the rest in a rucksack. On second thought... Mira took out the multi-purpose knife and the multi-tool and sheathed them both. Item after item went into the rucksack: 7 days of rations, high-powered electrobinoculars, simple rebreather, climbing equipment, flashlight, multipurpose rope, empty vials and slides for environmental samples, fire equipment, expandable tent and sleeping bag. Anything she could think of she packed into her rucksack - she wasn't going to go unprepared because of a couple extra pounds. She didn't even hesitate in the slightest when it came to the heavy-duty first aid kit. I'm not letting Adi get anywhere near me if I can help it. Not until I can trust him.

Before leaving she ship, she visited the weapons closet. It took her a couple seconds before she located her favourite weapon. With a sigh, she grabbed the Z4-13.09x assault rifle and 3 packs of extra ammunition, silently wishing she wouldn't have to use them. Then, she grabbed the most compact pistol she could find and tucked it away. For emergencies. Unwittingly, her mind flicked to Adi. Ready to go, she headed towards the exit hatch, opening a secure link to Felicie. Everybody's out, you're good for takeoff. And," she said with a chuckle, "be careful." She meant it, though. Nobody is ever safe in a foreign environment. She exited the hatch and sealed it from the outside.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi walked out of the space ship, pleasantly.

It was a good trip so far, nobody had been injured beyond his capabilities. In fact, so far there were no injuries at all. This might end well after all.

He glanced over at the creatures flitting away, and attempted to identify them with his HUD. No success.

He glanced around; no one was watching. He pulled out his MP33 and took careful aim--it was likely that he'd only have one shot. Hesitantly, he pulled the trigger.

One of the small creatures dropped. Adi walked over and stabbed it with his medical diagnostic needle. Words raced across his HUD, but it didn't tell him much, other than bullets killed them, and they had some poison in their bloodstream.

Adi was no biologist, but he knew that if there was a defense, then there was probably something that it was designed to protect against. Something bigger. A predator of some sort. He extended the stock on the MP33, and made sure to be very careful.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Boris hummed to himself and strode out of the airlock. He gingerly took out the new Magnum he obtained, loaded in a magazine of handgun ammo, and cocked it in a melancholic manner. Taking good aim, he fired at one of the odd alien creatures around 2 metres away from him..

The thing burst open in a spray of greenish-purple crap and he grimaced as he collected a sample of slime. "Yuck, this ain't a second Earth." He looked at Adi and said, "You think there's some sort of a predator on this planet because of the poison? Well that can't be good, can it? I can only hope if their prey are this small then they can't be that big themselves. And we have shiny firearms anyway. They just can't underestimate the power of shiny things."

He scoped in with the Magnum and peered at the horizon. Boris could have sworn he spied a glimpse of movement a couple hundred metres away from the LZ.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

Ivan walked out, slightly less energetic than the last landing. Of course, parachuting down was a lot better than just landing and exiting.

"I kinda miss the adrenaline rush." He walked around... and then walked back. Walking seemed to have an odd sensation to it. A bit bouncy, for lack of a better word. He kneeled and examined the ground. Digging his fingers in ("Dammit, I bring two guns, but no knife..."), he tears a little piece of... it... out.

"Hmm." He pinches it a couple of times.

"I shall call you Squishy, and you shall be mine." Smiling, he grabs his lighter, and holds it over the flame.

[OOC: Do I have liberty in this, or do I need to ask Norm what happens?]
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Alex walked out of the ship, dragging his Pelican cases full of equipment behind him. Actually, it had been easy to prepare for this mission, because other than restocking on food and repacking things he could just bring the same equipment as last time.

After he had walked as little as eight feet, he heard a gunshot, and promptly jumped two feet in the air, followed by a spectacular fall flat onto his stomach. Looking around, he saw that it was just some local fauna getting shot, not more crewmembers.

After climbing back to his feet, Alex dusted himself off sheepishly and walked over to Adi and Boris. "I admit that this is the easiest way to study much of their biology, but don't ya think it'd be good to take a couple live ones? Anyway, do you know where we're staying tonight? I need to set up shop and take readings."
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The night seemed to set on incredibly quickly. 16 hour days, that's something one needs to get used to.

Two ghostly silhouettes lined the dark sky. The faintly glowing star, and the dull-brownish moon...

The seeming instantaneous silence which had set over the planet was interrupted only by a transmission from Felicie, reminding the crew that they had to collect samples of everything they could find on the planet.

Silence.

