Ground Control - Military RP [OOC, Sign-up]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Ground Control - Military RP [OOC, Sign-up]

Post by Normandy »

They had said that with the development of ever more powerful orbital and deep space weaponry, pundits had said that the infantry unit was an obsolete part of war - a needless waste of possible pilots and gunners. Even Space Marines, long the object of idolization by many, was no longer necessary. However, history was to prove them wrong.

Battle of Trevish - RGA forces, though having superior orbital firepower in place, lost to the determined FCS infantry.
Framid Invasion - UNSC assault on NA emplacements stopped by lack of manpower.
Battle for Parifh - RGA forces, though out-numbering and out-gunning PRC space forces, are defeated by PRC superior Space Marines in the close-combat boarding battle that broke out.

Enter the legendary company; Echo Company, 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment. Breaker of the 4-year Siege of Sarinihal, in Terran Contested Space. Celebrated lone survivors of the grueling 15-day battle for Drevisk Ridge, eventually leading to the defeat of NA forces and re-taking of lost FCS land. The list of achievements go on...

Basically, you are an officer in Echo Company. It is your job to carry out the wishes of your superiors, if you so choose.

To sign up, please fill out this form:
Name: (Self-explanatory. Please also include nicknames, etc...)
Position Applying: (Explained later)
Previous Experience: (Put back story elements in here. Try and keep it cannon. Be very detailed in how and what you did.)
You may not be able to get the position you want, since there are a limited amount of spots.

Now, you can apply for one of four different positions (You can choose which one you wish to be named, though it will hold no difference, e.g. a Captain is no different from a Major, at least in this RP):

Captain/Major: There is only one captain/major. This is in ground combat terms, not naval combat terms, so you don't command a ship, rather you command the Company. It is your job to set objectives and plan overall strategic plans.
First Lieutenant/Second Lieutenant: There are anywhere from 2 to 8 lieutenants, depending on how many people join. You are in control of a platoon. Your job is to make sure you are maximizing the effectiveness of troop placement and plan on an operational level.
Corporal/Staff Sergeant: There are anywhere from 4 up of Corporals/Staff Sergeants. You are actually in the fray, so your character will be exposed to actual combat. You control a squad (section, patrol, crew, whatever your country calls it). Your job is to make effective use of the resources at your disposal and plan on a tactical level.
Lance Corporal/Sergeant: These are optional. They are much closer to actual soldiers, and command individual fireteams. Their job is to coordinate troops.

More paperwork will be given to you once places have been finalized.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Things you need to know:

The year is 2491.

You have not yet been briefed on what exactly you're fighting on behalf of the FCS.

Forces:

FCS - Free Commonwealth States
The FCS is a collection of independent political forces who had refused to cooperate with the UNSC during the co-axus war of 2478, citing the UNSC's tendency to 'assimilate' countries in alliance with them. To this day they have remained a rather small faction with little political sway.

UNSC - United Nations Space Command
The UNSC was formed shortly after the settling of the first extra-solar human colony. Records have been lost of the date of this event. They have remained a bastion of peace and brotherhood, but many times this view has been called into question.

NA - Nexus Alliance
The NA are a collection of political states in the far reaches of colonized space. They are great warriors and prefer to be left alone, but often times are drawn into conflicts due to their forced subordination by multiple states in their history, most famously in 2480, during the UN-Commonwealth war.

RGA - Royal Galactic Arm
The RGA was formed after the failed unification Terran space in 2405. It has since conquered many independent factions and powerful political units alike. It is one of the largest factions to have ever existed.

PRC - People's Republic of Canada
The PRC was one of the many states which had broken off shortly before the Terran unification wars in 2400. However, unlike many of it's brethren states, the PRC was able to fend off UNSC attacks long enough to amass enough force amongst it's neighbors to eventually force a cease-fire. No one knows why they named themselves after the ancient Earth kingdom Canada, but most historians speculate that Canada was once an extremely powerful empire which had spanned most of Earth, but no records remain of that time, so experts remain puzzled. They hold a lot of land, but not many peoples.

