Shock Ships: The Progen Second Generation Fleet

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Do the ships look better with or without the electric fins?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Shock Ships: The Progen Second Generation Fleet

Post by Blue-Rex »

Now that i have had spring break, I've been hard at work fixing a few problems I had. Now, for the next unveiled part of my fleet.
Backstory Soon!
The Fleet as it stands:
Aron Class Corvette:

Image Image
Designed around the powerful Photon energy cannon she carries, the Aron is a true capital killer. The new energy systems have given this bird just enough power to hold a few other weapons besides just her main cannon. Deadly on her own, she is nearly unstoppable in groups. Usually used to compliment a group.
Eari Class Corvette:

Image Image
Built for hit and run, the large wall of fire put out by this ship can bind up any point defense. Usually used in groups of 3-4, this ship is used for recon or patrols.
Emith Class Corvette:

Image Image
The smallest support craft available, the Emith carries dual EMP torp. launchers as her main weapon. Used in task forces to help contain large ships by disabling offensive and defensive power for a period of time.
Thes Class Frigate:

Image Image
The newest ship to roll off of the assembly lines, the Thes is the only ship in active service using the new broad-wing coolant system instead of the older multi-wing system. This coupled with the huge amount of Stabilized Cyanon it contains allows the Thes to hold a huge amount of firepower for its size.
Trieb Class Frigate:

Image Image
Mainly used for long distance bombardment, the Trieb holds more heavy firepower in place of its smaller close-range weaponry.
Leas Class Frigate:

Image Image
Although destroyer sized, the Leas is the last remaining ship of the Progen's first fleet. Through the years, time and time again, this ship has proven itself in battle. Through the last refitting, it's energy systems, shield and coolant systems, and its armor have been upgraded. This ship has been reclassified from a full assault role to a support-assault role. The healing pods are able to heal a fleet in record time, keeping ships in the field for much longer periods of time. Don't expect to see this ship disappear any time soon.
Vordath Class Destroyer:

The destroyer version of the Aron, the Vordath packs a much heavier punch in it's main cannon. After firing it's main weapon, the support weapons provide a wall of lead by which the Vordath can escape. Although unstoppable when faced from the front, if it is ever flanked, it is doomed.
Ackone Class Destroyer:

The heaviest of the Destroyer class ships, the Ackone is usually used for extended bombardment and can be used both alone, or in groups. This ship packs a heavy punch and can follow through with it's broadside afterward.
Rakris Class Destroyer:
Used in patrols or fast attacks, the Rakris doesn't deliver a huge hit, but in groups will be very deadly.
Etytan Class Destroyer:

Used in conjunction with the Rakris, the Etytan puts out a large amount of punishing fire. this ship is used to take out multiple smaller targets.
Last edited by Blue-Rex on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:51 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
Water_and_Wind
Captain
Captain

Post by Water_and_Wind »

Argh the colours. Pull out the good ol' colour wheel and desaturizer again?
Metagame 2.0 calculator: [url]http://bsf_meta2_calculator.byethost17.com/index.php[/url]
Curvy Alien Fleet: viewtopic.php?t=4959
Thrusallanian Naval Database: Patrol Craft to Behemoth, support ships, stations, warp gates, everything.
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... sc&start=0
Fleets of the Five States, get it here: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1929
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

Whats a color combination that u suggest, cuz thats just what came to mind. I think it looks ok, but I may be very very wrong.
"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, and that enables you to laugh at life's realities." --Dr. Seuss
Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grasmaaier »

change the blue into green, might work.
hazelwooder
Commander
Commander

Post by hazelwooder »

you could even change the blue to red that would work
[url=http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4816][img]http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8121/signatureav.jpg[/img][/url]
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The section usage for the ships, particularly the first too, really isn't well done. Work on mainly the middle sections, they probaly have let you down the most. The actual shape of all the ships is actually pretty good so leave that.

The colors are... random. I don't actually know what type of effect you are going for. Post the ships being animated, I want to see them properly.

The only other problem is that your naming choices for ships are bad. :P
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

hazelwooder wrote:you could even change the blue to red that would work
No no no. He's using enough "primary" colours as is.

