Birth of an Angel

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Novercalis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Birth of an Angel

Post by Novercalis »

+++ DATAFILE AAA90001_73_HIGH ANGEL +++

Project Designation: AAA-9001 (73) High Angel

Manufacturer: Nihilum Heavy Industries

Class: Flagship

Powerplant: Quantum Singularity Reactor developing 0.87 exawatts

Propulsion:
Conventional: 7 Pulsed Inductive Thrusters
FTL: continuous wormhole propagation at 125.4 LD/hr, median

Offensive Systems:
Multiple Railcannon
Multiple Hyperlances
1 Fury Lance

Defensive Systems:
Bonded Liconium-Carbide Armor
2 Deflector Grids distributed across 30 nodes
Multiple Quick-Fire Point Beams
Twin Nano-Matrix networks

Ships in Class:
High Angel, Radiant*, Dawn of Hope*

Hull Numbers:
AAA001, AAA002, AAA003

*under construction

Brief:

The first new military space craft to emerge from NHI yards in decades, the High Angel was created to be the forerunner and flagship for a new generation. Many nations and corporations have produced more potent and dangerous vessels, but it is not designed to compete with them. Instead, it is meant to be a command vessel and as such, is armed and equipped to reflect this status.

The most complex command and communications array ever devised by NHI resides at the core of the ship, permanently integrated with the ship's sentient(R) bioware AI. This enables the vessel to sub-coordinate multiple fleets with hundreds of vessels each simultaneously. Use of such an advanced AI also eliminates the need for a large crew, and thus the High Angel carries a small complement of 75, consisting of the CO of the fleet, his/her command staff, and a technical-supervisory cadre. All routine/hazardous tasks are performed by semi-autonomous biotek constructs, with the cadre overseeing them.

The hull is constructed from bonded liconium-carbide, and additional plates of appliqué armor can be fitted at will. Permeating the hull is a complex series of vac-sealed nanoscopic channel networks, saturated with smart-reactive repairbugs governed from two central matrix arrays. Coupled with two standard deflector grids, all these features provide a formidable defense against conventional weaponry.

As for weaponry, multiple tiers of hyperlances and railcannon fill out its weapons bays, complemented by several quick-fire point beams. And rounding out all these, in keeping with traditions of large vessels armed with a potent primary armament, is a single Fury Lance. During normal engagements, the Lance is fired at a low energy levels (2.7% reactor output), barely sufficient to destroy other enemy ships. Firing the lance at full capacity requires 69% of reactor output, and is a (thankfully) rare event, used only in total planetary annihilations.

To deal with massive amounts of waste heat generated by the Lance, the ship is equipped with a full array of thermal radiator fins doubling as expendable armor along the flanks and rear. When the fins operate at full vent, the ship exudes an almost celestial glow, giving it its name. Though highly capable, it is expected that the High Angel shall soon be obsolete due to the current breakneck pace of weapons R&D throughout known space. As such, several upgrades are already planned for it and its yet-to-be finished sisterships, ensuring that the class is never left behind in this mad free-for-all.

Schematics: Plan View (unarmed)

+++DATAFILE ENDS+++

Long text block over, phew! Credits to Mr Peter F. Hamilton for the ship's name, which I "borrowed" from one of his novels (if you happen to be an avid SF fan, I highly recommend his books). As said, many changes are due for this little angel. I happen to be pretty horrid at weapons design/balancing so please, do download the ship, play with it, and let me know what needs nerfing, changing, outright removal/addition, or simply what you think. Thank you very much! :)

Download the High Angel.
To change one's life: Start immediately; do it flamboyantly; no exceptions.
-William James
Satanic Mechanic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Satanic Mechanic »

Jeebus, you guys make me embarassed to share my piddling little offerings
:shock:
If you make it idiot proof, they'll just build a better idiot.
Lizzie
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Lizzie »

Out of all the super ships I've seen, this has got to be one of the best looking IMO.
wonderwhy-er
Has Enraged The Admins

Post by wonderwhy-er »

Ouh my god... The inner part of this looks awasome. I think it is the best gesidn i seen so far... Tough middle part of outer armor is kidn of strange... Fine at the front and back but looks kind of separate at the middle...
TheBlueEcho
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by TheBlueEcho »

That is big AND beautiful.
Well done.
......... :cry:
I need to build my Battleship already.
Novercalis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Novercalis »

Thank you, all =) Anyone willing to give their opinion on how it plays? Is it matched against other "uber" ships in your opinion? Need a nerf? buff? something different?