ITA - Intergalactic Treatise Alliance
The ITA was formed in response to the RGA and PRC's alliance. It had consisted of the UNSC and a few more independent states. However, when the UNSC and RGA agreed to cease hostilities, the ITA was left to fend for itself. Since then it has never given up it's grudge against the UNSC.

TCS - Terran Confederated States
The TCS, often referred to as the Confederacy, are a collection of states which had formed in Neutral Space back in 2437, before the UNSC had claimed it. Since then, they have remained in the political backdrop, not being involved in any wars or conflicts before this era.

Timeline:

2359 - Believed to be the date of the formation of the UNSC.
2391 - UNSC votes to adopt actual power over colonies
2392 - Widespread riots break out around colonies, broken up quickly.
2395 - Settling of Neutral Space
2396 - UNSC declares Neutral Space to have been illegally chartered, calls colonists back.
2397 - First planetary governments begin withdrawing membership from the UNSC.
2398 - UNSC begins putting financial pressure under the Neutral States to abandon their colonies.
2400 - PRC is formed, along with many other independent states in the Neutral Space in an attempt to legally prevent further UNSC sanctions.
2401 - Terran Unification wars begin.
2405 - Terran Unification wars end due to unpopular demand. RGA is formed quietly near the fringes of Terran Space and begin expanding outward.
2416 - UNSC withdraws demands at Neutral States demanding their return.
2434 - So called 'Great Leap Forward', when millions of colonists begin moving outwards.
2435 - New colonies refuse to be governed by the UNSC, and form the NA.
2436 - Unwilling to suffer the humiliation of the Terran Unification Wars, the UNSC allows the NA to form, but declares the NA vassals.
2437 - UNSC declares Neutral Space no longer neutral and annexes all unclaimed territory. However, the TCS forms just a few days before, allowing them to survive.
2438 - The RGA, feeling threatened by the UNSC's massive take-in of space, joins alliance with the PRC to have greater sway on the UNSC.
2439 - The ITA is formed by the UNSC and a few other minor states in response, beginning the so called 'cold war'.
2455 - UNSC and RGA drop out of the cold war, leaving the PRC and ITA for themselves. They agree to sign peace accords, but now have mutual hate for the UNSC and RGA.
2476 - RGA begins pressuring NA states to be assimilated. Many NA leaders agree.
2477 - UNSC declares the RGA's actions illegal and demands recompense.
2478 - UNSC declares war on the NA and the RGA. However, many people are tired of the UNSC's continuous militaristic policy and refuse to join the war, leading to the formation of the FCS.
2480 - The UNSC defeats the RGA at a few decisive battles, and reclaims the NA. Now, they and the NA declare war on the newly formed FCS.
2481 - The FCS defeats the UNSC numerous times, and have used negative media to it's maximum extent. The UNSC, unwilling to continue, allow the FCS to form.

Armory:

AX-7 Laser Rifle
The AX-7 is the staple weapon for any infantryman. It was designed back in 2455 during the cold war as the "ultimate rifle" and since has had numerous upgrades to keep it up with current technology. It fires in two modes; continuous and pulsed.
Max Range: 550yds, 410yds
Accuracy: high, medium
RoF: slow, fast
Kill Power: medium, low
Attachments:
Scope:
Since the dawn of war the scope has been the rifleman's ultimate tool for accuracy. These newest scopes can zoom up to 100x, but only the largest sniper weapons will utilize this.
AX-16 Grenade Launcher:
The AX-16 Grenade Launcher attachment can launch grenade munitions at enemy forces much further than a human arm could launch it. It is capable of launching any type of grenade.
TD-23 Phaser Upgrade:
By phasing the shots of the gun, it allows greater shield penetration power. However, the automatic phase detection program is awfully inaccurate, but it requires a great amount of skill to be able to tune it manually.

