Some Randoms

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Raul
Captain
Captain

Some Randoms

Post by Raul »

Alright well I can't find the picture but for anyone that was in the third beauty pagent, you remember the travesty I turned in as a fanship battlestar. This is an effort to make up for that but its still a work in progreess so be gentle!

This is an early construction shot, using this as a referance picture to build on. All credit to Canis for referance picture, though ship is property of bsg franchise.
*REMOVED PENDING PERMISSION*

Finally finished the basic body. i wanted to get the shaep done first so its pretty rough and ill replace alot of parts to pretty it up. The engines for example suck pretty bad.

Needless to say I took libertys with the design like the guns i never liked in battlestar. Totatlly unshaded and I need advice on anythign that looks really bad. topped out at five hundred something threat and so far has bout 360 sections. Runs good though!
Last edited by Raul on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SASKIA
TEMP-BANNED

Post by SASKIA »

it looks good especially with the colours and depthing
good job
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Actually, it's the color and depthing that could use some work. The detail is pretty nice.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Are you sure you don't mean "Valkyrie"?

Also, lighten it up a bit so the depthing is more apparent (if its actually there)
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

First, let me point out a major flaw in your design:

nice job on not asking permission dude, you know that Canis could kick your but for doing that, something similar with people assuming they could just use the designs as they wish nearly ended up in the place getting shut down.

you've hammered down the shape, now try to focus on getting the section count down, and use some less conflicting sections, and i personally think you've made it too thick, try using less bulky sections, and please o please remove the guns, its a light carrier for gods sakes, not a full blown warship like the battlestar galactica, though it carries the same viper compliment.

EDIT: Give me some time to grab and compile some info, i'll pm it or post it here, and OVERREACTION, for crying out loud, I tried to prevent Canis from getting mad by this, and possibly some of the moderators here, and i know the Valkyrie is canon, its just that the picture was drawn by Canis, and as such, you'll need his permission to use it.
Fair use of drawings: If you want to use part of someone else's drawing as part of your own, ask permission and give them credit on the final drawing. Tiny bits like weapon turrets are the exception unless someone says otherwise. If in doubt, ask. In return I ask everyone who does post a drawing here to PLEASE put your name and contact info on it! If you want to use a drawing as the basis for a project in another medium like a 3D computer model, or a physical model you MUST ask permission of the original creator.
An additional note: I give blanket permission to use parts of my drawings for your own use so long as credit is given. When it comes to 3D models, etc... please ask. While it has been a pleasant surprise to find my ships converted into 3D models I would really like to know about it before-hand.
both extracted from http://www.phpbbplanet.com/shipyard/vie ... yard#41845

SECOND EDIT: http://www.phpbbplanet.com/shipyard/vie ... m=shipyard look in this thread at the shipyard, though most of it is speculation it makes sense. This picture will probably explain why i think of it as a light carrier http://s566.photobucket.com/albums/ss10 ... actica.png scaling is also important, those big guns might look big on the Valkyrie, but could easily be considered light or ultra light on the Galactica, because it uses bigger guns, which probably pack a lot more punch.

ANYHOW, you got your permission, so lets stop our little rant.
Last edited by AlphaDetisMegas on Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

@Saskia, 25000st, and Droid: Thanks! No, haven't shaded or colored it at all. And yea your right about the spelling.

@AlphaDetisMegas: Ok your an idiot. The ship is cannon to the series and there are plenty of pictures of it. I used that as the primary referance since its hard to find a top down shot from the series, but i didn't copy shit. Aside from the shape which is cannon, what aspect of the design's internals is even similar to his? For that matter how is his design different(in basic shape and layout) from the timeslip schematics he drew it from?So ya I got mad respect for him and will definitly let him know the manner in which I used it and will take down the referance shot pending his permission but don't for a second think him or you or anyone can do shit to me, or that i care what you think.

What you said about the design: for one i said i changed the guns, and two where are you getting the idea that its a light carrier? That I would be genuinly interested to know...I do agree i need to change some sections though cuz i really rushed through parts of it.
*edit* For that matter, Canisd's design has 14 big guns and 25 smaller turrets. Mine has 16. Galactica has like 25, so the Valkyrie isnt that lightly armed :roll:
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Did very basic shading job. still trying to get section count down but I've reduced it by thirty already. Willing to swap out those big guns, maybe for a smaller caliber, but anyone got idea s for which weapons sprite to use? Anyway, worked on the flak field and am pretty pleased with it, though sometimes it seems to loose coherency.

Biggest part i'll probably redo is the alligater head. may need to scrap it entirely cuz the sextion work sucks! Also the rear pylon strut is wrong and im starting to disliek the split nose. opinions?
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Possible gunstar.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Short and sweet. I think this is your perfect size.

A bit thin around the engines, but no problems with anything else. Give it a color scheme :P .
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Thanks Lactose, i'll work on it. In the meantime, Colonial Defense Cruiser?
Not really happy with the sections i had to use, but the overall look is what i want. Theres a bit of stretching ill correct if i can find more appropriate sprites. thoughts?
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

sectionwork is sloppy, but then again, you stated that,shape is perfect.
Btw Raul, i think it would be appropriate to edit the first post and include the other pics again, since Canis gave permission.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Thanks!
Did some work on it, now with less stretching and hopefully better sectionwork! Do you think its too heavily armed? i was assuming its a moniter type vessel mounting the one heavy KEW, two medium KEWs, and a few anti fighter weapons, plus torpedos. I have no idea what its normally armed with. Also should I keep those fins in the front, move them back to the rear, or get rid of them all together?
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Nothing? All right, well how bout a basestar based on theHades class? granted i had to improvise a little and im gonna try to switch it up so the big kews aren't right over the landing bays.

Granted the size is all wrong compared to the battlestar, but lets call this an early version from the first war when the cylons has fewer resources. I'll probably build a more massive and modern style basestar later. Closest thing to a referance picture i could find was the gif here: http://www.tecr.com/galactica/capships/basestar.htm

Any comments? advice? what should i build next?
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Your basestar looks pretty good. Just a bit bland I guess. Lacks... something. Maybe it's because it's just a circle. The detail work is pretty good just a bit too detailed for me but that's just taste. ;)
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

25000st wrote:Lacks... something. Maybe it's because it's just a circle.
Ralph McQuarrie would be hurt :lol:
I agree, and the original was actually more octagonal I think. In anycase I'm dubbing this the Persephone class, a much smaller cruiser version of the Hades class. This should not to be confused with the TARTARUS class. The top and bottom now rotate seperatly from eachother per the reactionless drives of the original series. Experiementing with a thruster in the middle of the ship with a large glowy sprite so the whole ship glows when it moves. Per Razor flashbacks, its point defenses will be the missiles. The more modern base star will be more interesting I think, though much harder.