Conflicting Factions 5 [OOC, sign-up]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Conflicting Factions 5 [OOC, sign-up]

Post by Normandy »

This is Conflicting Factions 5. The rules have been vastly simplified to a point that I had to cry. But here it is.

To sign up, please fill in this sheet:
Name of Faction:
Name of Faction Leader:
Faction Leader Bio:
Starting City:
Name of faction is pretty self-explanatory. Same goes for faction leader name. As for the bio, I ask you to try and stick to the canon, but it is not a requirement.

Starting city is the city you start in (this is more city-based than planet-based). Choose a city with either an AUTONOMOUS sovereignty or REBELLING sovereignty. This is the planet list that the game will be using, so know it well.

Code: Select all

Planet
   City       SOVEREIGNTY      Infrastructure

Arial
   Corsiva     RGA              Fine
   Haetten     RGA              Fine
   Datum       [tU]             Heavily Damaged
   Georgia     REBELLING(RGA)   Damaged
   Verdana     [VC]             Fine

Tahoma
   Mincho      RGA              Fine
   Raavi       RGA              Fine
   Shruti      RGA              Fine

Serif
   Sylfaen     [RoL]            Fine
   Sans        AUTONOMOUS       Damaged

Mistral
   Tunga       AUTONOMOUS       Fine
   Vrinda      [VS]             Fine
   Outlook     AUTONOMOUS       Fine
   Gulim       AUTONOMOUS       Fine
   Mangal      AUTONOMOUS       Fine
   Batang      AUTONOMOUS       Fine
   Gothic      AUTONOMOUS       Fine

Lucida
   Antiqua     FCS              Damaged

Marlett
   Latha       FCS              Fine
   Kartika     FCS              Fine
If you notice the second column, that is 'infrastructure'. That is the amount of damage the city has sustained, from bombardment, fighting, etc... As one might guess, a city with more heavily damaged infrastructure will produce less resources and be easier to take.

As for resources, there are 4 resources:

Credits - The ambiguious, do-all credit.
Metal - Metals used for construction.
Minerals - Specific materials used for various purposes, such as insulation or electronics.
Reactives - The 'fuel' resource. Lasts only one tick, so whatever the production is will be the maximum consumption available of reactives.

Incomes are proprietary - only the owner of a city will know how much of each resource the city produces.

Ground combat takes just as much precedence as space combat. You will need to prepare your cities not only from space attack, but ground attack as well.

Speaking of space combat, in the beginning all players will have exactly the same ship blueprints. New ship designs will be given to players as they advance in both technology and infrastructure.

Movement is simple. Ground troops can move across a planet by conventional means, so they require no special ordering. Spaceships need to consume reactives in order to move.

In addition, there are a few other gameplay mechanics that will be introduced to you during the first tick. If I were to explain these here without example, I would horribly confuse you all. These are mainly domestic actions, such as research and ship construction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some things to know:

This game is set in the backdrop of a single system (which miraculously has 6 habitable planets. Stop asking questions). There is only one race in play, humans. The level of technology is somewhat higher than what we have today, but not as high as to develop intergalactic space flight. The major pre-existing factions are:

RGA - The Royal Galactic Armada. The original holder of the entire system. However, a large majority of the system has now broken away, with many other cities already rebelling.

FCS - Free Commonwealth States. A small alliance formed between Lucida and Marlett as a mutual defense against reconquest by the RGA. They hope to eventually include all of the breakaway cities in a force that will keep peace in the system.

Mistral - Mistral is not at war with the RGA (as compared to the rest of the system). Mistral was given sovereignty (which was what sparked the entire war, but more on that later) by the RGA to form its own nation, though the cities remain un-united.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Players:

Republic of Leary (RoL) - AidanAdv
Vrinda Sovereign (VS) - CheesyErwin
the Young Uprising (tU) - Himura.Kenshin
Verdana Coalition (VC) - Anty
Last edited by Normandy on Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Why did you name them all after fonts? :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Shhh... they don't need to know.

Fonts have really good names. I don't know who named the microsoft standard fonts, but they are really creative.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
DoubleThink
Captain
Captain

Post by DoubleThink »

Reminds me of San Seriffe.
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

:(

/sigh

I'm in, as always. I'll submit stuff soon. I miss the older rules.
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Grab me a spot, as per usual. I'll put otgether some semblance of a story later.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

Name of Faction: Republic of Leary
Name of Faction Leader: Admiral Oisín Conleth
Faction Leader Bio: Oisín Conleth was born in the city of Mincho on the RGA world of Tahoma to Kennedy and Nora Conleth. His father had served during the Unification War as a medic with 134th Royal Infantry Company, after the war he returned home to Mincho opened a small medical practice and married his college sweetheart Nora Éibhir. Nora father had worked in one of the factories in Mincho. He scraped together what he could so that Nora could get an education. Nora graduated from The Royal University at Mincho with a degree in Ceramic Sciences. Before marrying Kennedy, she worked as a Ceramic Researcher at Boland Chemical.

