A learning experience. Kaze.

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rockjaw
Ensign
Ensign

A learning experience. Kaze.

Post by Rockjaw »

Well I've watched the boards for a while. Not it's time to see if I'm any good at this.
I'm aware that some of you hate repetition. I expect that you will be mentioning this at some point soon....probably very soon.

At this point I'm not yet going to try making up a long involved shipyard "salesman" set of specs. It's not really one of my strengths ;)

I also tend to limit myself. My hull strength almost never exceeds 1000 and I don't think you'll see any deflectors on any of my designs. (unless I upload something that's really really old.) Weapons also tend to deal moderate damage...no 9ball weps for me. (or anything remotely close.)

So here they are.

Thanks for lookin.
~Rockjaw
Attachments
Shriek.  An ( I think ;)  interesting design. I designed it to pierce enemy formations. Targeting a specific ship while still being able to batter everything else along the way.
Shriek. An ( I think ;) interesting design. I designed it to pierce enemy formations. Targeting a specific ship while still being able to batter everything else along the way.
SMscreen04.png (455.5 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Kaze. The wind. Not the speed. The power. Anyone who's been in a hurricane....
Kaze. The wind. Not the speed. The power. Anyone who's been in a hurricane....
SMscreen03.png (383.35 KiB) Viewed 3453 times
Some of us walk in the thunderstorm. The rest of us just get wet.
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Re: A learning experience. Kaze.

Post by Da_Dooley »

ehhh... as u stated, the repetitions throws it off, but i like the shriek. the kaze... the design isnt really appealing, but those are some cool looking turrets. 8.5/10 i guess
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Keep the general shape of the kaze, but start swapping out the innards to eliminate the repetition of sections that serve merely as filler.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

Or even don't do that, since the general shape of the ship is fucking ridiculous and makes no kind of sense at all.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

you know if you turn the second ship the other way round it actually looks reasonable. but the repetition does make it very dull

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Both ships have too much repetion of sections (like everyone has said), and to a certain extent, both ships have a bit too much weaponary (mainly for the first ship)

I also don't like how the second ship has those to areas which seem to have been pinched together, and how there are some big gaps in the hull of that ship
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Rockjaw
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rockjaw »

Allrighty then.

Squishy.
So the general shape is decent but I should see about the repetition. That makes sense...I'll take a look at it and see what I come up with...maybe some other ideas will strike.

Anna.
Ahh yes...always the constructive criticism from seraph. So here's the thing. Now the overall shape I don't expect you to necessarily like. However... "Doesn't make sense" is a whole different statement. If you're saying that practically speaking it doesen't work...I'd have to say that in my tests...it actually works pretty well...it provides a stable weapons platform and a good amount of ablative armor. If you are saying that aesthetically well fair enough...but the structure works good against the AI and I've buried important components enough that even a human player has trouble beating down to the important bits... I'll admit that the engine section on the back could be redesigned and rebuilt...but the forward part (the part that gets shot the most) does seem to work.
Basically break it down for me...that was too much of a shotgun statement to get anything out of.

So out of the two...I've really gotten very little feedback on the Shriek. I know its a little over weaponed...I can cut back a bit...but on what? In my opinion the forward clusters of weapons would be the first thing to thin out. the sides are somewhat Piratesque (yes I made that up) but it's kinda supposed to look like that to an extent...
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The arms on the Shriek seem to be on a good angle and have good proportions to each other and to the body, but the outline of the body is too rigid compared to the wings. Some depthing error on the back of the body.

The Kaze is has far too much repetition, and the holes along the center don't add much to the aesthetics of the ship.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Rockjaw wrote: Doesn't make sense is a whole different statement. If you're saying that practically speaking it doesen't work...I'd have to say that in my tests...it actually works pretty well...it provides a stable weapons platform and a good amount of ablative armor. If you are saying that aesthetically well fair enough...
'piratesque' they should add it to the dictionary :). Personally i think an attack on that narrow section that connects the front of the ship to the middle would result in the whole front being lost ergo it doesn't really make sense, and its basically and oddly shaped slab of armour with weapons on it. I think the only possible way to save it is to slim out the front and lose the back completely a big slab like that would need large powerful engines to move it about so you might want to design some.

[/quote] I've really gotten very little feedback on the Shriek. [/quote]

Here's some!
Apart from the clutter of the weapons its an all right ship, but you need to accentuate the ships features and maybe strengthen the middle and make it smaller to bring the front and back closer to together to make it more aesthetically pleasing, but hey that's just my opinion and they're your ships so my opinion is not really important.

oh yeah and lose the shield or change it or something :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Rockjaw
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rockjaw »

Okay so I'm uploading what is actually an older/newer version of shriek. It's lost the shields and weapons clutter has gone down. the body design hasn't changed much and I'm gonna take some time to work that out. As far as Kaze goes I've been thinking on ways to smooth the look out without it ending up looking like a star destroyer going backwards. So far no luck. But anyway I'll be around to see what you think.
Attachments
SMscreen00.png
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The centre of the ship still has too much repetition. The way that the orange sections are placed so they're under those grey sections looks bad. It looks like you have stretched some of the sections and turrets, try to advoid doing that.

On a brighter note, the shape is okay, and I know what sort of style you're trying to go for. The ship simply needs more work done on it
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Rockjaw
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Rockjaw »

Hmm. I think that's the first time. *quickly checks posts* yeah that's the first time someone has said anything on repetition in the shriek. Just to be clear though...I'm pretty sure I didn't stretch/squash any weps (Ugh) and I didn't use much of it in the rest of the design either. So I'm not really sure where that one came from. Othewise...well I'm gonna be out of town for a few days. I'll take a longer look at it when I get back. Cya!