The Sigma Project [Closed]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

The Sigma Project [Closed]

Post by Normandy »

Greetings, I am NOAH [NetwOrked ArcHives. Yeah, they were kind of desperate for a name that represented a biblical figure, so they cheated a little bit on the acronym-making]. I am the computer databank. I am not an artificial intelligence. This message was pre-recorded by the scientists who built me.

Your memory may be somewhat fuzzy because of the short freezing time you experienced when going into cryogenic freeze, but we had no choice. If we had delayed any longer, the gamma ray burst would have annihilated you and the rest of our chances. We were on such short notice that we couldn't give the project any more creative of a name than Project 'S'.

We were able to predict the supernova on time, but not with enough time. It was only recently that it was discovered that a star will undergo certain visible changes coming up to a supernova, and that there was a star close enough to do major damage to Earth that was going to go supernova.

The Earth is now a lifeless hunk of rock with only a small wisp of an atmosphere left. The gamma rays would have blasted away particles in our atmosphere, and damaged living organisms anywhere and everywhere on the Earth. It is doubtful anything but the hardiest of the hardy survived - and even then, barely. We had to leave, and quickly. But we could not plot out our course. We had to make a random jump. Even now, the starmaps I hold are useless in this area of the universe, wherever we may be. I suppose eventually we will be able to find out where we are, but right now we can't devote that processing power. We have to be exploring these new planets, looking for a new home for humanity to once again live.

There are only a few of you. About 170 at last count. We could not bring any more; our warp drives could not move something of that mass. We were even risking it with these 170 people, but if you are hearing this message now, thankfully the drive has worked. However, we do not have enough capacity to produce food for all of you to be awake at once. We can only wake a few. As you are hearing this message now, you have been chosen as one of those few who will venture down to the selected planets and explore them. Bring back data of habitability. I can scan the planets for basic data, but only the work of humans on foot can judge whether or not a planet is really fit for living.

I cannot guarantee your success, or even your lives. As I have told you already, I am simply a databank with access to a few measurement instruments. This message was pre-recorded back on Earth. The fate of humanity now rests on your shoulders. Should you succeed, you shall be hailed as heroes, as saviors. Should you fail... it's best we not think about those things.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an attempt to break away from my tradition of rps that fail miserably, I am trying something new. Something on the lines of Project Aurora with more cohesiveness. There is a definite goal - find humanity's new home. Sadly, there will be an end to this RP once this goal is achieved. However, I doubt that you will succeed. Finding a new home for a species so well adapted to a single planet seems to be rather hard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technology in this universe is somewhat more advanced than our own. We have basic cybernetic implants - but nothing major. Something like the difference between lifting 170 pounds and 200 pounds. Or perhaps making your vision a little stronger. Warp drives are invented, but not perfected. They are somewhat unstable and can fail, but only in the sense that it will take you off course, rather than break down completely.

Humankind had just started its second colony on the moon, the first one meant to be self-sufficient. The first served as a scientific base and was subsided by major Earth governments. This second one was meant to be an industrial center, making its money from the export of valuable ores found on the moon. The foundations were just beginning to get laid down...

To sign up, fill out this sheet:
Character Name:
Weight: (kg only)
Cybernetic Implants: (note that it isn't always advantageous to have these. A dead implant is like dragging around a few extra dead limbs
Character Bio: (no inventing countries out of thin air, and remember that Earth and the two colonies on the moon are the only mass-scale habitations of humans anywhere in the universe, prior to this moment)
Last edited by Normandy on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Empty
Captain
Captain

Post by Empty »

Character Name: Brett Kelton
Height: 2m 8cm
Weight: 95KG
Cybernetic Implants: If possible, something that increases the brain's computational speed, IE calculations and reflexes. Else nothing.
Character Bio: Originally born in Australia, he moved to America for work, he has been a technician in computers as well as machines and so has a thorough understanding of most technology, he is naturally gifted at maths and problem solving but his skills pretty much end there. He is blond and not 100% physically fit. He has no weapons training if that will come into this RP.
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

Character Name:James Falconson
Height: 5' 10"
Weight: 150 lbs
Cybernetic Implants: AI interface with AI if possible and vision enhancements
Character Bio: Born in America, he join the military at a young age. Signed up for a voluntary outfit that used experimental cybernetic implants. After being put into the Army reserve, he took up a job as weapons designer. The cybernetic implant can project digital overlays into his eye and the AI interfaces directly with his brain.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Character Name: Ken Achard
Height: 6 feet
Weight: 70 kg
Cybernetic Implants: Military-grade contact lenses, can be taken out, powered by motion of eye muscles. Contain 1024x1024 all-color OLED transparent screen over pupil, with computer and camera capable of vision enhancement, 8x zoom, some night vision, infrared, and ultraviolet sensing, and displaying a computer screen in front of his vision. Said computer screen is controlled directly by eye movement, has vital signs, a simple text notepad, simple facial and pattern identification (so it can highlight and display information about certain people and things like plants or wires) and a few other random things. He also has a tool belt with computer (obviously, but not a cybernetic implant or anything), ion pistol, 43-function powered multi-tool that he got from his grandmother, and various other items that I will identify later, but aren't dramatic enough to warrant note here.
Character Bio: French/Swedish . . . yeah. Skinny guy, likes swimming, climbing, some sports, but not running. Worked as a field biologist in the Alps and some assorted forests for eight years. He's smart, likes to party, and has a penchant for unrelenting sarcasm.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

@Empty:
Your character is good. Just note though that it is interfaced directly with the brain. You can't really remove it like ChaosTheory can remove his.