As a child Oisín was sent to the most exclusive private schools on Mincho. Oisín was quite shy and had made friends in school. He had a fascination with the stars and space travel, and he would often spend entire nights stargazing. After high school he left Mincho for the Royal Naval Academy at Haetten on Corsiva. After graduating at top of his class, he assigned to the RGAS Arial, a Rockwell class frigate. In the Navy his sharp intellect and attention to the small details that could tip a battle one way or another got him noticed by the higher ups and he quickly rose through the ranks. As Admiral he was put in command of the 3rd Battlegroup stationed at Serif.

When the disintegration of the RGA began, Oisín saw a chance like none other. Along with a small contingent of soldiers and other followers he seized the city of Sylfaen and formed the Republic of Leary (often abbreviated as the RoL). With the RGA focusing on the rebellions on Arial and the war with the FCS, they didn’t have the resources do deal with the desertion of Admiral Conleth and his men. Oisín has since then worked on fortifying his domain and building a small army. There is word that he will soon attack the city of Sans in order to gain full control of Serif.
Starting City: Sylfaen
Last edited by AidanAdv on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Name of Faction: The Vrinda Sovereign
Name of Faction Leader:King Erwin von Kevsig
Faction Leader Bio:
Erwin was born in the city of Vrinda, the heir to King David von Kevisg. Born as a royal heir, the von Kevsig family had high expectations on him. Since childhood, Erwin had shown aptitudes of a ruler, and when he turned 18, his family sent him to RGA's Royal Naval Academy of Shruti on Tahoma for military training, a tradition for every von Kevsig family members to show their maturity. 3 years later, Erwin graduated from the Naval Academy, he did not join the Royal Navy, but returned to the Sovereign instead. He served as his father's assistant in the Sovereign court for 3 years, until his father was assassinated by the rivaling families. Though many Sovereign officials expressed their views that Erwin was too young (being 24 years old) to succeed his father's throne. Erwin showed them he was indeed a natural leader, and had won the affection of the Vrinda citizens.

However, the prosperity of Vrinda had made Sovereign a lot of enemies, there was a rumor that the cities of Outlook, Tunga, and Gulim are preparing to form an coalition to lay siege on Vrinda. Erwin was aware of the rumor, he ordered his army to fortify the city defenses, and on the other hand, he is seeking aid from the other city-states through diplomatic means.

Starting City: Vrinda
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Don't worry AidanAdv, I personally like the backstory. Saves me a lot of explaining. The Republic of Leary is Approved.

CheesyErwin, a teensy bit liberal with the backstory there, but I'll accept it since it's voicing possible hostilities rather than open hostilities. The Vrinda Sovereign is Approved.
Also, just a note: Sovereign is a legal term for rights to rule. A sovereign nation is a nation that rules itself (autonomous is another word for this). The US has sovereign rights to it's continental body, as well as Hawaii and Alaska; as in these areas are under the control of the US government. It feels like you don't know the exact definition, since you used 'sovereign' as a noun in your faction's name, while it's actually an adjective.

CheesyErwin
Captain
Captain

Post by CheesyErwin »

Normandy wrote:Don't worry AidanAdv, I personally like the backstory. Saves me a lot of explaining. The Republic of Leary is Approved.

CheesyErwin, a teensy bit liberal with the backstory there, but I'll accept it since it's voicing possible hostilities rather than open hostilities. The Vrinda Sovereign is Approved.
Also, just a note: Sovereign is a legal term for rights to rule. A sovereign nation is a nation that rules itself (autonomous is another word for this). The US has sovereign rights to it's continental body, as well as Hawaii and Alaska; as in these areas are under the control of the US government. It feels like you don't know the exact definition, since you used 'sovereign' as a noun in your faction's name, while it's actually an adjective.
I do know the exact meaning of "Sovereign", and I use it as a noun because I saw it used as a noun somewhere before, and it sounds better than Kingdom or Empire.
(Or maybe I should rename the name as "Principality of Vrinda"?)
-CheesyErwin.
The one who makes the best[Claim disputed] mechas with BSF currently. (And the creator of the Sabot Cannon of the BSFCE.)

Worlds At War Universe:
The Earth Coaltion
Mars People's Union
The Free City-states of Luna
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Just tack a couple of extra letters onto the end to get Sovereignty and it's fine.

sov·er·eign
/ˈsɒvrɪn, ˈsɒvərɪn, ˈsʌv-/
–noun
1. a monarch; a king, queen, or other supreme ruler.
2. a person who has sovereign power or authority.
3. a group or body of persons or a state having sovereign authority.
4. a gold coin of the United Kingdom, equal to one pound sterling: went out of circulation after 1914.

–adjective
5. belonging to or characteristic of a sovereign or sovereignty; royal.
6. having supreme rank, power, or authority.
7. supreme; preeminent; indisputable: a sovereign right.
8. greatest in degree; utmost or extreme.
9. being above all others in character, importance, excellence, etc.
10. efficacious; potent: a sovereign remedy.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The Game is officially beginning. Entrants are still welcome; normal sign-up rules still apply.

I would suggest you sign up soon.

