[RP][OOC] PROJECT PHOENIX - Chapter 1: Cryoburn

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

It's not exactly possible to magically swap people. :?

That said, I am looking for replacements for Wolfbrother and Verminator.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

Didn't you know GM's do whatever they want?
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Arcalane wrote:That said, I am looking for replacements for Wolfbrother and Verminator.
Mmm, I'd take it if I get to keep my own character. I rather not to play a gun-slinging hunk of testosterone.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

ChaosTheory wrote:Mmm, I'd take it if I get to keep my own character. I rather not to play a gun-slinging hunk of testosterone.
Who needs hormones when you have high gravity and arm knives?
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

BoVinE wrote:
ChaosTheory wrote:Mmm, I'd take it if I get to keep my own character. I rather not to play a gun-slinging hunk of testosterone.
Who needs hormones when you have high gravity and arm knives?
Grav situation is probably less than 1 Earth G. Who needs a massive beast body when a small one is smarter, jumps higher, and kills just as fast?
Arcalane wrote:perhaps in space or on the ground.
Strong grav fields on a space station are unlikely. The ambiguity leads to the assumption that it's low-gravity.

At least, I hope that was the correct interpretation of your post. If not, I have no clue what you just said. I also assume you're currently discussing this on IRC, amirite?
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

They already looked outside and saw a desert planet's surface. :roll:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Arcalane wrote:They already looked outside and saw a desert planet's surface. :roll:
Point stands, I believe. I said "lower than Earth G", not "space station". A desert planet is likely to be smaller than Earth as well, noting that it would have a thinner atmosphere and all, more like Mars. Not that it particularly matters anyway.

So, the little alien girl. Can she play amongst the testosterone of your pristine desert world?
BoVinE
Commodore
Commodore

Post by BoVinE »

ChaosTheory wrote:
Arcalane wrote:They already looked outside and saw a desert planet's surface. :roll:
Point stands, I believe. I said "lower than Earth G", not "space station". A desert planet is likely to be smaller than Earth as well, noting that it would have a thinner atmosphere and all, more like Mars.
Bullshit. Thinner atmosphere, closer to a star, high CO2 content, near the equator, anything.
Forgetting internet deadlines since 2003
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

BoVinE wrote:Bullshit. Thinner atmosphere, closer to a star, high CO2 content, near the equator, anything.
Since you are intent on debating a non-issue, I think the evidence I presented is sufficient in light of the fact that you haven't presented anything to support your arbitrary and unrelated comments on the gravitational coefficient of this lovely arid planet. Care to propose any reason why the planet's gravity would be greater than Earth's, which is itself an above-average sized planet for those capable of supporting life within the reasonable future?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

I'm sorry, you presented evidence? I saw you making assertions, CT, but I never saw you provide any evidence for these assertions. Maybe you don't know what this word means?

Never minding the fact that we probably won't be on this planet for very long, a strong creature such as BoVinE's character, who is very strong and likely adapted to a high gravity environment, would perform BETTER in a low-grav environment. His movements would be easier, his strength easier for him to bring to bare, and he would also likely be very fast if the gravity is so much lower than what he's used to.

And Arca never said anything to indicate that the gravity is either higher OR lower than 1G. Any significant difference in gravity would be important to know, so he likely would have told us. I'm not sure why you two are arguing this point, but BoVinE offered plenty of good reasons on why there might be a desert outside.

Why do people assume that if a planet has a desert, the entire PLANET must be a desert? :roll: Any number of factors could result in a desert-like planet (making the assumption that the whole planet is a desert), and not all of them would result in lower-than-earth gravity.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Anna wrote:I'm sorry, you presented evidence? I saw you making assertions, CT, but I never saw you provide any evidence for these assertions. Maybe you don't know what this word means?
Ahem. Logical reasoning to refute the possibility of a high-gravity planet. Relative to BoVinE's arbitrary assertion, logic makes good evidence. You have, in fact, also unwittingly supported my point in your third paragraph. Furthermore:
Anna wrote:His movements would be easier, his strength easier for him to bring to bare, and he would also likely be very fast if the gravity is so much lower than what he's used to.
And my character would be yet nimbler.

