Conflicting Factions [OOC, Sign-up]

A section for that silly thing called "role play" and other forum games.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Conflicting Factions [OOC, Sign-up]

Post by Normandy »

Hopefully this won't epic-fail again. Why start back at I you ask? Because CFIV looks like it's a four-letter acronym, and it'd be better if you people didn't know that this game failed thrice before...

Once again, this is a total redesign of the game system, yaddah yaddah yaddah, information, information, information...

What You Need to Know:
CF is an epic grand strategy RP (so called SRPG). You begin controlling a very small area but gradually grow into a huge empire.

Rules:

Basic Rules:
"This is not Warcraft in Space! It's much more... sophisticated!"

This is the map we will be using. Each colored dot represents a star system. For sake of simplicity, each star system will be exactly alike, regardless of shape, size, and color.

Also notice the grid. If any part of a star is inside a grid, it is considered in that square. That means that many stars are multi-square stars.

Currently all tiles are neutral. As the game progresses less and less tiles will be neutral. You can tell what alignment a star is by the tint of the grid(s) it is in.

You may feel free to create alliances, enemies, trade alliances, whatever you wish to do. Feel free to use PMs for private communication. However, you must send a copy of the PM to me.

Income:
"Money makes the world go 'round. I think. But then again I failed Physics."

You get income based on the number of star systems under your control. However, income comes in diminishing returns: having 2 star systems under your control won't necessarily double your income.

You can also choose to increase or decrease tax rates. The default tax rate is 8% (don't ask me how I will factor that in).

Movement:
"Know it's not 3-D!"

Movement is horizontally/vertically only: no diagonal movement between grids. You can move an infinite amount of spaces per turn, but fuel costs rise exponentially.

The amount of base fuel consumption is shown in the ship table. The formula is:

(([Number of Squares to Move] ^ 2) * [Base Fuel Consumption]) - [Base Fuel Consumption]

In addition, it costs [Base Fuel Consuption] more fuel per star to move through squares with stars, so controlling empty space is vital.

Ex:
Frigate has 7 base fuel consumption, decides to move 8 squares, four of which have 1 star and 1 of which has 2 stars (5 total stars)

((8 * 8) * 7) - 7 + (5 * 7)
(64 * 7) - 7 + 35
476 total fuel consumption.

Infrastructure:
"A house divided upon itself will... A house divided on itself... A house... Aw now how did that quote go?"

Basically, since I am far too lazy to have any formal system of infrastructure, you will create your own infrastructure. To submit a request to build infrastructure, please fill out the following form (please take the time to remove anything in brackets []. I will ignore any request with brackets):
Name [of Infrastructure]:
Proposed Cost: [Please provide a reasonable amount, or the request will be ignored]
Proposed Build Time: [Once again, provide a reasonable amount. Small projects may range from 2 to 4 ticks, while the largest ones might be 10 to 11 ticks]
Proposed Use Cost: [Only if Applicable. This is for things such as Shipyards, Resource Production Centers, Research Labs, etc...]
Proposed Usage:
Description: [Better descriptions will make me more lenient when I make price changes or whatnot on your request]
No, I won't tell you how I will process these requests, that'd remove the 'mindless sheep' factor of the game.

However, I will provide examples:

Name: Brainwashing Center
Proposed Cost: 79.6 mc, 12k metal, 5.4k minerals, 500 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 4 Ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 57.000 credits/tick
Proposed Usage: Assimilation of "dangerous radicals"
Description: Resistance is Futile... This facility utilizes free T-0.0000003 internet service to brainwash the masses into our government propaganda and lies...

Name: Large Ore Mines
Proposed Cost: 593.4 mc
Proposed Build Time: 12 Ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 597k maintenance/tick, 15 credits/ore
Proposed Usage: Production of up to 624k units of ore per tick.
Description: Large ore mines. 'nuff said.

Remember, if your proposed use cost is below par from others, anything made from that infrastructure will be considered 'low quality'. This won't have a set mathematical effect, but will have a role-play effect. Ships made from low quality metal will be cheaper, but flimsier.

Do note that this is in no way a baseline comparison for what your infrastructure costs will be like. Remember that this is only the 3rd section, and I'm writing this all linearly.

Resource Production:
"We need more- we need more- we need more- we need more- STOP CLICKING THAT FREAKING BUTTON"

There are five resources:

Metals - Used in ship construction (more specifically hulls and armor components)
Ores - Used to produce metal at a rate 1 ore = 1 metal.
Minerals - Used in just about everything
Crystals - Used for 'high-tech' productions, such as lasers and mind-control devices
Fuel - I wonder... It must be carried by ships.

