Grasmaaier's Sentinel Ships.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Grasmaaier's Sentinel Ships.

Post by Grasmaaier »

HUZZAH!!

Last edited by Grasmaaier on Tue May 11, 2010 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Re: Return from a long while.

Post by 25000st »

Yay you're back!
The yellow has too much blue in it. Lower that and you've got a good color-scheme.
The ship is also feeling cluttered and kinda flat. Not completely digging the concept but that's probably just me.

The way you've done the exhausts remind me of something.
fatrat600284
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Return from a long while.

Post by fatrat600284 »

Woot you're back! Overall the ship is nice. But... there is something about it that bothers me. I can not really put my finger on it.

Maybe it's the things sticking out from the sides of the ship the that seam to kill the flow. In my opinion.
Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Grasmaaier's Sentinel Ships.

Post by Grasmaaier »

Hey guys, removed my fugly start and added the recent ones i call "The Sentinel" fleet.

Largest one is called "The Hunter Hunted"
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

These ships look really nice, liking the shapes and colouring. Probaly the only problems really are that with the big ship, the twin white glows near the centre don't really suit the surrounding sections, and the sections pointing out the back could use some colour as well.

There are also some lightning arcs on the big ship. I'm guessing they're animated?
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

These ships lack rhythm IMO. Great concepts but yeah. These ships also feel really flat.
I'm loving your doodading though!
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

25000st wrote:These ships lack rhythm IMO.
Rhythm? Really? Next you'll be telling me they lack a bassline or need more guitars.
25000st wrote:Great concepts but yeah. These ships also feel really flat.
"but yeah" doesn't get anything across. So Yeah... doesn't work when we have no idea wtf you're on about.

My only complaint right now is that they look like they should have more in the way of engines. The big guy especially.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

*Facepalm*
I should have known you wouldn't have gotten it as this isn't PR or anything. Just ignore what I said but remember rhythm doesn't always refer to 'sound'.

As for the 'so yeah..' thing, basically, I like the concepts but not really how the ships have been executed. It's actually rather obvious. :roll:
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

25000st wrote:*Facepalm*Just ignore what I said but remember rhythm doesn't always refer to 'sound'.
It refers to something that is reapeted in a predictable way.
Kinda like noobs, they always turn op with something in old sections, then you come over and start talking about flow, and stuff gets worse.
Except for TSA and some others, they just started of great

Anyway ontopic: I really like the first and third one, the second has potential but has some minor flaws. I think the part I like the least is the tiny bulge in the wings, just past the tip, it distracts from the ship.
Arca is right about the engines though, maybe in the wings?
First one has this real mean look going on, can't explain it any better.
And I really love how they all seam so, combat ready and armed to the teeth.

Lightning is a major tesla I presume?
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Expanding on Arc's assessment of your ships' engine design:

Frigate: Engines look spindly and stick out too much. I mean ,they're already situated inside (what I assume to be) protective outcroppings, so why are they extended so far back?

Destroyer: One engine of the same size. Whereas the frigate had two. Hmm.

Big mofo: Engines look unsubstantial.

Now, for all your ships I see very good use of section work, gun placement and doodads.

You mentioned that you didn't feel too good about the sparse light green on gray colour-scheme? I think its fine, but if you must change it, start with changing the green to another signature colour or having a secondary colour picked out for a few sections to complement the green, and then do both if you feel more is warranted.

25000st:

When you throw around crazy terms like 'Rhythm', you should at least have the courtesy to explain what you mean. Don't *facepalm* when people have difficulty trying to make sense of what you said when you use ambiquous words to describe something that has never been (to my knowledged) attributed in such a manner. Hell, you didn't even have the politeness to clarify what you meant after Arc pointed out the disparity between 'Rhythm' and ship design. Did you mean flow?

As for So Yeah, which you see Anna use all the time, which "is basically a half-assed way of explaining the Self Explanatory", what you have done right there is tantamount to saying:
Great concepts but that needs no further explanation. These ships also feel really flat.
What? How is 'great concept' explained by 'feeling really flat'?

You're right though, these ships don't really exhibit highly effective use of depthing. Which may or may not be alleviated when Grasmaaier decides to do some colouring/shading.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

@Maarten: I have not seen an example of myself talking about flow then suddenly stuff getting worse.
@Squishy: No rhythm doesn't equal flow. The ships basically go from one style to a different style as you go from front to back. Rest will be done via PM.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

25000st wrote:@Squishy: No rhythm doesn't equal flow. The ships basically go from one style to a different style as you go from front to back. Rest will be done via PM.
So say that instead of calling it 'rhythm' and expecting people to know what the fuck you're on about. You're just coming across as a pretentious twit.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Enough talk about 25000st, guys (that includes you too, 25000st). Back to the topic.

Ship feedback:
The two smaller ships are mostly okay. The main problem is that theyre too busy (ie. detail), like most of your ships, really. The could use some less detailed areas/sections and perhaps more contrast in depthing.
The big one is simply a case of 'too much'. Im afraid that this kind of style just doesn't work with big ships - too much visual noise, at this size the detail and section choice starts looking random and its hard to spot what kind of structure you wanted to achieve. Basically, except for the bits sticking out, its one big shape filled with detail.