What you want to do is use more complementary colours. Green and blue clash a bit, so try multiple shades of blue or green. But not blue and green.

~~
Imaillusion wrote:The only other problem is that your naming choices for ships are bad. :P
Swords as a naming theme are cliché, but I wouldn't call them bad per se. Just like birds, assorted groups of deities, cities, mountains, etc. etc. are probably a bit overdone... but eh, thinking up names can be hard, no? Besides, it beats resorting to the dreaded Punctuation Shaker solution.

What you should try and do is name the classes according to their role. For example, a Rapier could be a fast frigate for hit and run attacks, whilst a Broadsword might be a heavy-duty battleship.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

Ok, thanks for all the replies first off. Now, the reason blue and green were chosen was because I was thinking along the lines of a nation with blue as its national color, and they use radioactive materials to power their ships. They are impervious to radioactivity so they also use energy blades (the fan blade looking things) to absorb anti-matter from deep space, and to cool the engines. I think I'll go with a different shade of green, because the ship has to have the green. The names were chosen at random, and because I don't have much time to think of something on my own. Now, what do u mean, Imaillusion, by the section usage isn't very good? I'm not good at figuring this stuff out on my own, so any suggestions as to how to make it better would be appreciated. As soon as i get done with my music concert tonight, I will post a video clip of one of these ships in action.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Blue-Rex wrote:Now, what do u mean, Imaillusion, by the section usage isn't very good?
Some of the sections you're using simply don't suit the ship when placed in a particular way. See that first ship? How there are sections partly covering the blue orbs? I just... don't like how it is placed there, it looks out of place. Note, however, that it's only really a problem with the first two ships. The other two are actually really well done, even if the colours are a bit random.

I apologise if I didn't explain it well :?
Arcalane wrote:What you should try and do is name the classes according to their role. For example, a Rapier could be a fast frigate for hit and run attacks, whilst a Broadsword might be a heavy-duty battleship.
That's what I had in mind. Ship names should be related by the characteristics they have in common. Eg: small ships could have names like Stiletto, Switchblade, etc. Mid-sized ships would be named Scimitar, Falchion, etc. Big ships can have names like Claymore, Zweihänder, etc.
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

ok, I took your suggestions, and tried some new stuff out. I happened to find where I stored the kaelis mecha sprites, so I tried them on the saber. Here is what I did:
Deleted for space!
A color change with the Cutlass:
Deleted for space!
Someone also asked for a GIF, so i made this one with the original Saber:
Deleted for space!
This GIF is a lot faster than the actual thing, but I couldn't get it to slow down. The Cutlass is next to be rebuilt. C&C Welcome still.
Last edited by Blue-Rex on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Decent usage of TSA, but the addition of teal to the blue and green is too much. The thunderbolts seem uninspired in their placement.

And come up with your own names :P .
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Impwarior
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by Impwarior »

i think the blue left on the saber is the cockpit/comand center of the ship.
i really like these ships. :)
[img]http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/impwarior/SMscreen013.png[/img][img]http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab332/impwarior/SMscreen014.png[/img]
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

Im glad you noticed that. I actually decided to leave that part blue because it did look like a command center. Now, back to the change in color. I swapped out the colors, but I couldn't decide. Please tell me which color combo looks best.
combo 1: green and red
deleted for space!
combo 2: green and yellow
deleted for space!
combo 3: green and orange
deleted for space!
combo 4: green and violet
deleted for space!
combo 5: green and light blue
deleted for space!
combo 6: green and navy blue
deleted for space!

Also, I redid the Cutlass and this is what the version 2 looks like.
deleted for space!
C&C Welcomed. Something about the new Cutlass bugs me, but I can't place my finger on it.
Last edited by Blue-Rex on Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

*looks up at the colour choices...

To be perfectly honest, pretty much all of the colour choices aren't really that good, they clash too much with each other. Good colour choices compliment each other (as in, one colour makes the other look better, and vice vesa)

But if I had to choose, I'd go for green and light blue
Blue-Rex
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Blue-Rex »

I agree. The reason I put them up was because I thought it may just be me. I decided to change the green too, and reworked the Saber again. Since it is my principle ship, I need to have it right before I move on. Here is a GIF of the newest style. How about this?