They are produced through infrastructure, but if need be, can be purchased from your empire at a large cost.

So, how much should you be required to pay for ore production? How much should you be able to sell crystals to other players for? Make it up yourself. This is a much better representation of an economic system than any other system I can think of that wouldn't require usage of any complicated formulas and whatnot. You don't even have to memorize costs or anything.

Basically, the first one to set the price will be the one who... sets the price.

Waging War:
"FIRE ZE MISSILES!!
But I am ze tired...
So take a nap... THEN FIRE ZE MISSILES!!!!!!!"

War is simple really. Just fight it out through roleplay. Really. It's that simple. If it makes sense, then I'll allow it.

Ship Construction:
"'I'll have it up in no time.' is an official term of the United Blood Elf Engineers' Union and should not be taken as a reasonable actual estimation of the actual time it will take to complete a task in any way, shape, or form."

This time, I am far too lazy to make a standardized set of ships for everyone to use. Therefore, I propose to you a 'ship design' system.

How this works:
1) Fill out the form. Once again, if you leave the brackets [] in, your request will be ignored.
Name [of Ship]:
Description: [Once again, a better described ship will make me more lenient with my response]
Design Specs: [see down a little bit]
Design specs are the weapon/armor/whatever stats of the ship. They are not actual specifications, just that Specs sounds cool. There are 3 required specs:

Hull Integrity - Strength of the hull. This is NOT armor, so even though you may have a large hull integrity, you won't necessarily be a huge hulking dreadnought. But you'll cost a whole freaking lot.
Cargo Space - Cargo Space, used for everything from fuel storage to fighter bays. 1:1 ratio with the amount of cargo it can hold.
Engine Strength - This isn't actually required, but it's a reminder that any ship that isn't a defense platform/space station needs it. Smaller engines will consume less fuel, but only if it doesn't have to push that much. Larger engines consume fuel more efficiently, but consume much more fuel. No, I'm not telling you how I do that calculation.

The following are optional:
Laser Weaponry - Basic weapon
Mass Driver Weaponry - Better against shields, weaker against armor
Explosive Weaponry - Better against armor, weaker against shields
Shield Strength - Shield... strength
Armor Strength - Armor... strength

Here are a few example ships:

Name: Velvet Hammer class Dreadnought
Description: Big, heavy, looming, scary, etc.. etc... etc...
Design Specs:
Hull Integrity - 11.7k
Cargo Space - 21k
Engine Strength - 11k
Laser Weaponry - 5.2k
Mass Driver Weaponry - 16.3k
Explosive Weaponry - 2.1k
Shield Strength - 7.2k
Armor Strength - 14.6k

Name: Freighter
Description: Used for transporting stuff
Design Specs:
Hull Integrity - 1.4k
Cargo Space - 8k
Engine Strength - 4.6k
Mass Driver Weaponry - 470
Armor Strength - 960

2) I will tell you how much your ship costs, how long it will take to build it, how much it's base fuel consumption is, how many resources it'll take, and any special abilities it has (please request them in description).

These values will then vary according to if you have any special shipyard (e.g. you've built a shipyard that builds at 110% speed) or whatever.

3) Build away. You can queue an infinite number of ships per turn - they won't build any slower.

How to Sign Up:

Feel free to sign up at any time before, or during the game. I'm very nice to new players and will make sure you don't get pwned too badly if you join late-game.

Please fill out this form:

Name of Faction:
Faction History:
Leader Name:
Leader Description:

And then, make up to 5 infrastructures, and submit up to 8 designs of ships. Submit them as if you were actually playing, even though they will be free (no development cost, pre-built infrastructure, etc...)

As far as infrastructure goes I'd make sure I had at least 1 shipyard, 1 research lab, and 1 resource production building. Other good starting ideas are bureaucracy buildings (e.g. increase tax rate without negative effects), barracks (make troops), and/or a weapons research lab.

For ship designs, I'd suggest at least one type of freighter, one colony ship (request a 'colonization' special ability in description), a defense platform (basically, no engines. Engines are the most expensive part of any ship), a space station (space stations are ships that can't move and have exceedingly large cargo spaces. These are counted as extra stars, so it might be more economical to build a space station than to populate a new star), and a light, fast-building ship that's bigger than a fighter.
Last edited by Normandy on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

YEAH BABY!
Last edited by Squishy on Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

(Post reserved for in-game rule changes)

Please pay attention to the new rules, they are integral to your playing.

