Starry Night

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ayn Esjduna
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Starry Night

Post by Ayn Esjduna »

Once you realize that this thread has nothing to do with van Gogh, you'll see just how unimaginative the thread title is.

Anyhow, the obligatory stuff first: I'm new to the forum (though not as much to the game), I made some ships, and I've finally gathered enough courage to display them here for the shipmaking community's scrutiny. Comments and constructive critiques are welcome.

The below are from my recent project (begun yesterday, in fact) of revamping my old set of ships (the Starry Night series, or SN -- I'm not very creative with names) so that they are bigger. Actually, it's not so much a revamp as a redesign, since the larger versions bear little resemblance to the originals. The original SN ships were built to the scale of the canon ships and "balanced" using the Pirate Gunship. The newer, larger ships, on the other hand, are not balanced or tested in any fashion, since I mostly built them on a whim.

SN Acrux Strike Frigate and Acrux II

SN Dubhe Cruiser and Dubhe II

SN Altair Carrier and Altair II

SN Vega Battleship and Vega II

The Altair II and the Vega II were designed to serve as counterpoints to each other, even though, frankly, I didn't do it all that well. :oops: The Vega's beam weaponry is supposed to be evocative of the imagery of weaving, while the Altair's Demeters and point defense that of herding, thus corresponding to the Chinese legend of Niulang and Zhinü. But whatever.
Last edited by Ayn Esjduna on Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
osilus
Captain
Captain

Post by osilus »

How manueverable is that first one? basialy can the average ship outflank and get around that big ol aegis shield?
Raithah
Commander
Commander

Post by Raithah »

There's actualy a good strategy around that one. Find a ship with good part strength, low acceleration and fairly high top speed. You'll go flying straight into the enemy and kerpload :D.
The preferred outcome of war, is peace. Ironic; huh ? -[citation needed]
Ayn Esjduna
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ayn Esjduna »

osilus wrote:How manueverable is that first one? basialy can the average ship outflank and get around that big ol aegis shield?
1 speed, 0.4 turning, 0.04 acceleration. Don't know if that counts as maneuverable or not. But anyway, these ships are not built for functionality.
Monkey
Commander
Commander

Post by Monkey »

cool design....damn why can everybody but me make a ship that looks fairly desent :? :cry:
I'm an idiot who tried to embed flash in his signature, nevermind the fact that wouldn't work even if the code tags were removed.
error
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by error »

The SN Acrux II is really nice. I think I'm going to steal that Aegis design. :wink:
It reminds me of a solar sail. :D
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=935]SRN Rigel Shipyards[/url]
doc525
Commander
Commander

Post by doc525 »

THe color scheme makes them look like they are coated in GARBAGE.
T-002
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by T-002 »

*stares at the last two*

No more Assassin's Creed for you!

Nice ships, though. Fairly exotic design.
[THIS SPACE FOR RENT]
Ayn Esjduna
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ayn Esjduna »

Thanks for all the comments. By the way, I realize that there's too much... stuff on the Altair II. How many demeters/much point defense do you suggest that it have?
doc525 wrote:THe color scheme makes them look like they are coated in GARBAGE.
Sweet. I've been wanting to make a ship named "Gehenna" for a while.

But whatever. I like the color scheme.
Ethril
Commander
Commander

Post by Ethril »

Yeah, that's an awesome set of colors.
Warships don't need to be pretty prancing princess pony pink-colored, right?
error
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by error »

T-002 wrote:*stares at the last two*

No more Assassin's Creed for you!

Nice ships, though. Fairly exotic design.
Altair is a star too! Just like the theme suggests. :wink:
Now that I look at it, I really like the Aegis streaks. You
could use them as engine flares too, in fact...
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=935]SRN Rigel Shipyards[/url]
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

I like the Altair, nice curves there.
Ayn Esjduna
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Ayn Esjduna »

SN Sirius Missile Cruiser and Sirio II

This one's quite petite, actually. I set out to build a traditional ship, until I realized that I have no idea what "traditional" ships look like. So here's what I came up with. Any resemblance to a hot dog with two parasols in it is purely accidental.