AX-87 Coilgun:
The AX-87 is a relatively new weapon. Railguns and Coilguns were believed to be ancient weapons, used even before humans had began settling space, but only recently has their usefulness been rediscovered.
Max Range: 780yd
Accuracy: high
RoF: very slow
Kill Power: high
Attachments:
Scope:
Since the dawn of war the scope has been the rifleman's ultimate tool for accuracy. These newest scopes can zoom up to 100x, but only the largest sniper weapons will utilize this.
Recoil Buffer:
The Coilgun has always been infamous for it's extremely high recoil. However, recent developments in recoil absorption has allowed the development of so called 'recoil buffers', which absorb most of the impact of the shot. It has so far proven very useful in allowing better firing rates and lower fatigue.

AX-116 Personal Shield Generator Mk. VI:
Shield Generators work on a fairly simple principle: Use energy to block enemy shots. However, it cannot take much damage at once, with a rather low maximum overload capacity and has a low energy storage. It has a high recharge rate, however.
Maximum Overload Capacity: medium
Battery Capacity: low
Recharge Rate: high

You shall be introduced to more and more types of weapons as you progress through the war.
Last edited by Normandy on Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

Can we make contractors/mercenaries ? It's a fair bit easier than adapting characters to ranks :).
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

Name: Bjorn "Ice" Tialys.

Previous Experience: Been with the company for 2 1/2 years. Held Strongpoint 243 on Drevisk Ridge on his own for 2 days, allowing the company a good jump off point on their attack. Expended more ammo in that one defense than the entire 6th platoon of Delta company did in the entire battle. Was promoted to full Corporal for this, however, was busted back down to Lance for fighting. He and his fireteam are like brothers, and have been together since they joined.

He has had 16 medals since he joined. Each and every one of them for wounds sustained in battle. He is built like a brick outhouse, and has short, dazzling white hair, which contrasts heavily with his dark brown skin.
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8666/cylonbasestareyevq0.gif[/img]

Mjolnir, Hammer of Thor. Id like to see you try to kill me, and why would you want to take my stuff, its all crap anyway.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Well, this RP is sort of more strategy-focused, so contractors/mercenaries would feel sort of... weird.

The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

What about tanks, attack vehicles, armored personnel carriers and the like? I'd love to join into this, but to keep my character and posts more detailed I'd need more... details :P
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Oo! Walker tanks! :mrgreen:

Wait a tic...UNSC? Now where have I heard that before...
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

*cough* not Halo *cough*

Well, no tanks, but there will be attack vehicles and APCs under your command. You can possibly call orbital barrages, air support, etc...

The first few battles will not have any vehicles, just to get everyone into the flow of the game. Just note though that you aren't a foot soldier, you're in a command position deciding tactical decisions. Sort of like an RTS or TBS.

I'll give an example battle later.

Temujin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Temujin »

I have no idea at all about this universe. Sounds cool though.

Name: Derrek Tiron
Position Applying:Captain
Previous Experience: Derrek Tiron is a legend among men. He has been with Echo Company since the beginning. At the Battle of Prisarix, he lead his squad after there commander had been killed, succusfuly taking an enemy bunker, and turning the heavy weapons there on the enemy. At the Visorith Ambush, he was part of the counter-boarding teams, and he lead the capture of an enemy cruiser. The battle of Tiamen City was when he first really came into his element. Commanding a frontline infantry squad, he coordinated with other quads to use a "leapfrog" technique, allowing a rapid taking of the city.

Now after years of service, he commands Echo Company. Newly promoted, time will tell if he measures up to his predacessors.
[i]In difficult ground, press on.
In encircled ground, devise strategems.
In desperate ground, fight.[/i]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Well, here's an example battle. It shows only one fireteam however, rather than the entire force. However, it should be a good enough example.

Oh yeah, Mjolnir, why don't you become a regular Corporal or a Staff Sergeant? You would have more command at your disposal but you'd still be in the fray.

--------------------

"This is Captain to Lieutenants. We have received orders to take this city. I have laid out plans for attack."
(There will be an overall map given, but I was too lazy to make it.)
"We shall take the north side first, then from there do a sweep around the other side of the city, cutting off possible reinforcements."
"Lieutenant 1, I need you to take this area over here. Lieutenant 2, I need you to take this area over here."