Scale:
This game's scale is much larger than any 4x game out there. I've always been one to just like to stand in awe of things much bigger than myself, yet obviously attainable.

Since ChaosTheory has just set the precedent, let me give you a nice scale:

Credits:
1mc is equivalent to nothing. Something equatable to $100,000 dollars today for a medium-high class residence (in game terms, not real-life [well technically RP-life, since this isn't really real life...] terms. You are/will be controlling a huge empire spanning hundreds of stars, you know.)
10mc is around the cost of the smallest ships-of-the-line, or non-fighter ships by my definitions.
100mc Is a nice, decent amount of money for a small faction.
1bc is finally starting to get big. You could get cruisers for this much.
10bc is some pretty nice money. Still not enough to afford the biggest ships, but I don't think we all need Death Stars (usually coming in at around 17 or 18bc).
100bc, that's a whole freaking lot.

Metal:
100k metal is equatable to the amount of metal you would find at your neighborhood car workshop.
1m metal is equatable to how much you would find in perhaps 1.5 Home Depots
10m metal is how much metal goes into a few skyscrapers

Mineral:
About the same as metal, except mineral is used a lot less... in the beginning. Specials usually take up a lot of minerals.

Ore:
Same goes as metal.

EDIT: I have come to the sudden realization we have all forgotten about ore, so I'm scrapping ore.

Crystal:
1 crystal is something your average joe in your empire will barely be able to afford.
1k crystal is like the amount of uranium outside of government hands (not counting black-market sources)
1m crystal is "wtf? I didn't allow using greedisgood 1000000 or showmethemoney!"

Fuel:
10 fuel consumption is something like a truck.
1000 fuel consumption is something around maybe a small-ish cruiser

Weapons + Armor:
100 is somewhere around how much a bunch of space marines will be holding. Not much.
1k is somewhere around a small non-fighter ship.
5k is a sizable amount.
10k is starting to get big, but not big yet.
50k is a very large amount. Not the biggest you can go, but big enough for all intents and purposes.
100k Death-Star-Laser level weaponry, or Giant 100 foot thick armor or something.

Engines:
1k is nothing.
10k is kind of small.
100k is how much you'll need to propel a light cruiser or something.
1m is how much you'll be needing to propel the largest dreadnoughts.

Time:
1 Tick is equal to 67.5 half-lives of the radioactive isotope of Carbon-15.
No questions? Good.
(For those of you out there who realize Carbon-15 sort of... doesn't exist, I'm implying that I have no clue.)

Ship Construction II:
Since I realized that at the percentage bonuses I was intending for shipyards (~10-20%), it wouldn't help with all but the biggest ships.

So, in compensation, I have now imposed limits on the maximum number of ships that can be built per turn. Having a speed bonus increases this number as well as the build time, so say we have a ship that takes 5 turns to build, with 10 being the maximum amount being built at once, a 20% bonus will make it so that it builds in 4 turns, and you can build 12 at once.

Some Misc. Rules:
No, the map does not wrap.

To pick up cargo, just make sure your ship is at a star in your control. To pick up cargo in the case of either raiding enemies or trading with friends, be at a star under their control. This includes refueling.

For ship to ship cargo transfers, it just... does. No special rules, just as long as they're in the same square they can transfer cargo.

Fuel is considered cargo.

Since it is possible to move through space without any fuel (move one space), it doesn't matter if you run out of fuel - it'll just take you a heck of a long time to get where you're going. Also, when without fuel, the penalty for moving through stared systems does not count.

Tick Updates:

The game is divided into cycles and ticks. Cycles are when I will send you updates on your empire (such as Cycle income, Tick income, a general overall update), and Ticks are the time period I've been using this entire time. Generally speaking, there will not be a set amount of ticks between cycles.

Cycles are when you receive your income and resources that you have collected, as well as when costs are calculated. However, production and income are still tick-based, it's just that you won't actually physically have the money/resources. It is important you know how much money and resources you have left, so you do not overspend. You'll see what exactly is included in the cycle report when I send one to you.

Ticks occur at 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM GMT. If you don't know how to convert GMT to your local time, you seriously need to get out a little bit more. Ticks will happen even if I'm not there, so things like production, combat, etc... will still happen. If you know you are going to miss a tick, plan ahead. Make moves for that many ticks ahead.