It was then that a strange vocalization was heard. It seemed so far away, yet at the same time, so close.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

A little fragment of lichen-like plant matter dropped into one of Ken's tubes, and instantly froze when he closed the lid. He clicked the stasis tube back into his specimen belt, and walked on. His lens bioscanners were off, after walking out of the ship only to be greeted by about two million flying blue lights. Ken found his way over to a likely-looking plant and clipped one leaf off with his blade, noticing especially how it fizzled and smoked on contact with the metal. That was obviously a hint not to eat most the flora around here. A bio-stasis tube stopped its sizzling for good. His belt was full, with seventeen plant samples and three of the small flying things, so he returned to the campsite and placed all twenty tubes into the sample container.

"Well, folks, anybody here a good cook?"

A few blank looks greeted him. Yeah.

"I guess I'm making my own dinner, then."

Ken sliced off two half-inch thick cuts of his dense field ration bar and threw them in a metal pan over the fire with some juice concentrate and butter, and pulled it off when the juice had reduced down to a thin sauce and the slices were at point of browning. He poured the remaining reddish liquid on top and sat down on a bench to eat. Almost anything could be made to taste good over a fire.

He was about finished when a strange noise was picked up by his exterior mikes, something rather unsettling. Ken swallowed the last of his meal and flicked his knife out, scanning the dark edges of the campsite.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi heard a small noise in the distance.

Over the radio, he said, "Did anyone else hear that?"

He got a few affirmatives, and wolfed down a ration bar. He readied his MP33, made sure the reflex sight was properly calibrated, and waited.

It wouldn't be that long before whatever it was that was stalking them emerged. It had been around since they landed, he assumed. Now that it was getting darker, it would be a prime opportunity to strike. Adi regretted not bringing night-vision goggles.

He grinned, and looked around. He doubted half of the crew would survive this mission.
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

The sound floats up around the group again, this time closer, louder, more distinct, yet nothing visibly happens. It repeats several times, with an almost musical quality.
<center>eeeeeEEe eeeeeEEe eeeeeEEe
MMMmMmMM MMMmMmMM MMMmMmMM
fFfFfffF fFfFfffF fFfFfffF </center>
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Boris quickly switched his retinal display to infrared and stared around. Was that...a thing on the horizon? He scoped in and looked at the creature producing the sound, whatever it was. His jaws dropped.

It looked like some mad scientist's genetic experiment gone wrong. A cross-breed of a giraffe, a rhino and an ostrich. It had wings, but was clearly unable to fly for some reason. And it was busily munching on the greenish-purple undergrowth. Straightening its neck, it stretched up and continued its eerie call.

Boris was flabbergasted. "Guys! I have a visual on infrared! Some cross-breed of a giraffe, rhino and ostrich! I repeat, I have a visual of a land animal with two legs, a giraffe's neck and thick long horns on its head! Do not attempt to open fire. Do not attempt to open fire on it. It seems to be grazing, but I doubt that it eats humans in spacesuits. Approach it with high caution regardless. This animal is clearly motile and it should be capable of attacking us if we aggravate it."

He glanced at the animal in question and pinched his right arm to ensure that he wasn't somehow dreaming.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

The little piece of ground slowly burned up, leaving little trails of smoke. Its remains fell to the ground and were caught by the winds. "Well, nothing interesting there. Some kind of fluids inside it, or it would've caught fire faster."

Taking his time, he grabbed a ration and began feeding himself. As he looked around, keeping his eye on the environment and the crew, something terribly scary caught his ear.

Some kind of... chant, maybe? Possibly a call from an animal...
Just to be sure, he took one revolver and made sure it was loaded. Last thing he wanted was to get caught by surprise, or worse, get wounded.
Especially that last part was worrying.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The grazer suddenly looked up. It seemed to pause for a few moments, taking in the sound of the vocalization. It seemed struck with fear for just a few moments; but then it simply went back to grazing on the spongy material covering the ground.

DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Adi snerked.

"Nothing to be afraid of, it would seem."

He raised the MP33 and put a round clean through its head. (or the thing Adi deemed closest in purpose)

He then realized that was probably a very, very bad idea.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The shot rang out in the silence. It echoed through the plains, silencing the world.
eeeeEEe eeeeEEe eeeeEEe
WWWWWwW WWWWWwW WWWWWwW
fFfffFf fFfffFf fFfffFf
The disembodied song called out once again. There was a slight modulation of the tones, barely perceptible.

Suddenly, as if from the darkness itself, giant winged creatures appeared in the night sky. They hurled themselves towards Adi, who barely had enough time to respond with a dodge. Enormous chunks of the greenish-purple material spewed forth. They once again charged at Adi, this time with one making a gash in his arm, throwing Adi to the floor.

As the creatures prepared one last strike towards the stunned Adi, the song once again penetrated through the night air.

EEeEeEe EEeEeEe EEeEeEe
MMmmMmM MMmmMmM MMmmMmM
FFFFFFF FFFFFFF FFFFFFF
The creatures suddenly stopped, and slowly began flying towards the now dead body of the grazer. They began feasting upon its flesh...
Last edited by Normandy on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.