AD's Random Contraptions

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AD's Random Contraptions

Post by ArcaneDude »

Since my short attention span is obviously incapable of motivating itself to hold on a little longer to my AHE project I've decided to stick to individual designs for now.

For starters, here's something I cobbled up in the past few minutes.

Any thoughts?
Attachments
For lack of a better name I'll just call it Rufus for now.
For lack of a better name I'll just call it Rufus for now.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: AD's Random Contraptions

Post by Anna »

I've gotta say, I'm not really impressed. At all. It's pretty bad, to be completely honest, especially since I know that you can do a lot better. The outer shape isn't too bad, even though it is a but unusual, but the internal structuring is horribly messy in places. The whole thing seems kinda blurry, too.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

It's also a bit dark to look at, it may be my monitor settings but I don't know. The ship actually looks back to front, because the red glow on the right looks kinda like a thruster, and the shape looks swept forwards.
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Well it isn't too bad. Some gray parts are a bit messy though. Especially near the the um.. wings or side-bits.
If you added some cooler depthing and better colors, you could make this thing pretty awesome.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Nothing really matters because I forgot to save it when I formatted my hard-drive...oh well. Time for something else.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

First post in a long time, with a new ship. Called the Simile for now, I'll most likely add doodads 'n stuff after I get some comments. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Took out the dreadful colorscheme, changed the sections here and there and got rid of the turret mounts. I still have to figure out a color palette, and apparently deal with some bad section work.
Took out the dreadful colorscheme, changed the sections here and there and got rid of the turret mounts. I still have to figure out a color palette, and apparently deal with some bad section work.
Simile1.png
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Brighten the struts. I can only see them if I squint, and then it seems like the nacelles are floating.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Anna

Post by Anna »

Skull13 is correct about the struts. Otherwise, it's not bad. You seem to still be stuck slightly in the stock sections mentality, as the technique you're using doesn't work too well with metasections. There are a few areas where the depthing/shading could use a bit of work, but over all it's fairly solidly "decent".
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

I guess I'll always be stuck in that mentality, somehow I can't seem to force my mind into liking anything I've built that doesn't fit your description. Oh well, keep trying is all I can do. For the struts, they've been lightened up now. I'll post another screenie as soon as I figure out what to do for doodading and such. Otherwise, thanks for the comment.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I guess I'll always be stuck in that mentality, somehow I can't seem to force my mind into liking anything I've built that doesn't fit your description. Oh well, keep trying is all I can do.
Practice does make perfect, after all. Keep practising and eventually you'll get there!
For the struts, they've been lightened up now. I'll post another screenie as soon as I figure out what to do for doodading and such. Otherwise, thanks for the comment.
You're welcome. I figure the best way to get people to start being more active and responding to other peoples threads is for me to do the same, and honestly, you deserve more feedback, especially if it will encourage you. You're a good shipbuilder, and I want to see you make beautiful stuff again like you used to.

If I may make a suggestion, I believe this current ship could benefit from having the rear central portion expanded back, and maybe some engines added. I'd try using some of the more detailed bits in HorseMonster's "HorseMonster_Realistic" and "HorseMonster_Rocketbits" section packs.
Quality Control Enforcer
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Your timing is impeccable. I'll implement your suggestions in this version; as you see I've lightened the struts and tried to give it a decent colorscheme. Not exactly original, but it's a proven set of colors.
Attachments
Simile 1.png
Anna

Post by Anna »

The problem with that is that, really, bright, highly saturated colours like that look a bit too striking and kinda... glare, when used with SWA sections. They're definitely nice colours, and the colourscheme works well for the ship, but perhaps something a bit more... faded? Less saturation would help quite a bit, I think. Make the colours look more natural. I like the engine bits you've added so far.

Perhaps some engine/detaily bits coming out of the rear portion of the wings too? They have the right shape for it. Kinda looks like they should have some mechanical enginey-bits sticking out of them.
Quality Control Enforcer