Money Management and Trade Rules:

It is possible to lend money, and go into negative money. Also, you may choose to pay for anything you build over time, but that requires a fixed interest of an extra 50k credits per tick per tick that it is required to build (so if you choose to build something that takes 5 ticks to build and choose to pay for it over 3 ticks, 50,000 x 5 x 3 = 750,000 extra cost, which isn't actually a lot considering things that take 5 ticks to build usually cost in the range of tens of millions).

Another thing, trading, since I forgot to bias resource costs from one person to another, is basically useless. However, to compensate, I have invented a new game concept, faction-specific resources.

Your faction's resources (e.g. Metal, Mineral) will have a different advantage over say, another faction's resources. This can range from your metal being especially resistant to laser weaponry, or your mineral gives your ship extra shield strength. If you were to buy some resources from another empire, you would gain those advantages for any ship you put that resource in. I know it's complicated, but I'll clarify it later.
Last edited by Normandy on Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:08 am, edited 7 times in total.
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
derekiv
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by derekiv »

I'll join.
I'll whip up a story over the next few days.

Faction:

Name of Faction: Jagatharian Republic (Actually the Jagatharian
Republic of Free Peoples. But they only put that name on paperwork. And
school textbooks.)

Faction History:
Originally a colony settle from the original Earth, the planet started to prosper with the discovery that the soil causes all Terran
life forms to live exponentially longer. Made fortunes exporting the
planet's trees, which were what created the soil. Eventually the inevitable
happened: the mass wave of immigration. With the rising prices of
Jagatharian trees and soil, the middle class man could no longer afford it.
They saw immigrating as an easy way to live forever. As the ships started
heading towards Jagathar, the Jagatharians closed there borders and enforced a immigration blockade. After 1 day any unauthorized ship
heading towards Jagathar would be destroyed with extreme prejudice.
After the first hundred foolish immigrants ignored this warning and were
killed the other immigrants realized that the Jagatharians were serious,
they gave up there foolish venture. Jagathar then opened its border to
merchant vessels and selected immigrants. The selection process for the
new immigrants was designed to make sure the only the best and the
brightest became a citizen. Each year, the selection process got harder and harder as the number of slots went down.

Soon, it was realized that anyone born on Jagathar had no need to
remain to have an extended life-span. Suddenly, every expecting mother
wanted to be on Jagathar, however temporarily, to have there children.
The Jagatharians once again only allowed the best and brightest to enter, but this time the slots were pretty much infinite. In Jagathar, any body
who has a physical or mental defect, they are sent to a hospital and stay
there until a treatment comes out that can make them normal. Children
without defects, but who cannot pass the mandatory I.Q. test are trained
to be in the military or be somebody who's job doesn't require a lot of
intelligence.

Leader Name: Derek Falconson

Leader Description: Voted into power as the second President of the
Jagatharian Republic of Free peoples. He has been in power for 341 years.
Under him the economy has prospered and free trade has flourished. Has
a very lenient regime and dislikes excessive penalties. The current max
sentence for any crime is 200 years in prison. Considering Jagatharians live for a few thousand years, this isn't much. (In human terms, this is equivalent to around 1 year and jail.)

Infrastructure:

Name : Shipyard Zypher Prime
Proposed Cost: 15bc, 40m metal, 7.5m mineral, 75 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 12 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 5mc / tick
Proposed Usage:To build ships up to the dreadnought class
Description: The original shipyard built over Jagathar, it has slowly
expanded over the course of Jagatharian history. It has sections devoted
to nearly every class and the only thing it can't make is really large ships.
Like monoliths and the like.

Name :
Orbital Metal Production Facility
Proposed Cost: 1bc, 25m metal, 8m mineral, 5 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 7 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: Self-Sustaining
Proposed Usage:Collect Ore from Jagathar's asteroid field and
refines it into metal, mineral, and crystal. Produces 50b metal/tick, 35b mineral/tick, and 500 crystals/tick.
Description: Designed to mine the asteroid fields surrounding
Jagathar. It uses a unique system of delivery to get the raw materials for
warships to the shipyard. The station rotates to create a gravity for the
facility. The facility has a long boom hanging of the side. When the boom gets into position, it releases the material and the metal keeps its
momentum and flies towards the shipyard, where it is caught by
automated drones. People often bet on whether or not the drone will catch
the flying materials. Some more pessimistic people bet on whether or not the drone will be destroyed by the flying raw materials. It is not
unheard-off for the drone to be ripped apart by the sheer kinetic energy of
the flying materials.

Name : Jagatharian Research Center
Proposed Cost: 100mc, 10m metal, 20m mineral, 500 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 7 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 25m credits/tick
Proposed Usage:To research new tech.
Description:As stated in my faction history, only the best and the brightest are allowed to become Jagatharians. Out of these people, only
the brightest of the brightest are allowed into the research centers.
Making Jagatharian research centers some of the best in the galaxy.

