Mechs baby, mechs

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Mechs baby, mechs

Post by Doogie12 »

The guy renown for using the evil thruster eye is BACK. And with new ships too.

Ecthellion
Its armed, but I'm not exactly liking its basic blaster array. I might add some more Doodads to it in the near future. Any suggestions?

Ziggurat
Something I whipped up before I left but never got around to posting. I don't seem too pleased with its nose.

EDIT:
Khar-Lo
Despite previous failures I have given birth to a more industrial but still organic insect-ship. Unarmed and uncolored but I might just stick with greyscale.

Scitar-Kero
A variation of the Khar-Lo...sorta...

I've been trying to work on things to match the skill of people like Starstruck, but I have realized that my own impatience prevents me from that. I'll continue working and hope that I don't have an epic fail. Maybe I should stick with my organic insect ships....

Comments and Criticism much needed.

Anna Mod Edit: Removed the excessively large images in accordance with Rule 12. Please crop your screenshots and don't zoom in for Shipmaker Screenshots. Before taking your screenshot, press "Home" to go to the default zoom. Also, you're not renown for anything.

lol at the
Also, you're not renown for anything
I know that, just going for a stage entrance. As for the pics...apparantly having a computer with a big screen was bad for me. They're fixed now.

Got bored...made some mechs.
normal variant

heavy variant
Last edited by Doogie12 on Sun May 30, 2010 11:56 am, edited 4 times in total.
naysayers will be shot
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Re: I'm back, and as impatient as ever.

Post by Imaillusion »

Firstly, post pics of ships that are at default zoom, at the moment they're a bit blurry

On the whole, all your ships are pretty well structured, I like the shapes you're using. I do agree that with the second ship, the nose is really unattractive, you should just get rid of it. For the first and thrid ships, in some areas the section work is a little cluttered, try and find more suitable sections for those areas
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Overall, the ships aren't too bad, but have a general case of messyness.

Ecthellion:
The dart outline is good, the arms come off at a pleasant angle. However, despite being grayscale with the default background, I can still see holes in the ship. The large engine sprites mess up the depthing on the arms and engines; their curviness is really throwing me off. The region just to the left of the core is well done, it very well can be taken out and turned into another ship. The triplet fin sprite near the arms is awkward; either shift it's direction of move it farther to the right.Suprisingly, the straight central flow isn't too bricky, but is still pretty cluttered. Although alot of this can change if you shift to a normal zoom though.

Ziggurat:
Again. The large engine sprite. That's the most egregrious use of them i've seen in a while. Otherwise, nothing too special with this ship. Once again, the area directly left of the core is well done. The gnr_sw sprites in the center of the ship jutting out horizontally clashes with the rest of the ship with it's flatness and light color. Is it some sort of fighter deck?

Khar-Lo:
Not good at all. Definitively brickish body, and the arms are quite thin in their mid-areas. The center arms are "attached" well, but it becomes jumbled as it moves towards the end of the arm. The front pincers seem rather weak around the joining section to the body, kinda looks like a lobster pincer too.

Scitar-Kero:
Again, oddily brickish body for a "insect" ship. Arms are okay, but the sprite that lines up perfectly horizontally needs to be rotated or removed; it detracts from the angled look of the ship. The fins on the arms seem slapped on like an afterthought.
Doogie12 wrote:reknown
herp
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

I see your point, but i don't think i'm gonna change much of the shape. A conclusion i've come to is that (on Khar-Lo) the back region is lacking a sort of glow. As for its organicness, I tried to tone it down and give a little more industry to them. I also put the engine on the wings at the last second, which also explains the sloppy section work in that area.

Obviously my ships are greatly inspired by insects. I really doubt that beefing up the legs would look good at all. They look thin but do consist of many overlapping sections.

both of the eye ships also have an avian influence as well as an insect one. Tis is not intentional and explains much of the "brick shape".
in the future i will try to avoid this.
naysayers will be shot