There is nothing worthwhile to debate here. Move it along.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

You asserted that the gravity would be less than 1G. You have yet to provide a shred of evidence for this claim. Do so, or shut the hell up, CT. I asserted that the gravity is likely 1G or so close to 1G that it doesn't matter. No, there's no evidence it is GREATER than 1G either, which is why I didn't say there was.

I said your reasoning is bullshit.

Just because it looks like a desert planet outside, doesn't mean it is. Even if it is, a desert planet can be caused from a wide variety of different phenomena and holds almost zero indication of how much gravity the planet will have, or even how large it is. Finally, even if the planet is smaller than Earth, it could also be DENSER, or it could be spinning FASTER, which means it could still have a gravity greater than or equal to Earth's.

The fact is, Arca gave no indication that gravity was lighter or heavier than normal. Therefor, you're full of shit. BoVinE made an assumption, you tried to turn it into an argument and made a firm ASSERTION that the planet had less than 1G. You have no evidence to back up this argument. You were wrong. Accept it and move on.
Last edited by Anna on Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

ChaosTheory wrote:
Anna wrote:I'm sorry, you presented evidence? I saw you making assertions, CT, but I never saw you provide any evidence for these assertions. Maybe you don't know what this word means?
Ahem. Logical reasoning to refute the possibility of a high-gravity planet. Relative to BoVinE's arbitrary assertion, logic makes good evidence.
Ahem.

"The car did not brake, and since the driver was not asleep and had not been drinking, thus most certainly attempting to do so, the brakes must have been sabotaged or broken."

There. Logical reasoning? Yes. Evidence? No. Please, try to keep things for what they are, aye?

Besides, what does athmosphere density have to do with gravity? :| If the athmosphere was thin, the possiblity of it being a desert planet, or at least partially, is higher, but I don't see how the planet's size, and thus it's gravity, fit into that reasoning? :?
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

You folks seem to have forgotten what you're arguing at the wall over:
ChaosTheory wrote:
BoVinE wrote:Who needs hormones when you have high gravity and arm knives?
Grav situation is probably less than 1 Earth G. Who needs a massive beast body when a small one is smarter, jumps higher, and kills just as fast?
Strong grav fields on a space station are unlikely. The ambiguity leads to the assumption that it's low-gravity.
Anna wrote:The fact is, Arca gave no indication that gravity was lighter or heavier than normal. Therefor, you're full of shit. BoVinE made an assumption, you tried to turn it into an argument and made a firm ASSERTION that the planet had less than 1G. You have no evidence to back up this argument. You were wrong. Accept it and move on.
Right. I totally turned it into an argument. BoVinE made a very random statement about the gravity situation on the planet, and I gave a few points as to why a high-gravity planet is unlikely ("firm assertion" my ass). Most of what you've said has been about what Arca hasn't said about the planet. Ambiguity means we can't say for certain what the gravity is, see the above. YOU are doing your best to turn it into an argument, and I refuse to follow you, because there's nothing concrete to argue over in the first place.

Now, why do you think I'm wrong? Because you're arguing at the air. The wind. You made such a point of trying to tell me I'm wrong that you failed to notice that I'm not really arguing with you or anyone else. I've shown that there is no discernible reason to say the planet has high gravity, and that probability points to a low gravity planet. Are you trying to say I have no evidence? I believe I made it clear that "evidence" is relative here. There is nothing to be wrong on anyway, because nobody knows. :roll: Perhaps Arca will make it explicit.
ArcaneDude wrote:Besides, what does athmosphere density have to do with gravity?
Smaller, lighter planets hold less atmosphere, in most cases. On the other hand, we always have the oddball example of Venus, but that's not a habitable planet.

Drop it, people, don't be trolls.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

ChaosTheory wrote:Drop it, people, don't be trolls.
No, you. Get out of my thread. :roll:
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