Name : Jagatharian Weapons Research Center
Proposed Cost: 100mc, 10m metal, 30m mineral, 750 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 8 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 40m credits/tick
Proposed Usage:To research new weapons tech.
Description:As stated in my faction history, only the best and the brightest are allowed to become Jagatharians. Out of these people, only
the brightest of the brightest are allowed into the research centers.
Making Jagatharian research centers some of the best in the galaxy.
Jagatharians take great pride in making weapons for their nation.
Due to this nationalism, many great weapons are made by the research
labs.

Name : Jagatharian Republic Army Training Facility
Proposed Cost: 50mc, 10m metal, 10m mineral, 25 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 5 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 50m credits/tick
Proposed Usage: To train citizens to be soldiers and sailors (not the water kind, the space kind.)
Description:A large facility built in two parts. Part one is on Jagathar
and is where everyone starts there training. Part two is in space and only
the sailors get to spend most of there time there. The soldiers occasionally come of for the zero-G training but they spend the rest of there time on the ground.

Name : Jagathar Administrative Facility
Proposed Cost: 50mc, 10m metal, 10m mineral, 7.5 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 7.5 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 75m credits/ tick
Proposed Usage: To keep Jagathar running smoothly.
Description: A large collection of buildings that symbolizes peace
and
prosperity to the Jagatharians.
Last edited by derekiv on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:07 am, edited 10 times in total.
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

Why so many resources? :shock: Shouldn't we keep this simple?
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Well, whatever. This looks like an interesting one, at least we get a map and simpler rules this time. I'l be recycling the one that didn't move along last time . . .

Faction:

Name of Faction: Myrr Empire
Faction History: Broke off of the Federation a few years ago, and is prepped for war.
Leader Name: Ben Amyadon
Leader Description: Heir to the Myrr Industies commercial empire, he was disgusted by the political system of the Federation and used the vast resources at his disposal to grab a corner of the galaxy and set up shop as an independent nation.

Infrastructure:

Name: Medium Shipyard (SY-1):
Proposed Cost: 75m credits, 25k metal, 25k minerals, 50 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 10 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 5m credits / ship
Proposed Usage: Builds ships, +10% speed for medium-sized ships
Description: A generalized shipyard, it can fabricate anything from a fighter to a destroyer, but the staff is trained most efficiently for freighter, corvette, and frigate production, and pretty much anything in between. The ship yard also builds a few small defense stations and gets direct flow of materials form the nearby mines.

Name: Research Building (RB-1):
Proposed Cost: 50m credits, 15k metal, 5k minerals, 1k crystals
Proposed Build Time: 3 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 2m credits / tick
Proposed Usage: Research new materials, ship designs, and weaponry.
Description: The highest-tech building around HQ, this facilty is chock-full of scientists designing and testing new designs for ships and buildings. It utilizes technology known only to the Myrr elite engineers, who are housed and work in this facilty.

Name: Resource Mine (MN-1):
Proposed Cost: 25m credits, 10k metal, 10k minerals, 0 crystals
Proposed Use Cost: 500k / tick
Proposed Usage: Mining ores. +500k ore / tick, +100 crystals / tick
Description: Churns out ore and crystals on a regular basis, using the vast asteroid fields of Gansu-8. A failry bland building, not high tech at all, but good at what it does. Staffed by a crew of 100, it is mostly machinery and competers doing the work.

Name: Training Facility (TF-1):
Proposed Cost: 25m credits, 5k metal, 5k minerals, 10 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 4 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 500 credits / tick
Proposed Usage: Train soldiers and engineers
Description: A tall, white building near HQ, it regularly sends out troops and engineers into the field to maintain the Pax Myrra.

Name: Governement Headquaters (HQ-1):
Proposed Cost: 80m credits, 50k metal, 50k minerals, 300 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 1 tick
Proposed Use Cost: 3k credits / tick
Proposed Usage: run government, +5% free tax increase
Description: The new headquaters of the Myrr Empire, and a great scenic view of the stars. Surounding it are the Research Building and Training Facility. From here, Ben amyadon cna survey and control his growing empire, while beaurocrats deal with the paperwork.

I'll do ships later, but this will do for now. I have other things to do.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Why not 5 resources? You act as if 5 is a large number. Not to mention all the resources' roles are clearly defined by their names. Metal is used like metal in the real world. Ore is made into metal, like in the real world. Fuel fuels ships, just like fuel fuels cars in the real world.

