A balanced set of ships (WIP)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

blaster395
Ensign
Ensign

A balanced set of ships (WIP)

Post by blaster395 »

I am working on a balanced set of ships designed for gameplay, here is my first ship for the set, the ZX Grey, is is an alien cruiser class ship. The ship has a power of 84 on the power measuring system I created

More details on how this will work:

Frigate class:
Frigate: Small, weakly armored ship. Fast
Assault: Small, Higher firepower than frigate, very weak armor
Interceptor: Small, very weak armor, Extremely fast
Destroyers: Small, light accurate weapons
Missilers: Small, only uses missile weapons
Defenders: Small, point defence platform to protect larger ships

Cruiser Class
Cruiser: Medium, Average armor, Medium speed
Heavy Assult Cruiser: Medium, Below Average armor, Below medium speed, High firepower
Logistics Cruiser: Medium, Uses only utility weapons
Heavy Misslers: Medium, only uses missile weapons
Demeter Platform: Medium, Slow, Only uses Demeter drones

BattleCruiser Class:
BattleCruiser: Medium, Tough armor, Below average speed, High firepower
ArmorPlatform: Designed to direct fire away from more vulnerable ships. Uses deflectors and point defence systems.

BattleShip Class:
Battleship: Large, Very strong armor, Slow, Very high firepower
Broardside: Large, Weapons only fire from side, Higher firepower than battleship

Capital Class:
Dreadnoughts: Very Large, Sturdy armor, one weak spot, Very slow, Very high firepower
Titan: Huge, Very Sturdy armor, Almost Immobile, Legandary firepower

Ship modifiers:
Minor: Same shape and base design but 1 class smaller
Major: Same shape and base design but 1 class larger
V2: Small improvement over original
V3: Small improvement over V2
Reinforced: Uses more armor than original
Ruined: Some pieces missing, others damaged

Teams:
Red team: Pirates, Ships look like rubble, lots of long sharp edges Ship names based on pirates
Blue team: Navy, Angular ships, Typicly broadside Ship names based on citys
Green team: Plague, Bulky rounded ships Ship names based on diseases
Grey team: Aliance, Trianglular shaped wings Ship names based on famous battles
Purple team: Alien, Odd smooth shapes. Ship names based on fictional alien species
Yellow team: Ancients, Old looking designs, Low tech but high armor Ship names based on ancient civilisations
Black team: Stalkers, Sleek ships Ship names based on words that mean 'theif'
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Re: A balanced set of ships (WIP)

Post by Doogie12 »

I see that you are quite new and with that, welcome to the forums.

Now to your ship...
it's decent and you've avoided plenty of newbie mistakes. However, this is in a stock style, and times have changed since then. I know your using the original color of the Aliens ingame, but you must realize a solid color pink ship might not be the best of colors. Your fake aegis doesn't seem to fit in with the ship too well. I see you have a slight mirroring error with your particle guns. The worst part is the beamers just seem to stick out.

It's not too shabby and shows quite a bit of potential. I suggest you get the new sprites and start developing your own style.
naysayers will be shot
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The pink colour scheme has way too much contrast, tone it down. The ship itself isn't too bad, the section placement is pretty good. But yes, some of the turrets seem to be mirrored incorrectly, and although you don't have to, but you should go for using the SWA-style sprites

Also, what's with the power-measuring system? More details please
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
alive916
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by alive916 »

yey I have a friends!!

First in your ship. I do not commend on color because it can be selected beautifully after that.
You should reduce the overlaying first. If it is a alien class I think the ship is a bit OK. But if it is not maybe you can add some wing sections on tour ship. I suggest you make more ship with a steamline shape. Add some sharp teeth can make it more "alien".

Also, find out some thread that have some wonderful design, the shading technique, and the tuning of the turrets. And you will know how to create a excellent playable ship.

Another suggestion is, after you create your ship series, you will know your limit of your computer performance. Then it is your time to rebuild your previous ships that can make it more beautiful and good-looking. Try to make each ship has its unique usage and its charateristic. And you will have the most fun in your battleships adventure!

Secondly, I think your class is too complicated. And finally you will not use all of your ships in the battle. I can share my classification for you.

