Xav's Ships

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Xavious
Ensign
Ensign

Xav's Ships

Post by Xavious »

Got this game a few days ago and after downloading all the latest sections and whatnot I spent a few hours making some ships.

-A carrier type ship.

Image Image
-The standard fighter that the carrier deploys. Small, agile and extremely fragile, these fighters sport 2 auto-cannons and small yield energy torpedoes.

-A dreadnaught that fires a giant laser from the front ( Original, I know <.<).

Haven't actually came up with any names for them, but tell me what you guys think.
Last edited by Xavious on Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Xav's Ships

Post by Preacher »

Welcome to the forums! overall nice ships you show great control of the shipmaker for a couple of days. i like the carrier but im not sure about the colour or usage of the thruster flares, and the dreadnought is very nice but in places a few of the sections seem stretched and im not sure about the depthing because im not sure how its supposed to be depthed. Also the fake aegis on the glowy core thingy is... oh shit poor brain day someone tell me the word.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
th15
Administrator

Post by th15 »

Those are some excellent ships. I think they can be improved a little bit by added engine flares and some running lights (with doodads). You might even get runway lights on the runways.
Sean 'th15' Chan
[img]http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6344/bfbanner2vy5.gif[/img]
Altahir
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Altahir »

The first ship looks good, but the engines need to be changed, those exausts not look good.
And... the second this looks very fragile for a dreadnaught...
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

the first ship. the shape and design is good. the depthing however is dodgy (to the sides of the runway especially) and the yellow glows on the runways really don't work for me.

the second one. well, it's a mess, imo it has no flow and no coherency in the design.

and for the fake aegis effects please dial up the blur and spread so they don't look like sections, and lower the alpha so they're glows and not glowing sections
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Stretch plus section+fake aegis doesn't make the best engine glows. Tbh, I'm not liking the first ship. You have some decent section usage in places but the ship doesn't feel coherent. The shape is also not extremely attractive. Depthing is also strange in some places.
The second ship is IMO too long but whatever. The concept of it is pretty nice and you've got some good section usage going on. Some blue parts feel too dark but that can be considered taste. The fake aegis is really obnoxious so I'd remove it. These also remind me of the Kural Raiders (or however you spell it).
Xavious
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Xavious »

Took a few hours for breakfast then came back and made the fighters and look at the comments for some ideas for improvements on my designs.
th15 wrote:Those are some excellent ships. I think they can be improved a little bit by added engine flares and some running lights (with doodads). You might even get runway lights on the runways.
I tried to use some exhaust sprites I downloaded, but I can never get them to look right. They always end up with a giant gray block to one side or looking very faded and not very exhaust-y like. :|
25000st wrote:The second ship is IMO too long but whatever. The concept of it is pretty nice and you've got some good section usage going on. Some blue parts feel too dark but that can be considered taste. The fake aegis is really obnoxious so I'd remove it. These also remind me of the Kural Raiders (or however you spell it).
I actually want to re-do that particular ship, I liked the shape of it but I couldn't really develop it right. So once I get a better feel of the shipmaker, it'll make a reappearance looking bigger and better. And I really wanted the ship to have it feel like it's about to shoot a giant laser at your face, and the "energy core" thingy seemed the best way to do it. Maybe after some refining I'll be able to pull it off.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

For first ships, these are rather good. Still, even for veterans, there is always room for improvement. For once, I think the carrier's nose is far too thin, or those holes are too large. The last battleship has too thin a spine and too thick of spikes. Slightly incoherent and some touch on the aegis should do the job.

Again, welcome to BSF.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858