Ah, nice infrastructure choices ChaosTheory. Does that mean 5% compared to the base 8%, or a 13% tax rate? Because that base 8% is already a lot of money.

ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

I mean 8% * 1.05 = 8.4% tax. After that, I belive all tax bonuses should be added to the multiplier. So the next 5% increase would go 8.8%, then 9.2%, then 9.6% (for 10, 15, 20 % increase).

And 5 resources is just fine.

A ship:

Name: Forseti Freighter
Description: A medium-large freighter. It moves things . . .
---Special abilty: transports up to 25k of any resource, and has extendible solar panels along the top and sides that capture sunlight to cut fuel consumption in a solar system by 25%. :D Most times, the ships travel with their bottom sides facing the nearest star for maximum efficiency.
Design Specs:
---Hull Integrity - 3k
---Cargo Space - 25k
---Engine Strength - 10k
---Laser Weaponry - 500
---Armor Strength - 1k

You notice I do everything in nice, round numbers.
[img]http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn298/ChaosTheory100/Feather_Signature_Ice3.png[/img]
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

By the gods... Another one who can understand the rules well! That makes three in the whole history of the game! Then again you are only one out of 7 players who ever participated in the game...

Yeah, that's what I mean as 5% compared to the base 8% tax rate. I was too lazy to do the math to show that as a decimal.

I'm torn over telling you to decrease the maintenance of the research lab or letting it stay as it is. 2mc is a lot, but having research labs take up a majority of your budget makes a lot of sense...

I will tell you, however, that the Medium shipyard should cost 150mc, but produce ships at 750k credits / ship/turn, since you also have to pay for the ship's base cost.

Government HQ doesn't need a use cost, as you don't truly actively use it. That and I have to keep track of all the costs you guys have. ^.^

The resource mine should have a much larger build time (16 ticks? 18 ticks?), since not too much money is spent on it. I know I'm just nitpicking, as these don't matter whatsoever, but since you are the first player to join, you set the standard for all the other buildings and whatnot, so if you spend 25mc over 8 ticks on a resource mine, then everybody else will spend 25mc over 8 ticks on a resource mine, and then it'll be much harder to tell everyone to have to use longer build times for mines.

That and the first official submission return (for other players, you can choose for this to be sent to you through PM, just as you can choose to send your tick orders through PM. However, you need an espionage center. Yes, I just made that rule up. That's because I don't want my Inbox overflowing with messages. But enough about me.)
Forsetti Freighter:
Base Cost - 950k (That's a really cheap ship. Barely more expensive then my idea of a Medium Fighter)
Metal Needed - 175k (Yeah, you underestimated the amount of cargo space you'll be needing quite a bit...)
Mineral Needed - 75k
Crystal Needed - 20
Build Time - 1 Tick
Maximum to be Built at Once - 25 (Will be referred to as "maximum amount" from hereon in.)
Base Fuel Consumption - 110 (Yeah, I needed to up-scale the epic size a little bit more. That '7' fuel consumption example was a little bit... off. And your freighter's quite a mini-me.)
Special Abilities - Solar Panels: 25% less fuel consumption per star in a square, 10% less fuel consumption per star in an adjacent square.
GM (Game Master, not Game Maker) Description: The Forseti freighter was a cheaply available, mass-produced freighter for small start-up companies that don't just yet need the large bulk much bigger frigates need.
Also, one last thing, a helpful reference for all of you, go to my "collecting ship class names" thread (Link: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1485 for some suggestions on class names).
Last edited by Normandy on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

I think I'll join up; but I need to ask a few questions.

Firstly, will we actually need to construct our proposed ships and stations? Or will battles be roleplayed out?

Secondly, is there a limit to how many different types of structures and ships we can have?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Are we restricted to those weaponry types listed there?
Last edited by Anarki on Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChaosTheory
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ChaosTheory »

Okay, new infrastructure version:
Infrastructure:

Name: Medium Shipyard (SY-1):
Proposed Cost: 150m credits, 25k metal, 25k minerals, 50 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 10 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 750k credits / ship / turn
Proposed Usage: Builds ships, +10% speed for medium-sized ships
Description: A generalized shipyard, it can fabricate anything from a fighter to a destroyer, but the staff is trained most efficiently for freighter, corvette, and frigate production, and pretty much anything in between. The ship yard also builds a few small defense stations and gets direct flow of materials form the nearby mines.

