newb alert want advise for ship :)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Re: newb alert want advise for ship :)

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The carrier's guns seem out of porportion, gunwales or depthing them can be a good fix. Some overlap on the two topmost sprites. The teal rectangles don't add much to the "carrier" look. If you were going for a landing deck, try applying some smoother sprites over the top of it.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

I haven't posted here for a REALLY long time, so i hope im not necroing or anything. Anyway, i decided to just make a new ship anyway, because the old ones seemed a little bad. Any comments + criticism?
Attachments
Some random ship i made. This time i tried to make the general shape look good, but i don't think its good.
Some random ship i made. This time i tried to make the general shape look good, but i don't think its good.
HorseMonster
Commander
Commander

Post by HorseMonster »

I like the front, the front is pretty good, it also connects to the back quite well. The back end of the ship itself could use a reworking though, starting with those two large curved sections on either side.
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Ok thanks, do you think i should change the curved ones to more blockier ones (like at the front) to fit in?

EDIT: Fixed the curved parts with the same stuff i used at the front. I zoomed in a bit so its easier to see. Do you think the section holding the 3 white guns is a bit sort of "strapped on" instead of actually being part of the ship? Because i don't really know what to replace it with.
Attachments
SMscreen07.JPG
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Would something like this help?
So the guns look like their sticking out of the ports like so rather than that part being tacked on?
Personally I dislike the way that piece blends with the rest of the ship but it does look cool to have the barrels sticking out.

Also, whats up with the random section 24?
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Yeah, probably something like that. I was trying to make it look like they're sticking out of ports, as you've said :)

You mean the section that SEEMS to have depthing problems? Its just that i was selecting it while taking the screenshot... lol. XD

Thanks
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

The half-hex looks horribly out of place man, scrap it entirely. It's a nice effect to aim for but in this case it just won't work with the section you've used, which stands out way too much compared to the rest of the ship.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Thanks. i've just taken out the half hexagon thingy now. I didnt really know what to add to fill in the space, so i just made an extended "bridge". Comments, criticisms and ideas? I really have ran out of ideas now...

EDIT: Damn, something on my comp. corrupted the file... Oh well, i'll just have to rely on these pictures to rebuilt the ship... :(
Attachments
SMscreen09.JPG
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Ok, i just rebuilt the ship. It's mostly the same, but the back is a little different (a little more blocky). So, any comments + criticism?
Attachments
SMscreen10.JPG
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

I do like the way you put the ship together but... it's a bit generic, I'm afraid. Not saying that that's bad, but what you should be aiming for now is to make your ship look unique, as in set it apart from other ships.

You probaly don't understand what I'm trying to say, but what you need to do now is modify you're ship/s to the point where they looks so awsome that people will have to spend time to say how great they are

Good luck with that, I suppose :wink:
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Well, i didn't really know what to do... So, i just decided to add some doodads to it, and hope for the best.

Any comments + criticism + ideas?
Attachments
SMscreen00.png
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

eh, too colory and too many. try to go with a single color doodad, and don't go overboard with them.
i say just get rid of the ones along the midsection, and reduce the number of the ones on the sides.
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

"Too coloury"? "Too many"? Please ignore Da_Dooley, since he has no friggin' idea what he's talking about. Even with all those doodads it still looks flat and grey. You did do it wrong, though. The best way to use doodads such as that is to have them set in the "grooves" in sections, so that they actually look like they belong there. Also, are they animated? If not, you're definitely doing it wrong. Non-animated doodads should not be scattered randomly all over the place in different colours. That's like tossing confetti all over your ship. It's silly.

Best thing to do, is have them be DooBlinkFader doodads, and alter the start index for them so you get blinking patterns. (Starting index goes from 0 to 1, don't set it any higher than that or it won't work)

Here's an example that uses the methods I suggested:
You can also make them additive to make them blend more (this will also make them brighter and look more glowy), alter the animation speed, etc. And you can resize doodads and finely place them by pressing "end" (to turn on fine moving and rotating) and then Shift + Arrowkey them into place, that way they can fit notches on sections that lack appropriately sized ones. Make sure to double-check them after mirroring. Some doodads don't mirror properly, especially if you resize them, and you may have to nudge the ones on the other side back into place.

I hope you find this helpful, and I hope you listen to this advice.so help me you better listen...
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Ok thanks, i'll try that out. It's like i can finally see the light...

P.S. Going to edit this post once i've changed it.