@derekiv:
Read: (kg only). I will covert it for my own purposes, but still. The AI interface is a bit far-fetched, so I'm afraid I won't let that pass. The vision enhancement implant is fine.

@ChaosTheory:
You character is good.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
JaffaJoke91
Captain
Captain

Post by JaffaJoke91 »

Character Name: Joseph Jones
Height: 5 feet 9 inches
Weight: 73.3 kg
Cybernetic Implants: none
Character Bio: Joseph Jones was born in The United States. During his time after college, Joseph worked as an aerospace engineer for a major firm. his interests include running, swimming, and tinkering with machines.
Need... More... COOKIES!
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

I'll take this chance to get in on an RP...

Character Name: Adi Klausmann
Height: 1.7 meters
Weight: 75 kg
Cybernetic Implants: Adi typically doesn't rely on implants--he finds them expensive and unwieldy The only exceptions to this are 1) a small microphone implanted in his lip and a tiny speaker in his ear, both toggled by a specific brainwave, much in the way muscles are used, otherwise, it acts like an ordinary radio; and 2) a general medical diagnostic device that allows Adi to check simple indications of health such as heart rate, blood pressure, etc. (Not much beyond what a doctor would do at a checkup.) Aside from this, Adi typically wears a HUD (ala Ghost Recon) that interfaces with his comm implants. It also provides navigation details, as well as vision enhancement and basic object recognition. The HUD interfaces wirelessly with a microcomputer he often carries, allowing to access preassembled databases.
(Sorry for wall of text)
Character Bio: Adi was born in Stuttgart, Germany, where he was raised in a more or less normal family. After double majoring in psychology and medicine in school, he enlisted with the Bundeswehr, eventually becoming a medic in the KSK. Adi is often a puzzling character, at times remaining very calm and collected, at others, as some would say, "batshit insane." He is often high-strung, is very stubborn and has a knack for escalation. He prefers to rely on himself, but is a capable team player, most of the time. He has an unusual knack for 'acquisition.' He carries with him a medical kit, and a 'classic' projectile based PDW, the MP33. His pride and joy is his KM2150, a military knife inherited from his grandfather. He is rather smart, and very creative. His sense of humor is quite unique.
Last edited by DoubleThink on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Name: Eric Benhurst (I hate making up names. Deal)
Height: 5 foot 7 inches
Weight: 85 kg
Cybernetic implants:
He made his own, so he would naturally use quite a few. He uses his eye as a display, for an external microcomputer. It can display the infrared spectrum, and the local weather data via implants in his left hand. (Temperature, humidity.) Also, he has a transmitter implanted in his left eye that uses his microcomputer to transmit visual data back to NOAH. Finally, he also has an auditory amplification device implanted in his ear (can turn on and off via certain brainwave). All implants transmit to his external computer, showing whether they still function.

Bio: Eric was born, bred, and raised in Silicon Valley, where he started his own bio hardware business. He has extensive knowledge of implants, and can fix them when needed, but because he is not a brain surgeon, he can only fix it if it has an external part, and that external part is broken. He also has extensive knowledge of hardware and software, and if it need be, he can fix it. He brought a Swiss army knife with him, and hopes to be the Macgyver of each expedition.
Last edited by Skull13 on Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
flabort
Captain
Captain

Post by flabort »

name: Charles Ripcad
height: 4'11"
Weight: 84.82 kg
Cybernetic implants: Hydraulic muscles on his legs, making him run faster and stand firmer, but they can be damaged. no other implants.
Character Bio: Born on the continent of north America, he only lived in the city of his birth until his 3rd birthday. His father was transferd as part of his military based job, and he soon found himself on the island that was once Japan, learning the language, and learning what was known about technologies at the time... or what he could understand about it. soon after, his father was shot in a war between two street gangs that he had tried to stop, leaving Charles and his mother without anyone to take care of them. almost a week later, he had been playing in the street when a car crashed into him, leaving him with limp legs. the only thing that his mother could do was rush him to the hospital as fast as she could, were the doctor gave him some external hydraulic muscles, so he could still walk. this was almost 25 years ago. he is now a 28 year old man with brown hair, green, almost grey, eyes, a few missing teeth were he was often punched during bar brawls, glasses of a simple nature to counter a weak case of near sightedness, and a slight but barely noticeable tan. he is intelligent, but has trouble with machines. he almost always wears a down coat, but prefers the heat to just wearing a T-shirt. he carries only his money, a few pencils, some paper, an ancient dagger used for ripping flesh, and a very inaccurate rapid fire pistol. he is withdrawn, and suppseptable to seizures, but only his tongue is affected by them, and he simply can't speak during them.
As double think said about his post, sorry about the wall of text. the short form of the character bio is:
hair:brown
eyes: grayish green
Interests:wearing a down coat, brawling, drawing
languages: english+japanese
condition: weak legs, if it wearn't for implants. missing 9 teeth.
Flaming Leaches And Beetles On Rye Toast... my name is an acronym...
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