@wonderwhy-er: which part, exactly?

BREAKING NEWS: Spanking New NHI Flagship Participates in Peaceful Gathering of Giants

Just a quick size comparo, sorry I couldn't fit more as my comp was running out of free RAM =/
-William James
Aralonia
Butt Admiral
Butt Admiral

Post by Aralonia »

*Aralonia gapes like a fish.

That's amazing.

*Aralonia shoots himself

I forgot about AI in my writeup! That said, your writeup is one of the best I've seen ever. Concise and not 5 pages on the armour system. I like.
DPUO wrote:<+AirHippo> Funnily enough, folks who abide by the law and try to make something of their lives don't appreciate the rich kids of rich parents getting away with murder and skimming through life.
Satanic Mechanic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Satanic Mechanic »

Semi Autonomous Biotek Constructs have feelings to! *waves placard*

*maced by riot police*
If you make it idiot proof, they'll just build a better idiot.
Syngyne
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Syngyne »

That's one pretty ship. :)
Normandy
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Normandy »

Purdeh...
[url=http://www.fallingsandgame.com/][img]http://www.gaussianstudios.co.cc/hosting/fsgbanneram3.png[/img][/url]

tl;dr-ers will be shot on sight.
[size=75][url=http://bsf.wikidot.com/]BSF Wiki[/url]
"I have measured your 'fun', and science has quantitatively rated it a three." ~Lord Tim (Data Realms Fan Forums)[/size]
Kingoomieiii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kingoomieiii »

Novercalis...

I don't know if it's patience or genius that enables you to do what you do with the shipmaker.

Probably both.
Artman40
Commander
Commander

Post by Artman40 »

The ship looks beautiful. It's just that...(yup here we go again) *gets angry replies*
Novercalis
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Novercalis »

Kingoomieiii wrote:Novercalis...

I don't know if it's patience or genius that enables you to do what you do with the shipmaker.

Probably both.
Definitely much more of the former. Having sketched it up beforehand helps too. :P The ship had to be rebuilt 2 and half times before it reached its current state. I might just use the 2 other complete prototypes as the basis for its sisterships.. We'll see soon I guess.

As for the angel, if you tilt your head to the right and stretch your imagination quite abit, you might see him in abstract. Take the core as the rough location of his head, which is bowed. His wings raised up to the heavens, his posture in one of supplication. He is kneeling, the legs hidden by his cloak (the rear radiator fins and engine manifold forming the cloak which is splayed upon the ground). See it?
Artman40 wrote:The ship looks beautiful. It's just that...(yup here we go again) *gets angry replies*
Now why on earth would I be angry with you? :(
-William James
HighComedy
Commander
Commander

Post by HighComedy »

Absolutely beautiful. I haven't downloaded it yet, but my one aesthetic complaint is the incredibly enlarged tail fins don't fit in with the rest of the ship.
Kingoomieiii
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Kingoomieiii »

I thought it was more abstract than that, but I see it now.

It mostly reminded me of the goddess Dwayna, from Guild Wars:

Oh, and as far as balance goes...

I pounded on it for 15 minutes with beam ships... went through probably 100, I just kept spawning them...

The point defence on that thing is INSANE.

As a possible usablility fix, if the ship gets pushed partway off the map, it's impossible to select the Deiterling drive on the ship, so off the map it will stay. Especially a problem if the enemy is pounding on a side that's had its turrets torn off.
Last edited by Kingoomieiii on Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.