Something Small And Random

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Something Small And Random

Post by Arcalane »

Code: Select all

[Mon 05] [05:57:23] <~Arcalane> six missiles (the white dots) and a beam~
[Mon 05] [06:00:13] <~Arcalane> sort of intended to be the lead section of a kind of snakeyship that 'evolves' and grows by absorbing/assimilating enemy vessels
[Mon 05] [06:03:03] <~Arcalane> the idea is it's from an isolated "faction" of machine ships that are low on resources, so in order for their new ships to prove their worth, they basically kick them out into the galaxy at large and tell 'em not to come back until they've developed sufficiently.
[Mon 05] [06:06:38] <~Arcalane> Of course the kicking out involves a one-way jump into a random system and they have no map to get home... but the parents monitor them from afar and then pick them up once they're all grown up, and have hopefully, conveniently found a number of potentially resource-rich areas for them to exploit later.

Attachments
MachineLarvae.zip
Place the contents of the folder inside Custom Sprites
(8.99 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Something Small And Random

Post by Anna »

This thing is finished, right? I really like it, and want a download. I could have all sorts of fun with this.

Also, people need to start posting in peoples goddamn threads more, otherwise people won't bother posting ships and everyone misses out and that would suck.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

Oh my, this is a nice little ship, I like the shape.

3 points needing improvement,
1) :? I read your ideal of a "snake" ship, but it does look more like a kind of "swarm" ship or a type of fighter/ anti-capital ship? IF and only IF you want to go with "snake" ideal, I might suggest a bit more "animal" looking parts. You got some kind of eyes, what about "teeth" and "scales" :P ?

2) The missile "pods" at the side currently seems to suggest that the missiles fires outwards not forwards as it is shown now.
They just don't scream "missiles come out here", looking more like just armor.

3) The engines could use a little work. Make it nice exhaust coming out of it and give it a bit more love! :lol: Make it look 3D more, with a touch more shadow.

Overall, I just like it. It has this "cute little ship" look to it.
:shock: Kind of reminds me of the Angelbreath ship. Small but VERY deadly. Especially with the heavy laser firing. :D

A general question
I am new to this, so forgive me ,but why is it so uncommon to see DLs for ships? I keep seeing extremely beautifully designed ships on the forums, but it is often just pictures... no actual ship to test out. Why?
Last edited by wingstorm on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

wingstorm wrote:1) :? I read your ideal of a "snake" ship, but it does look more like a kind of "swarm" ship or a type of fighter/ anti-capital ship? IF and only IF you want to go with "snake" ideal, I might suggest a bit more "animal" looking parts. You got some kind of eyes, what about "teeth" and "scales" :P ?
This is a silly, silly idea. Just because he wants it to be a long and snake-like ship, does not mean he wants it to look biological or animalistic.
2) The missile "pods" at the side currently seems to suggest that the missiles fires outwards not forwards as it is shown now.
I don't mind the fact that only really little white dots represent the launchers, but I do agree with wingstorm that it looks like the missiles should launch out to the side.
3) The engines could use a little work. Make it nice exhaust coming out of it and give it a bit more love! :lol: Make it look 3D more, with a touch more shadow.
Personally, I'd just make the engine sprite a bit dark. An exhaust would be nice too, yeah.

wingstorm, could you please for the love of god stop abusing smilies? Just because you can have five of them in a post, doesn't mean you have to. For Christ's sake, it's just ridiculous.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
wingstorm
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by wingstorm »

Sorry on the smilies, I do use them to help convey my thoughts. lol
Anna wrote:
wingstorm wrote:1) :? I read your ideal of a "snake" ship, but it does look more like a kind of "swarm" ship or a type of fighter/ anti-capital ship? IF and only IF you want to go with "snake" ideal, I might suggest a bit more "animal" looking parts. You got some kind of eyes, what about "teeth" and "scales" :P ?
This is a silly, silly idea. Just because he wants it to be a long and snake-like ship, does not mean he wants it to look biological or animalistic.
So on my first suggestion, I was thinking more animalistic, like on the line of those 2D fighter shooters, where the bosses have this mechanical look, but still looks like a bird, whale... etc. Not really biological in look, as in NOT a bio-ship or organic look, but something that "suggests" it look more like an animal.

For example, wing panels that suggest the ideal of feathers. Weapons that take the place of a mouth...etc

It does not need to be over done. Already there is a suggestion of eyes on the ship itself, notice the little light blue doodads? and the sweep forward wings already suggest a mouth and fangs.

I just feel that if you are going for a "snake" ship ideal, you could drum up the features already there more. Like make the eyes more prominent or something. Anyway... its just an ideal for you work with, Arcalane.
I am a user, a player, a gamer. I am the end user.. the one playing with your designs.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

wingstorm wrote:1) I read your ideal of a "snake" ship, but it does look more like a kind of "swarm" ship or a type of fighter/ anti-capital ship? IF and only IF you want to go with "snake" ideal, I might suggest a bit more "animal" looking parts. You got some kind of eyes, what about "teeth" and "scales"?
This is the larval form - what you see here is a fresh-off-the-factory-line child form. These things expand by absorbing debris from destroyed ships. Also, it's made by a race of machines. They have no need for such decorative concepts and attachments.
wingstorm wrote:2) The missile "pods" at the side currently seems to suggest that the missiles fires outwards not forwards as it is shown now.
That was a bug in how I was trying to make the missile launchers fire in a rippled sequence from front to back. I since removed the thing I was trying to do so they launch out to the sides "properly" now.
wingstorm wrote:3) The engines could use a little work. Make it nice exhaust coming out of it and give it a bit more love! Make it look 3D more, with a touch more shadow.
It does have an exhaust, but only when it's moving. In all the screenshots so far it's been immobile, so firing the thruster would be stupid.
wingstorm wrote:I am new to this, so forgive me ,but why is it so uncommon to see DLs for ships? I keep seeing extremely beautifully designed ships on the forums, but it is often just pictures... no actual ship to test out. Why?
I hadn't planned on releasing the larvae just yet, tbh. I didn't think anyone would even ask.

~~

Ed: Download is up. Make sure you have the beta builds with the Fusion Beam or it'll bug out on you.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

wingstorm wrote:I am new to this, so forgive me ,but why is it so uncommon to see DLs for ships? I keep seeing extremely beautifully designed ships on the forums, but it is often just pictures... no actual ship to test out. Why?
For one thing, people end up tinkering endlessly. Or they can't get something to work quite right, or they can't be bothered to go through the effort of uploading it, especially with the sprite folders messed up as they are.
I know what wingstorm is talking about with the old 2d worm type ships; I agree it looks better mechanical and we don't want a repeat of the organic sprites*shiver* I'd say its short and simple but it obviously had thought put into the design. I haven't been on to play with the newly coded stuff so I guess I'll have to get that first. I appreciate you guys putting out ships though, its been awhile!