Name: Research Building (RB-1):
Proposed Cost: 50m credits, 15k metal, 5k minerals, 1k crystals
Proposed Use Cost: 1m credits / tick
Proposed Usage: Research new materials, ship designs, and weaponry.
Description: The highest-tech building around HQ, this facilty is chock-full of scientists designing and testing new designs for ships and buildings. It utilizes technology known only to the Myrr elite engineers, who are housed and work in this facilty.

Name: Resource Mine (MN-1):
Proposed Cost: 30m credits, 10k metal, 10k minerals, 0 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 15 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 500k / tick
Proposed Usage: Mining ores. +500k ore / tick, +100 crystals / tick
Description: Churns out ore and crystals on a regular basis, using the vast asteroid fields of Gansu-8. A failry bland building, not high tech at all, but good at what it does. Staffed by a crew of 100, it is mostly machinery and competers doing the work.

Name: Training Facility (TF-1):
Proposed Cost: 25m credits, 5k metal, 5k minerals, 10 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 4 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 500 credits / tick
Proposed Usage: Train soldiers and engineers
Description: A tall, white building near HQ, it regularly sends out troops and engineers into the field to maintain the Pax Myrra.

Name: Governement Headquaters (HQ-1):
Proposed Cost: 80m credits, 50k metal, 50k minerals, 300 crystals
Proposed Build Time: 1 tick
Proposed Use Cost: 0 credits / tick
Proposed Usage: run government, +5% free tax increase
Description: The new headquaters of the Myrr Empire, and a great scenic view of the stars. Surounding it are the Research Building and Training Facility. From here, Ben Amyadon can survey and control his growing empire, while beaurocrats deal with the paperwork.

Also: The Myrr Empire puts 10 freighters en-queue, and assumes 10 have already been built. (don't forget the +10% on the build time)
By the gods... Another one who can understand the rules well! That makes three in the whole history of the game! Then again you are only one out of 7 players who ever participated in the game...
:D
That and the first official submission return (for other players, you can choose for this to be sent to you through PM, just as you can choose to send your tick orders through PM. However, you need an espionage center. Yes, I just made that rule up. That's because I don't want my Inbox overflowing with messages. But enough about me.)
Please elaborate, I'm afraid I'm not understanding you here.

You mean like this?

Name: Espionage Center
Proposed Cost: 50m credits, 35k metal, 25k minerals, 10k crystals of solid handwavium
Proposed Build time: 100 ticks that never happened
Proposed Use Cost: 5m credits / tick in funds that aren't supposed to exist
Proposed Usage: To plot the downfall of empires
Description: How can I describe something that technically isn't here?

Also, do you want to give us a time to build for ships, or assume they get built immediately?

And how much money/resources do we start with?
Temujin
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Temujin »

Removed
Last edited by Temujin on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]In difficult ground, press on.
In encircled ground, devise strategems.
In desperate ground, fight.[/i]
Anarki
BANNED

Post by Anarki »

Name of Faction: Kiran New Empire
Faction History:
Sent by the main Kiran Empire, the Kira Expeditionary Forces were sent out to many unknown and unexplored universes, since the development of inter-universe drives, which would allow travel, over a period of time of a few hundred years, between universes.

Expeditionary Force AP-32 arrived at this universe, 236 years after departure. However; some kind of space anomaly affected a majority of their ships, rendering them useless a year after arrival. Salvaging as much as possible from their damaged vessels of exploration and war, they created their own new civilization; using outdated technology to create new vessels; stations; and colonies. They named their newfound home, the Kiran New Empire.

Very few relics have been retained since their first arrival; the first, is their main Headquarters - constructed from salvaged technology which still worked, yet could not be replicated; this armored structure is far superior to anything they can construct without the proper tools or resources. The Headquarters is the most valuable station in the entire Kiran Empire; for two reasons: firstly, being the center of the Kiran Empire's government, and secondly; the major reason: the only structure capable of creating new Kira, or restoring them from the grave.

The majority of the Kiran Empire's resources come from factory worlds - uninhabited worlds claimed by the Kiran New Empire, and drained by powerful machinery; harvesting power from the planet's core, and raw materials from the crust. The Kiran government "tax" these factory worlds; as a majority of the income created by these worlds are required for self-maintenance. This is it's major source of income; the Kiran Empire has had little contact with traders, but the contact that has been made, the Kira have learned that traders will be their salvation; the worlds will eventually become deplete of resources; and soon, they will either have to expand and encounter the aliens inhabiting the universe, or rely on traders.

