Ideas Ideas Ideas [RP Concepty Stuff]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Pick one. Any one.

Post Apocalypse ("Fallout")
No votes
Starbase Type 1 ("System Shock")
60%
Starbase Type 2 ("?")
40%
Space Western ("Firefly")
No votes

Total votes: 5

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Ideas Ideas Ideas [RP Concepty Stuff]

Post by Arcalane »

So yeah. I'm thinking of running something else if I ever work up the motivation and recover some documents I need to do the stuff.

I have a few concepts/plans to work with here. Mostly what I'm looking for is input on them and which generates the most interest.

Post-Apocalypse
Set on the planet Adelphus in a distant star system, this scenario follows the exploits of a group of unlikely heroes sent forth to, at first, secure additional food supplies for their bunker. The year is 2066, and two of Adelphus' superpowers wiped each other out.

In the red corner, we have the Fahlburg Empire, a sprawling technologically superior utopia where every citizen was enhanced with cyborging and implantation, and their armed forces were the most advanced on the planet.

In the blue corner, we have the Enterian Federation, a technologically average nation that possessed an extremely strong economy and industrial capacity. They favoured biomodification and enhancement over cyborging and implantation.

They both wiped each other almost clean off Adelphus in a nuclear firestorm. Each left behind a series of bunkers designed to protect select portions of their populace - from simple workers and civilians, to government personnel, to military assets such as the Fahlburg Skybase Prime, a hidden mountain fortress used as a massive launch facility for Fahlburg aircraft.

In particular, we follow a group from an MC-class (Mixed, Civilian) bunker that sealed it's doors in 2062, a month before the nuclear launches. However, as with all post-apocalypse scenarios, they are not the only survivors roaming the Wastelands, and there's almost certainly something else out there...

Starbase Type 1
A scifi action/adventure mystery that follows the civilian personnel of a massive starbase that has suffered a series of unusual accidents. Each character wakes up in a different area with no real memory of their former self. It's up to them to survive, find out what happened to the station, and escape!

Starbase Type 2
A scifi exploration that follows the story of a group of scientific personnel dispatched to an ancient alien starbase in order to discover it's true purpose. They are not the first expedition, but no others before them have returned. Will they suffer the same fate, or will they return with the purpose of this monolith? Only time will tell.

Firefly-esque
Best described as Firefly-esque, this scenario follows the crew of a civilian freighter as they do odds and ends around the galaxy - be it simple asteroid surveying and prospecting, or mercenary missions. The game begins with the crew prospecting an asteroid belt before landing on a planet to survey it for colonization as a mining world, with the optional objective of examining the wreck of one of the original freight liners and recovering any remaining, salvageable cargo.

~~

More to come, as inspiration arrives. Any off-topic posts will be removed without warning.

~~

Added poll. Name in brackets is closest comparison I can think of in terms of general atmosphere.
Last edited by Arcalane on Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

That seems suspiciously like Syst- er, nothing I've ever seen before.

On an unrelated note, are there rogue AIs being written into this ? I'm just randomly curious.
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Not specifically for either Starbase Type. I can't answer that question for the Post-apoc, however. ;)
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I'd liek to join the first one.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Perhaps something like the Warcraft III game, Parasite.

Bunch of people on a station, but an infection has broken out. One of their fellow marines is infected, and they have to find out who and kill him/her before the parasite infects them all.

Sounds corny, but the media versions of these kinds of things suck like hell. It's so much more interesting when it's played out, with all sorts of choices. Such as, the alien can choose to metamorphosize more limbs, or wings, or mind powers, etc...

It's really fun in the WC3 version, especially when you're the alien and have an inside guy who subtly implies he's the parasite, leading the unknowing marines off your trail so you can bide your time to hunt...
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Added two of my other concepts now that they've come back to me.

Also, I'd rather have input on the ideas here, rather than ideas for new ones.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

Persoanly, I'd say ST-2 would be the most fun to play. Monoliths are often win :D.

But just curious : what kind of technologies would the survivors have ? Weapons, equipment, etc.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

In ST-1? Some basic starting equipment dependant on your character's role aboard the station prior to whatever happened. For example, if you start out as an Ops officer (Ops officers are mid-ranking officials that oversee daily operations and have the clout to order the security forces around in most cases), you have an Operations uniform, a keycard (you don't remember what it accesses though ;)), and a PDA-like data tablet that contains some 'random' notes made up by myself for previous events.

Naturally everyone also starts with some civilian clothes, a personal sidearm (loaded) and a spare magazine for it, as well as their ID card which provides the basic information they need to start recovering who they are.

Medical personnel start with a Medic's uniform, medical kits and so on and so forth.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

Huh, sounds wicked - where do I sign up ? :D.