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Himura.Kenshin wrote:Name of Faction: the Young Uprising, or shortened to the Uprising (tU)

Name of Faction Leader: Cerasi Andalus and Neild Cambria

Faction Leader Bio: Cerasi Andalus and Neild Cambria are the joint leaders of the Candara Ascendancy.

Cerasi Andalus was born a single child to lower-class Nyala and David Andalus, in the city of Datum on Arial. Her parents were on the opposing side of the Unification War, fighting in the Planetary Defense Force of Lucida. Nyala was a starfighter pilot and David a mechanic, both of the 13th Squadron. Lucida was the last planet to fall to the RGA, and therefor it was the site of much of the worst battles of the war. They lost everything but their lives when the RGA finally gained control of Lucida. To avoid persecution, they fled to Datum, Arial, under false identification. A year later, Cerasi was born.

She was a strong-willed individual from early on in her childhood. Constantly off "adventuring" on her own, she enjoyed sneaking into restricted areas, and she often found herself in dangerous situations. These ventures went unnoticed by the authorities. In school, she was naturally bright. This got her into some pre- Naval Academy classes, but her lack of care for her other "proper" academic classes awarded her low marks over-all. Because of this, she constantly got into trouble with her instructors, whom she took no notice of. She grew up with a hatred of the RGA, for what it had done during the Unification War.

When the tri-city Rebellion began, she was thrown into a survival situation. Her family moved into underground shelter, and began to support the Rebellion. She participated in a number of missions, including sabotaging RGA supplies and ammunition in Corsiva and Haetten. However, the Rebellion's efforts were uncoordinated, and they were slowly torn away at, piece by piece. Every leader of the Rebellion, the brightest minds fighting against the RGA, gathered, Cerasi's parents included. The second Rebellion council came and went, another failed attempt due to lack of easy communication. Seven months into the fighting, the third Rebellion council convened. For the first time, necessity and desperation made it a success. It gave new hope to the Rebellion, and more gathered to join it's cause. By the eigth month rolled around, a political system had been formed, and the Rebellion became a single front.

However, as the Rebellion grew, so did unrest. Hungry for power, others rose to challenge the council. But the council would not listen to them. Given so much power, they were afraid to give it up. The Rebellion became weakened with political infighting: those with power could not give it up, and those without hungered for it. Soon, Cerasi saw the Rebellion for what it really was: a breeding ground for power-hungry politicians, caring more about their own future than the original goals of the Rebellion. For three months, the Rebellion couldn't do anything, plagued with infighting, while the RGA gained the upper hand.

Somewhere in the tenth month of the ordeal, all but a few members of the council were discovered by the RGA and subsequently assassinated, including Cerasi's parents, Nyala and David.

Neild was an orphan from the city of Raavi, on Tahoma. Four years before the Rebellion began, he moved to the city of Datum. Here, Neild and Cerasi grew inseperable, becoming the best of friends. When the Rebellion began, Neild joined the cause alongside Cerasi, and every mission they did, they did together. And ten months of figting spawns many missions. Neild foresaw the plague of politics even before Cerasi - but he had plans for the future. With the help of Cerasi, they forged connections with others their age within the Rebellion. They formed a secret society, if you will, separate of the Rebellion, and consisting of all of it's younger generation. They distributed supplies, stockpiling it along with ammunition. When the infighting began, they expanded their society. Week after week saw more of the younger generation joining the Uprising, and soon it became one of the largest secret armies ever known.

The weeks after the assassination of the council were chaotic. Power hungry politicians fought for control of the Rebellion, each wishing to be sole leader. The Rebellion fell apart, becoming once again a guerilla operation - many sectors, only joined by the fact that they were each fighting against the RGA.

Here, the Uprising mobilized. Led by Cerasi Andalus and Neild Cambria, both only 18 years of age, they gathered in the undercities of Datum. The largest secret army became known as the youngest ever army, with members aged from about 21 to 16, and even kids younger than that whose parents had been killed in the Rebellion. To the world, the Young Uprising was born.

Starting City: Datum
The Young Uprising is Accepted.

Anty
Commander
Commander

Post by Anty »

Name of Faction: Verdana Coalition
Name of Faction Leader: captain Nicias
Faction Leader Bio:
Nicias was born on Tahoma 22 years ago as the third son of a poor family, because there were few alternatives he joined the militairy where he quickly demonstrated the militairy skills to become an officer. Coming from one of the poor regions of RGA space, Nicias always was an supporter of reforms. His support for reforms turned into a personal vendetta againtst the RGA when his father was executed on charge of treason.

his division was recalled to the capital planet after the first cities rebelled. Together with 4 other officers he assisinated general Meandus and seized control of Verdana. Proclaiming independence and placing the city under martial law. He established his headquarters in the old bunkers beneath the city left over from the first unification war. Soon after the VC declared war on the enire RGA

Beeing only 22 years old and not having fought in actual war causes many people to doubt Nicias' abillity to lead the rebellion. Some believe that he is more interrested in personal gain then in helping the people.

Starting City: Verdana
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

The Verdana Coalition is Accepted.