Lemme try again

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Lemme try again

Post by Droid »

Oh damn its been a while since I built a ship.
Donno why I even bothered trying, guess its because I heard that people should start posting ships or something.
At any rate,

Industrial Union Heavy Hauler
I need to go over this with the grunge doodad...

But yeah....its pretty much blocky and bland as hell...isn't it? :(
Not that it was unintentional. Well, the bland part maybe.
Doesn't transform or anything...maybe I can try fitting that into the combat-geared version of this thing...
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Lemme try again

Post by Anna »

It's actually not too bad. I mean, the colours are wonky as hell, 'cause they're all different shades of different colours and it looks really messy and weird, but the section work isn't too bad. The biggest problem really is that it doesn't look... finished. There are lots of big gaps that I think would look much better if they were filled in somehow, and the colours definitely need work, but it's not awful by any means.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Corporal Jomn
Captain
Captain

Post by Corporal Jomn »

Well it's way better then anything I can do. :lol: Anyways, Anna pretty much said everything I was gonna say.

Offtopic: Well, I think the forums are drying up because there's nothing real interesting happening. I mean, there's no really big update on BSF, no innovative new style (like the SWA sections), or anything really cool. If there was some big update, maybe the forums won't, dare I say it, die. :( I really hate to see a forum that I've been watching for the last two years slowly come to a halt.
A gay as fuck girl and loving it.
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
████████████████████
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

It looks good. The design fits the name.

Color
The color reminds me of some 90s anime designs. Like Macross, where the alienships have alot of browns and greens.
Its not bad, just not focus. Suggestion would be maybe remove the "light pink" color and stick with the browns and desaturated reds.

Shape/desgin
It does as Anna said, looks a little incomplete. The shape is there, it just does not look "heavy" enough for a Industrial Heavy Hauler.

With that said, I suggestion only filling up the insides of the design. May areas like the containers and the "pods"(?) at the front are very nice touches and I suggest you maintain them.

Look forward to see this design evolve further. Thanks for showing us.
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Bulked up the rear portion.
Reduced the number of different colors.

Any better?
Or should I ditch all the brown for gray tones or something?
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Try making the browns a little less saturated, perhaps. As it is, this is a significant improvement over the last, looking very chunky, industrial and all around rather spiffy.

It may just be me, though, but I don't really dig the glowy purple reactor core thing.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Second iteration looks much better, feels alot more solid after patching up the rear dark area. As Anna said, it does look very industrial without being messy, but the "cargo containers" on the side seem out of place, or not very well "attached".
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Reduced number of colors even more.
Added some prongs to the cargo pods.
Killed the glowy purple reactor.

Tried using grunge doodads all over it but I realized I donno how to use em. Gotta look at stuff that do to figure it out...
lol I'm a moron, alpha, not additive XD

EDIT:

Now with 150% more space rust
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

Looking good! It does look a lot more flesh out then before.

Color -
Suggest trying out a version that has the cargo pods a different color. I kind of prefer them in the very first version, where they are desaturated red. Now they seems to blend in with the main ship TOO well.
The same goes for the "pods" in the front of the ship.

Another ideal is to maybe color them like real life cargo containers, bright reds, yellows.. etc? (not too sure about this option, but its just a suggestion.)

Rust -
The rust is currently brown on brown. I would suggest replacing the "rust" with maybe scorch/grime marks? Dirt and carbon marks that it would have been picked up form working in an area of space where there are a lot of other ships.

As they stand now, the rust works, its just not very obvious. Looks a little like brown camo.

The Core/Centre of the Ship -
Now that the core is gone I realize that I can't visualize a "ship's bridge" on your design. The centre area just seems too flat now. Suggest adding a bridge and replace the core area with something. Maybe a couple of fuel tanks could be seen? (covered by armor). Maybe a work crane, to unload the containers? Or even maybe a "docking area" for smaller ship?

Overall I love the ship. Looking forward to see any improvements you make and any other ships to are working on!
PS: Can we have DLs when you are done? Thanks!
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Eh...arm...something like this?

No clue how I'm gonna get it to move :<

Also...
Donno, just messing with transforming ships...
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

LOL, the containers are now TOO red in colour! Suggest desaturating them. The ideal I am suggesting is to make them stand apart from the ship. (They are containers, not part of the ship.)

I kind of like the crane... but the design is too out of line with the rest of the ship.
As for making it move, you would need to ask a builder that has worked with arms before like Anna for advice. (You may not want to have a moving arm as I know there is alot of triggers involved.

The transforming ship looks great! Are you planing to use it as a different kind of ship? Or an evolution of your hauler?
samkiller911
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by samkiller911 »

Hmm... This looks pretty nice! What sections did you use? Oh, the only bad thing is the too bright red crates.

OFFTOPIC:I've been looking for good ship parts but haven't found a good pack with everything I need, like SW's for all the base parts and like extra things, like these crates.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

samkiller911 wrote:Hmm... This looks pretty nice! What sections did you use? Oh, the only bad thing is the too bright red crates.

OFFTOPIC:I've been looking for good ship parts but haven't found a good pack with everything I need, like SW's for all the base parts and like extra things, like these crates.
I think i used mostly Kae_gnr, the later ones which have more detail, with a few other sections thrown in.

And yeah, sorry about lack of updates, I don't know what to do with the transformoship...

At any rate, I'll put up a download for the Industrial Union Heavy Hauler.
IIRC, the one with the A has the arm.
Attachments
industrial_hauler.rar
If you're missing sprites, I'll point you to where you can get the sprite packs, just ask!
(12.8 KiB) Downloaded 596 times