Seriously, though, those are some great ideas. If you decide to create an RP, you wouldn't have to worry about my abandoning it ... as long as it's updated at least once every three days.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Mostly what I'm looking for is input on them
Ah, sorry there Arc.

Well, I find the firefly-esque one the most interesting. Not much to add however.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Atrum
Captain
Captain

Post by Atrum »

Should totally do the firefly one.

Yeah? =D
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Just take in mind it's not -exactly- like Firefly. That's just the closest comparison I could think of.

There are basically four tiers to the system; Civilian, Corporate, Government, Military.

Civilians are at the bottom of the ladder, and are frequently lumped with decades old technology. This is mostly because the plans for that technology were lost, so the Corporations aren't really any better off. The Governments and Militaries that remain have the best technology available.

In the far future, something went wrong. Very wrong. Governments across the universe collapsed. For reasons lost to the depths of time, during that 'dark' age, the Corporations seized control.

There are four levels of Corporation;

Continental Corporation - spans only a single continent on a single planet.
Planetary Corporation - spans an entire planet and has control over the majority of it's populace.
Governmental Corporation - spans several planets in what is called a "Sector".
Mega Corporation - spans several sectors to control one or more "Quadrants".

Sectors usually hold half a dozen planets, and their borders shift regularly. Quadrants can hold upwards of 20 planets and their borders are defined by the owner.

Governments have taken a back seat, and mostly deal with more civilian matters that are escalated to the best suited Corporate authority.

The only notable surviving Government is the Terran Republic, still based on Earth. They are perhaps a shining bastion of hope and technology for those tired of life under the corporation's heel. The Terran Republic Navy is far superior to any of the Corporate Fleets in terms of technology and training, but their numbers are low. Were a Terran Destroyer to slice a Corporate Frigate in two with an ion beam, another three would leap to replace that frigate.

Many civilian populations, brainwashed by endless streams of corporate propoganda, percieve the Republic as evil, soul-sucking, baby-devouring hell-spawned fiends from beyond. The Republic do not do much to counter the propoganda, but have been noted for keeping a large "Corporate-Free" zone around the Sol system. Any ships with an active Corporate Transponder are destroyed as soon as they are detected. The Sol system, birthplace of humanity, is the only system under the Republic's control. However, thanks to the Republic's advanced technology and the extensive use of artificial intelligences and remotely controlled systems, it still retains enough military clout to fight off Corporate invaders and pirates.

There are four main powers to the universe; Corporations, Governments, the Pirate Factions, and the Anti-Corporate Coalition.

Fifth on the list and rarely spoken of are the few "Free Worlds" that are lawless planets where the man (or woman) with the biggest gun has the biggest say. Some are used as bases or even headquarters by the pirate factions, and several Free Worlds also host the Anti-Corporate Coalition forces in exchange from protection from the money-grubbing CEOs. Each free world is considered as a unique entity and no two free worlds would ally, as it would lead to them becoming one of the things they loathe the most.

Whilst shunned by most Governments and on fairly shaky terms with most Pirate Factions, the Anti-Corporate Coalition is a fairly large group of men and women devoted to bringing about the downfall of the Corporations and restoring order to the galaxy. They are meant to be similar to the Rebel Alliance in that they believe they are doing The Right Thing and sticking it to The Big Bad. Whilst their goals are noble, the Governments are too weak to support them (though many secretly aid the ACC wherever possible) and the Pirates too interested in out-right theft from the corporations compared to the destructive tendencies of the Coalition, the Coalition rarely manages to make any major breakthroughs. Here and there they may sabotage the odd manufacturing center, but they are little more than a small thorn in the side of several giant entities.

Rambling post. Probably doesn't all fit together because I have a headache, but it should make enough sense. :P
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

baby-devouring
Why is it always babies?

Reminds me something akin to the book, Jennifer Government. Corporations have taken over, and the government flies economy class.

Auriak
Captain
Captain

Post by Auriak »

Starbase 1 reminds me of the Stargate: Atlantis episode "Tabula Rasa". There were soldiers with stun pistols there, whose mission was to bring the people to the mess hall to keep them out of trouble.

All of these seem very interesting, I have no personal favourites.
"Better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them"
Auriak Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1654
Mystar Fleet: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448
Himura.Kenshin
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Himura.Kenshin »

Most fun to play would be Starbase 1. I love brain boggling clues =D
Warcraft III (U.S. East) -~-~- [( Aequinox / DACI-Equinox / Equinox]4[Lyfe )]
XBox 360 LIVE (Mostly CoD:WaW) -~-~- [( EquinoxXenom )]

[quote="Wyrdysm Games"][i]Stop quoting the line above in your sigs![/i][/quote]