Blackhart's random contraptions

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Blackhart's random contraptions

Post by Blackhart »

After seeing the slew of returning ship builders and such, I have decided to once again to return to the ship building business.

So yeah... Here is my new ship.

Nothing too fancy or large, just something small and simple.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Re: Blackhart's random contraptions

Post by Kiltric »

very good execution. The shape and sections are excellent. One nitpick would be the "center" section seeming a bit flat. Good to see you back.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

You are truly becoming the master of section usage. Depthing is great. I wasn't really able to find a focal for awhile though. Also, the flow is kinda messed up IMO.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

great section usage not to sure about the colour though, just the green really doesn't work for me personally. However its a nice looking ship.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Back with another ship.

It's basically the same ship with an extended front and back. I'm not really happy about the way the engines turned out, but I sort of like the front half allot better.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

I think the reason why the engine doesn't look good is because those two curved sections that stick out on each side of the back of the ship look out of place when compared to the rest of the ship

Like the front though, with all the little minute details it has, and all the sections fit together so well
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Flow is chopped in the middle. You're exhibiting some good section usage though. Also, the light green round things are bothering me.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Made a few improvements to the engines of my latest ship. The flow is still a bit choppy, but I like the new engines allot better.

I also tried making a larger ship, but failed miserably... So I made a smaller, and more "basic" ship instead.

Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Are you sure you want to stick with the six half-arches on the first ship?

I'm asking this because I find it awkward when the back and front pairs extend vertically from the centerline, while the middle pair is at a 45 degree angle backsweep.
Realism, seriously? It's a space ship game. Realism was thrown out the window a long time ago.
STARSTRUCK

Post by STARSTRUCK »

The lavender ship is a sublime little number. Small yet meticulously crafted, with a shape that is eccentric yet aesthetically delectable in its juxtaposition of feminine curves and acute angles, and a color scheme that simply radiates elegance. And then the minimalistic arrangement of green doodads up front just brings the whole thing together like the feral smell of sulfur does to the delicate tastes of a German white wine from 1962.

...I'm probably overanalyzing it, but it does look good.
Blackhart wrote:I also tried making a larger ship, but failed miserably...
Speaking from my meager experience, I think that happens when you start getting too careful with your section placement. Let yourself go a bit and try to focus more on the greater form, and you can probably end up with a good moderately-sized ship. Though of course, large numbers of sections aren't really needed to bring out a ship's best nowadays. Smaller and more finely built ships are possible with our highly detailed custom sections.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

I feel that most of the complexity is lost going from the front/back of the ship to the center. The front is quite complex and "heavy" and is matched by the back. Yet when moving towards the center, the ship seems to "sink" downwards towards the core, then "rises".
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

the only problem i have with these ships is the core section in the middle it looks flat compared to the rest of the ship, but draws attention to itself as a focal point even though its not a point of much aesthetic interest, the rest of the ships are superb though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Blackhart
Captain
Captain

Post by Blackhart »

Guess what? New ships!

Random Gold Glowy Ship Alpha

These next two I sort of built for fun.

So yeah, not really much to say about them...
Any thoughts?
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Now thats lovely, all three of them. Great use of color and glows, masterful section work, and overall balanced looks.

Random Gold Glowy Ship Alpha needs some different 'appendages' at the front, they are too blunt compared to the rest, which is curvy and spiky.

The blue ones are nearly flawless. On the smaller one, that ridge between main structure and front 'wings' is a bit too sharp/simple, could use some lighter parts in between, perhaps more jagged edges. On the bigger one, the contraction/gap between the engine part and the rest is a bit too visible, and perhaps the general form of then engine is too bulky or bricky. I also dislike those diamond sections in the center; i do realize they fit the general form, but their flatness bothers me, and i think theyre overused.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

As was said, the bottom two ships are masterful. Mostly the angled front appendages and the depthed connectors that do it for me. All I really have to say is that while I know it goes against tradition, could you make a section that fits together with bls_sec01? Like something that sits on top within the inner outline to give it a sense of height or complexity? Not to ruin the details already there but maybe something that allows glow through like TSA_Ura067 does. I would like to get ahold of some of those newer parts though if their yours. Very nicely done; these will be fun to play with if you release them.