Spambots

For everything else. Video games, music, movies, sports, you name it.

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Spambots

Post by Arcalane »

So yeah, some of you probably noticed there was an influx of spambots a little while ago. It seems to be the season for it. :roll: We've tweaked the signup process to filter out most of them without making it hard for legitimate users to register.

New users will have to have their first post approved - this helps stop the spam from actually appearing - and I try to check the forums at least once a day. Any other admin/moderator should be able to approve posts as well. Once your first post is approved, you should be able to post freely from then on.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Re: Spambots

Post by Arcalane »

PSA: You people are awful at actually identifying spambots. I just had to wipe about a dozen that made it through approval.

Check profiles. If they've filled out occupation/interest/etc. in all lowercase, probably a spambot. Also check the signature for hidden links, especially if they've recoloured the text.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

Sometimes, if I squinted hard enough, it would feel like this place was active again.
naysayers will be shot
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

As a sidenote I also switched up the user registration questions, which might buy a few days of peace and quiet until they figure it out.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Just tried updating phpbb to see if it'll help.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]