Another newb with ships

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Another newb with ships

Post by calvin1211 »

Hello. I've been lurking for quite a while, and made some ships.
Some metagame 2 balanced carrier.
A smaller ship based off vulcan guns.
Me playing around with the DST-ori sections.

And now. some older ships for metagame 1 standards.
A cruiser-sized assault carrier with long-range weaponry.
A larger battlecruiser. Also an assault carrier.

Please give comments and criticism.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Another newb with ships

Post by Preacher »

Hi welcome to the forums :)
You show a good level of skill on these ships, that said i have a few nitpicks:
1st ship:
The colouring on the middle two sections is more pastel rather than lighter I know your trying to create depth but it hasn't worked there, good section usage but I'm not sure about combining all of the Kae sprite packs, you have almost made it work here but not quite some parts look messy. Other than the core showing (which is just a personal dislike) and the orange blaster at the front its quite a nice ship.
2nd ship:
I love the side pods on this ship really good use of mecha sprites, and then its got this dark stock sw section in the middle which ruins the flow, i also feel the big blocks of green break up the flow. the large circular piece at the rear could be replaced with a different sprite, other than that i really like it.
3rd ship:
Clutter, clutter, more clutter and then i saw a ship! Its not bad could be better don't really like the back at all or the gap at the front, it feels like it could be stretched out to create a pointier ship (which from the current evidence is your forte) and you should download some groovy exhaust sprites or something to make it look a bit prettier (although I'm sure you have thruster ex modules on it if your metagame balancing.)
4th ship:
Apart from the middle area behind the bridge, the two green generic sections (which I would love to see replaced), and the over saturation of the blue from the hangars, this is a good ship, it has a very smooth shape but I'm not sure about the edges of the wings I feel they could be smoother. all in all nice :)
5th ship:
The engine pods are nice the rest of it makes me hurl, lets be honest its a hammerhead shark with a massive hexagon in the middle and an ass that looks like it got bitten by a rabid squirrel. I just don't like this but its your ship so no worries.

If you don't like anything I've said no worries, I don't either. And your entitled to your own opinion etc etc etc.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

#1, M2 carrier; I should point out that Meta2 does not support carriers, unless you mean it uses drones extensively, which I see it does to some extent.

#4, M1 Cruiser/Assault carrier; the engines are not engine-y. The sides are too flat and need more small details to break up the flat line.

#5, M1 Battlecruiser/Assault carrier; the side pods are very poorly supported and very badly constructed, and the engines are pathetic for a ship of it's size. Overall it looks like a bad rendition of the Terran Battlecruiser from Starcraft.

Overall; You definitely need to stop using big sections so much, and put more thought into what you're doing. You should also look into using colour shading/depthing (sections that are low down are darker, whilst higher sections are lighter) and obscuring the core dot - it's kinda ugly and stands out too much.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Something new that I will be focusing more on for now.

Edit:
Small gunship. Thoughts?
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The section work is okay but both of the ships in general look kinda generic. If you add some doodads, and with the first ship, change which sections are colored green and which are not, they will both look better. At the moment they don't really have any features that make them apealling or interesting
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Imaillusion wrote:The section work is okay but both of the ships in general look kinda generic. If you add some doodads, and with the first ship, change which sections are colored green and which are not, they will both look better. At the moment they don't really have any features that make them apealling or interesting
To be honest give the guy some credit much better than previous ships even if it is down the same vein, however i agree with the doodads bit they make ships look nice and ad detail and features, i think the first ship is nice and you should continue working on it although i think the front would look nicer if it was remodelled to make it less boat like.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

How's this for a start? Apologies for the lack of a GIF, it was quite late when I made this.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Maybe you should use that blue instead of the green i think that would look alot better for starters that green is too saturated for me, but other than that i quite like it i still think the front needs slimming down though.

Ah and the two topmost sprites i think their Kae_gnr in the middle near the front they stick out like a sore thumb might want to try something else there

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

The green is fine. Cyan does not go well with green. I would try using red.
This ship doesn't have a well-defined hull shape that I can see. Especially in the middle. This also makes your depth feel weird.
I like the gunship though.
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

25000st wrote:Cyan does not go well with green.
Bull shit, it look like some sort of power current. Except the rearmost 2 cian thingies, they do look bad.

But the centre of the ship does indeed look a bit strange when you start looking at it.
And those wings, the wings look awefull, those section pointing outward just don't fit in with the rest of the ship.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

I think it would look worse without the wings although they do need to be blended in with other sections on top of them, and I think all the green sections in cian would look better or at least a different green

calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

computer crash blarg
More glowy doodads.
I think I overdid it. (Apologies for the crappy excuse of a gif.)
Preacher wrote:Ah and the two topmost sprites i think their Kae_gnr in the middle near the front they stick out like a sore thumb might want to try something else there
Which part? is it this?Image
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Some of the sections, particularly around the wings, look badly placed, they don't connect or blend together well. I also don't like how there are holes in the sides, I know what you're trying to do, but it wasn't implemented well for this ship.

On the upside, the section work along the centre is pretty good, and the doodads are a bit generic, but they look nice
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
calvin1211
Commodore
Commodore

Post by calvin1211 »

Three little experiments with the Kae-aln sections.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

The Kae-Aln ships are... meh, honestly. I'm not fond of the style. Shitloads of incoherent curves and spikes are a no-no in my books, so try not to use them on their own.

The Terran-looking ship is decent stuff. Lovin' those doodads. The wings, the rear and the prow aren't very well constructed, however. The prow in particular could be a little less triangular. As Imaillusion said, though, the sectionwork around the center is pretty good.