Name: Killian Stephenson
height: 6'
weight: 60.95 kg
Cybernetic Implants: Microprocessor in his brain stem. Increases dexterity and reflexes, as well as a slight brainpower increase. But if it goes dead, his reflexes become sluggish and he cannot perform any tasks that require precision.
Bio: Originally born in Scotland, he was forced to leave at an early age when his father was attacked by the townspeople, after being blamed for the livestock dissapearences in the area. They relocated to Ireland and were living quite well there until his father died, which plunged his mother into deep depression. His father's successful business ventures had left them with a considerable fortune, and Killian, being 18 and ready to move out, decided to stay behind and help his mother. She recovered after several years and was able to get the household into order again and promptly began caring again for her other, 8 and 10 year old daughters. Killian moved out and attended engineering school, where he earned a master's in electrical engineering, as well as a bachelor's in architecture. He now leads a successful life and is 30 years old. Now, he is embroiled in the prospect of finding humanity a new home.
Master Chief
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Master Chief »

Character Name: Boris Gorbachev
Height: 1.76 m
Weight: 64 kg

Cybernetic Implants: Genetic modification at birth, resulting in him being slightly more agile, more intelligent and having a greater muscle density. Also has an irremovable retinal display, which allows him to see into the infrared and ultraviolet, and a prosthetic left hand, which he lost in a freak accident when he was 11 years of age.

Character Bio: A descendant of Mikhail Gorbachev, the late 20th century Russian politician, Boris Gorbachev was born in Moscow, Russia, and was a talented violinist who played in several orchestras and had his own concert when he was 13. He migrated to Switzerland when he was 22, and also became a successful investor in the stock markets. He has a certain affinity for his prototype plasma sub-machine guns, which he developed in conjunction with several Russian scientists. He is also skilled in cooking, playing the piano, art appreciation and also covert military operations, where he is an excellent sniper at long range. Though rich, he remains frugal and does not unnecessarily spend beyond his means. His most prized possessions are a 17th century Stradivarius violin, a nanomolecular combat knife and his "lolplasmas". He has a friendly and outgoing nature, and is extremely sociable with most people, as he can speak five languages (English, Russian, French, German and Dutch). Boris is currently 29 years of age, and is now caught up in the struggle and the prospect of reestablishing the human civilisation, though he personally thinks that the glory and the grandeur of the old Terra will never be attained again.
[b]GONE UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE[/b]
Swamp Fox
Captain
Captain

Post by Swamp Fox »

Character name: Alexander Hawking
Height: 6' 4”
Weight: 72.73 kilograms
Cybernetic implants: Basically it's just a hard disk and CPU wired into his brain. This allows him to code no matter where he is and store the data when he's done, but he does not get any physical benefits. There is no wireless so to transfer data to another system he has to physically plug in. If it gets disabled he is not really any worse off than he was before, but since he has to code through a keyboard his productivity is cut drastically.
Character Bio: Intelligent, underdeveloped muscles, expert programmer and computer technician, almost no physical skills, knows how to use most weapons but has little to no practice, frequently 'modifies' things. Because he is so physically substandard he has been quite certain to improve his mental capabilities. He seems to have a more analytical and detached viewpoint than most humans but has very few social skills and unusual notions of morality and ethics. An interesting tidbit is that the more caffeine he has in his bloodstream at any given time the more productive he becomes.
"Okay. I'm gonna get your money for ya. But if you don't get the President of the United States on that phone, you know what's gonna happen to you?"
"What?!"
"You're gonna have to answer to the Coca Cola company."
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Damn, so many engineers. Well, what are you going to expect, I suppose...

This next batch is good, no specific beef with anyone or anything. Though I am a bit weary of Master Chief's 'Gene Enhancement', I'll let it slide simply because I don't really feel like making a big fuss out of it.

Also, I will say that your character can and will accrue permanent irreversible damage throughout the RP, if not death. I will injure you only if I feel it is necessary or you are pissing me off, or others off in the RP. Death comes only if I feel the need to kick you from the RP.

Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

It would make sense, right? We have limited supplies here, and we need to fix what we have often. But that doesn't matter: If anyone else joins, we need a freaking brain surgeon!
Last edited by Skull13 on Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

So, how many of us will you accept?