Fighter class
Very small and weak armor. Just can be deployed by some ships.(use ship deployer)

Frigate class
Normal armored, have a especially unique usages.

Destroyer class
More sections, more HP. Balanced in speed and armor.

Battleship class
Have aegis deflector that should be destroyed tactically. Heavy weapon equipped.

Dreadnaught class
Shiny core that provides extra energy for defensive deflectors and destructive weapons. Speed depends on their features.

Stations/Bases class
Use as a checkpoint for the fleet that provide defensive fire power. Very high HP but cannot move.

Commander boss ships
A giant dreadnaught that have full turrets and a tactical protective aegis shields. Equals to about 3 dreadnaught's power.(always slow down my fps XD)
blaster395
Ensign
Ensign

Post by blaster395 »

A reply to many of your suggestions.
I am avoiding using anything other than stock parts to make it fit in with the existing ships as much as possible.
I am making small changes to the positioning of the objects on the ZX Grey, but not adding new components to it.
Not all teams will use the same classes, for example, the Plague team will be the only team to use Demeter platforms.

And now presenting the first Plague BattleCruiser, the HN Influenza
The pincers at the front move.

PS: If there is a solid version of them stock parts can anybody give me the link so that they look like 80% of the other ships I see here.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

... I can't really say anything good about this ship. All you have done is taken some section, strectched them horribly, then added turrets, and strectched them horribly as well. This may sound rude, but please try to put more effort into making your ships, or don't bother posting at all.
blaster395 wrote:I am avoiding using anything other than stock parts to make it fit in with the existing ships as much as possible.
...Why would you limit yourself like that? This is a custom ship fourm, you can make anything you want (as long it's of decent quality)

Edit: if you want to get the SWA-styled stock sections, look here.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
blaster395
Ensign
Ensign

Post by blaster395 »

Imaillusion wrote:... I can't really say anything good about this ship. All you have done is taken some section, strectched them horribly, then added turrets, and strectched them horribly as well. This may sound rude, but please try to put more effort into making your ships, or don't bother posting at all.
blaster395 wrote:I am avoiding using anything other than stock parts to make it fit in with the existing ships as much as possible.
...Why would you limit yourself like that? This is a custom ship fourm, you can make anything you want (as long it's of decent quality)

Edit: if you want to get the SWA-styled stock sections, look here.
The plague ship was an experiment in plague design, most of the ships I am making right now are experiments, I am quite sure I did not stretch the turrets... The demeter ones were reduced in size.

Also thanks for the SWA Stock, how about the other stock sections which came with it (The ones in different groups)
The original reason for the limitation was that I wanted to maintain maximum compatability for users who do not wish to have to download custom sections. With these I will be able to do that.

Needed: Kae_Alien
Kae_Detail
Kae_Generic
Kae_Misc
Kae_Small
Kae_Stock
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

He didn't stretch the weapons, just everything else...
I've got an idea for you: Try building a few of the actual stock ships first, then modifying them. Don't even touch the I or K keys, there is no need at the beginning level. Concentrate on as you say, making them like the existing(stock) ships. Even on that last ship, it would have been better to use 04s and such instead of the shrunken 22s. You can do better, and you will be happier when you turn out a worthwhile ship.
blaster395
Ensign
Ensign

Post by blaster395 »

I am currently working on renaming kae_WHATEVER SW version sprites to match the existing sprites, which, more or less, mods all the spaceships that come with the game and the ships I have already made to be SW'd. This still maintains compatibility but you will be able to have them more detailed if you want.
Another screenshot coming soon!
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

blaster395 wrote:I am currently working on renaming kae_WHATEVER SW version sprites to match the existing sprites, which, more or less, mods all the spaceships that come with the game and the ships I have already made to be SW'd. This still maintains compatibility but you will be able to have them more detailed if you want.
Another screenshot coming soon!
This is a horrible idea, you are a horrible person, and I am strongly tempted to delete this thread and also your face.

:? But I can't, because "ZOMG POWER ABUSE BY TEH MODS WHAWHAWHA :cry: "

grumblegrumbleillshowyoupowerabusemumblemumble
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.