(The Lieutenants now tell their Staff Sergeants what to do)
(Skipping the other sergeants)
"Alright, I need you to take this hill. From there we shall have a vantage point."

(The Sergeants will coordinate their troops to maximum effectiveness.)

[Battle Begins]
The Sergeant deploys his troops in a small valley between two hills, the occupied one which they must take.

He splits his troops into 2 fire and maneuver teams, one of which containing himself and two other troops (they are all equipped with standard AX-7 Laser Rifles) and another one (one with a standard AX-7 Laser Rifle, the Dark Blue one with a scoped AX-87 Coilgun)

Further movement

The Sergeant and his 2 troops engage the 5 troops at the top of the hill. The Fire and Maneuver team moves into their final position.

The Dark Blue Troop takes out the Sergeant, and further combat is done between the two groups.

The Red Troops, having lost their commander and half of their troops, retreat.

Mjolnir
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Mjolnir »

Im fine with a Lance Corporal. I like leading a fire team, I have men who do what I want, but not too many to the point that it gets unwieldy. I also don't have to order other players, and if i screw up, its only me and my 3 guys who pay for it, not the entire squad/ platoon. (though i really should go for Lieutenant, seeing as how hopefully im going to join the army as one next year.)
[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8666/cylonbasestareyevq0.gif[/img]

Mjolnir, Hammer of Thor. Id like to see you try to kill me, and why would you want to take my stuff, its all crap anyway.
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

I hope you don't mind me using some stuff you didn't list. If anything doesn't fit, I'll just axe it. I also described the vehicle and the platoon, if that's ok.
First Lieutenant Alexander Darouch, The Rook
2nd Mechanized Infantry Platoon, the Pythons

Platoon:
Three two-man Volans hoverdyne scout vehicles, very light armor, very high mobility, electro-burst ion plates enable extremely quick handling, each with an AXE-3s(double barreled heavy machine gun in laser form, like two AX-7 rifles glued together, with infinite ammo) on an exposed pintle.
Two two-man Raptor fast hoverdyne assault vehicles, light armor, high mobility, each with an external VC2M88 coilgun capable of defeating armored vehicle armor at long range, with an autoloader for a 0.25 shots per second rate of fire.
Two three-man IronClad armored infantry carriers, tracked, heavy armor, medium mobility, an AXE-3(somewhat stronger variant) turret and a Crayven Tech Iron Shield(thousands of 0.34mm phasnium pellets with an iron coating held on magnetic plates on the front, sides and the top of the vehicle, which can be launched with the CTMF magnetic field generator to create a swirling torrent of iron 360 degrees around the vehicle, which protects it against incoming fire to some degree for a short time). Each IronClad carries six men in full combat gear.
Three three-man Warhound armored infantry carriers, magorb wheeled(think I, Robot, the movie), medium armor, medium mobility, an AXE-3s turret and an AX-16VM grenade launcher. Each Warhound carries ten men in full combat gear.
One six-man Watchdog, a Warhound refitted to be an emergency triage center. Can carry three wounded men in med-diag beds and can sacrifice mobility to deploy and double it's capacity.
One three-man Bulldog heavy infantry carrier, tracked, medium armor, heavy front armor, low mobility, equipped with an AXE-3 with a TDm-25 phase upgrade and Crayven Tech Iron Shield. Can be used to ram walls and tow other vehicles. Carries six men in full heavy armored infantry gear.
Two four-man Orion armored assault vehicles, tracked, heavy armor, medium mobility, an AXE-3 turret and a VC2M104 coilgun turret with a rail accelerator for defeating heavy armor at long range with great accuracy using one-and-a-half foot long bars with explosive cores, with a 0.09 rounds per second rate of fire. Also equipped with three Crayven Tech Iron Buckler(an Iron Shield that protects only one side of a vehicle for a much shorter time), one at the front and one at each side.

Vehicle:
A four-man Overlord Command armored infantry carrier called Castle, magorb wheeled, medium armor, good mobility, an AXE-3 turret, an AX-16VM grenade launcher turret, a Crayven Tech Iron Shield, a Godview Auspex 9 combat awareness sensor kit and a COMCON communications relay device. The vehicle has a low height profile, just over nine feet, and carries three men in full combat gear. Activating the Iron Shield negates the Godview Auspex and COMCON devices.