The massive cloaking generators - powerful relics which shade the Kiran New Empire from the rest of the universe; are dying - they will eventually fail, and cannot be replaced without proper tools; which the Kira will never be able to replicate here. Eventually; other races will learn of the existance of the Kira - already, traders which have wandered through the cloakfield have returned to their worlds, telling of rumors of a mechanical empire; and rogue Kira have abanoned their people to the rest of the universe; either to explore, or out of hatred of their government.
Leader Name: Pending
Leader Description: Pending is cool. He has like, laser eyes. Yeah.
NOTE: The Kiran New Empire have very little amounts of credit; but have larger amounts of raw resources. Furthermore, they do not require credits as much; as most Kira will hire themselves out as cheap labour for their people's benefit - however, their structures cost, resource-wise, much more then other empire structures.

Infrastructure:

Name: Kiran HQ
Proposed Cost: N/A
Proposed Build Time: N/A
Proposed Use Cost: N/A
Proposed Usage: Mobile powerful war fortress, runs government. Also contains most of the Kiran research project to make total use of their current resources.
Description: Totally encased in special metal alloys, the Kiran HQ is a tough nut to crack; containing a majority of all it's government operations; armed to the teeth with original Kiran weaponry. However, there is only one, and although heavily defended, the destruction of this powerful fortress would mean the doom of the Kiran New Empire.

Name: Kiran Barracks
Proposed Cost: 10m credits, 10m metal, 10m mineral, 1k crystal
Proposed Use Cost: 500k credits / tick
Proposed Usage: Train soldiers, pilots, and technicians
Description: Barracks where most Kira orientated towards military roles will be trained. Usually constructed as an immobile station, although sometimes barracks are built on planets for special ground combat training.

Name: Kiran Mechanized Factory World
Proposed Cost: 100m credits, 80m metal, 40m mineral, 10k crystal
Proposed Build Time: 20 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: N/A - self-sufficient
Proposed Usage: Taxable world, produces [10m ore, 1k crystal], converts ore to metal, mineral, and fuel.
Description: The majority of the Kiran Empire's resources come from factory worlds - uninhabited worlds claimed by the Kiran New Empire, and drained by powerful machinery; harvesting power from the planet's core, and raw materials from the crust. The Kiran government "tax" these factory worlds; as a majority of the income created by these worlds are required for self-maintenance, and only a small percentage actually goes to the Kiran government.

Name: Kiran Construction Yard
Proposed Cost: 80m credit, 30m metal, 30m mineral, 2k crystal
Proposed Use Cost: N/A - self-sufficient, does not include ship construction cost
Proposed Usage: Construction of ships, platforms, stations, and infrastructure.
Description: Fully automated construction yards, which are used to construct prefabricated infrastructure, and ships of transport, trade, and war. Can also construct prefabricated stations, which must be assembled on site.

Name: Kiran War Construction Facility
Proposed Cost: 60m credit, 40m metal, 40m mineral, 4k crystal
Proposed Build Time: 6 ticks
Proposed Use Cost: 1k crystal / tick
Proposed Usage: 200% speed construction of defensive structures (except stations), 50% speed construction of ships.
Description: Used for the rapid construction of defensive structures and quick deployment. Placed near Kiran territory borders, so that defensive platforms can be constructed quickly to deal with any threat. Can also construct ordinary ships, but at a much slower rate. Fully automated.
TrashMan
Commodore
Commodore

Post by TrashMan »

I still say this needs some simplification.

Why fiddle with dozen resources needlessly? Why go trough that range calculation? One can simply make basic range and basic movement ship stats. (ergo, a ship can move 5 spaces per "turn/tick" and has total range of 20 spaces). Eventually adding supply ship in the fleet increases range.

the most complicates it is, hte more factor it has, the more difficult it is to keep track of everything.
[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_iswhite.jpg[/img][url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/battleshipsforever/shipdatabase/uploads/VANavy.rar]VA FLEET[/url]
The Boz
Captain
Captain

Post by The Boz »

I respect the effort and the idea, but it died three times already for a reason. People don't want to use complex mathematical formulas, calculations, measurements and analyses just to write a post explaining a single turn, and then risk it being wrong. The Cold War was a succes because it didn't moderate itself through a rules list that puts the European International Laws of Traffic Insurance and Reports to shame, and was instead moderated by common sense. That is, until people's epenises started to erect, it pretty much went downhill from there.
My point is, RP games work through RP, not arithmetics.

P.S.
The scale has been done before, and much better, simpler even, in a 4x game. Try Galactic Civilizations 2.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!