Equipment(out of vehicle):
AXs-7, a shorter version of the AX-7 laser rifle variant used for vehicle crews and close combat due to it's lower accuracy, with a TD-23 phase upgrade to improve combat lethality.
EMBAR, his family's legacy, a combat knife with a high power capacitor. Very low-tech, but still very useful. Releases a powerful jolt of electricity when it stabs.
FieldCom Seven commander's field kit, used when separated from the Overlord. Has all the features of the Overlord's command system, but with a low(radius of about 12 kilometers) range and no sensors. It's a backpack with a chest strap which contains an active screen(meaning, two-way) and a headpiece.
Vision tube, a hig-tech binocular with sophisticated optical tracking systems, can be interfaced with the FieldCom Seven.
Provisions packs on his belt with seven days' worth of hydrogel and nutrigel.
No armor, helmet or anything like that.

Experience:
Alex Darouch, 36, a ten-year veteran of several conflicts, rose to his position and rank through an automatic field promotion on Drevisk Ridge, when his commander's Overlord, the Battlevan, was destroyed by artillery barrage. Through Alex's excellent combat awareness and quick thinking, the Pythons managed to survive the barrage and flank the NA firebase, who believed the platoon to be destroyed. His APC is called Castle, in honor of 1st Lieutenant Francis Castle who died on Drevisk Ridge.
Alex is not a large man by any standards, and never engaged in any more excercise than precisely the amount he needed to pass various monthly qualifications. In his career, he survived his Jackal hoverdyne being shot by an anti-tank round in his first year of service, crawled his way out of a destroyed Warhound in his third year, survived an M-Kill to his Orion on Sarinihal and kept firing from the coilgun turret before abandoning the vehicle, and he managed all that without a single scratch. Other than for regular physicals, he has never visited an infirmary. It is for these feats that his Platoon comrades call him Lucky instead of his chosen callsign, The Rook.
He comes from a long line of fighting men in the Darouch family. His great grandfather fought and died in the Terran Unification wars almost a century ago, his grandfather held the rank of Major in the PRC, and his father fought under the UNSC flag before the formation of the FCS, in which he holds the rank of General. His EMBAR knife, a relic at least two hundred years old, is passed down from father to son for several generations, and has each man's name, rank and division laser-inscribed on both sides of the blade. Alex is never more than a foot away from his knife.

If the first battle is to be entirely on foot, let's say I left Castle after an M-Kill or something like that. I hope everything's OK with this...
P.S. I couldn't resist Ground Control references :D
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Strangely enough, I didn't know about Ground Control (the game) before I came up with this RP. Only after did I notice striking similarities.

This is an infantry regiment, so I'm afraid I cannot let you have all of your shiny toys. Not yet. The FCS is a very poor nation and can't afford it all. I'll let you have the Volans and Raptors however. I may use your APCs later in the storyline.

That and the first few battles will not allow for vehicles, due to storyline limitations. I'm afraid I'd have to kill you if I told you why.

But, you are a lieutenant. You don't participate in actual combat, and do not directly have any troops under your control. You control the squads, and it is up to the squad's sergeant to arm their troops. Unless of course, we don't get enough people to fill in the sergeant spots and are forced to have multi-role leaders.

The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

Yeah, well, I prepped for the worst case scenario :P I figured mechanized infantry would count as infantry so I ran with it.
P.S. Go play some Ground Control it rules much.
P.P.S. Where are we as commanders, physically?
P.P.P.S. So what does my Platoon actually look like?
P.P.P.P.S. Is my character history ok?
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Eh, yeah, it's good.

Well, platoons usually consist of 30 to 50 soldiers, but if we don't have enough players, we might have to reduce that number to 20 to 30.

Physically, you're either in advance base camps or right behind friendly lines. You could get involved with combat, but I'm a really mean GM, so I'll be sure to make sure all enemy snipers are aiming for you. ^.^