Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Re: Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Post by Imaillusion »

I like the red one best, although the yellow one isn't bad either.

The sections near the front in the middle look kinda flat and lacking in detail, although that's probaly because I'm comparing that area to the light grey sections around it, which have that realistic, 3D feel to it. It's like the front-mid section lacks the detail when compared with the rest of the ship
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

"Absit Invidia" - Angra Mainyu-class Cruiser Refit.

Download and maybe a bit of backstory stuff coming later. Also I'll be starting work on a proper, un-modified, military grade Angra Mainyu Cruiser. After that, I've been considering a junkyard-pirate variant, with more of the internals showing and a rough, chunky outer hull. So that may be interesting.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

very nice Anna the engine glow colour is perfectly suited to the ship. on the subject of the pirate ship what about using destroyed sections on it to give it a real junkyard feel? looking forward to more :)

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

Really nice ship, I like the general flow of it.
All I can think of are some minor nitpicks, like that the fueltank thingies on the sides don't line up with the green section above them, and that the engine glows come out of the side of the engines.
fatrat600284
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by fatrat600284 »

There's something about the Absit Invidia that i just can not put my finger on. It just rubs me the wrong way. It's not a bad ship. It just not your best. But still a hell of a lot better then anything i can make. (As of now.)

Anyway keep up the good work.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

It seems you decided to take my advice after all despite the fact that I have no evidence. :wink:

Anyway, lookin' nice. The numbers on the fuel rods are bothering me because they look like they're on a flat surface when the fuel rod appears to be curved. Also, the wide front is bothering me but that's just taste. IMO the front would look better with just the two thin-long rods but idk. Just ignore the last part.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Maart3n wrote:Really nice ship, I like the general flow of it.
All I can think of are some minor nitpicks, like that the fueltank thingies on the sides don't line up with the green section above them, and that the engine glows come out of the side of the engines.
The green sections above the fuel tanks are part of the hull. The fuel tanks themselves are attached to the internals. It's mostly a coincidence they even mesh together as well as they do. And yeah, the engine glow coming out the side is a little annoying, but doesn't bother me enough for me to actually try to fix it.
25000st wrote:It seems you decided to take my advice after all despite the fact that I have no evidence. :wink:
I tried it. It looked good. If you had told me to completely restructure my ship, I would have ignored you completely. :P
25000st wrote:The numbers on the fuel rods are bothering me because they look like they're on a flat surface when the fuel rod appears to be curved.
Yeah... I actually have no idea how to fix that, and even if I did, it seems like it'd be too much trouble.
25000st wrote:Also, the wide front is bothering me but that's just taste. IMO the front would look better with just the two thin-long rods but idk.
Eh, perhaps, but I probably won't be making any more major additions to the ship. Once I finally get around to it, I'll stick some point defenses on it and maybe a few more doodads, post it, and move onto the military version of the ship, which won't have those front side bits at all.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Cycerin
Captain
Captain

Post by Cycerin »

Depthless and flat, but pretty interesting nonetheless. Section choice makes up for it, pretty much. I like that you added some text to the ship itself, and the color scheme. Overall, it looks like something from retro anime, especially with the hull shape, strong colors, and the engines. :D

I'm not big on the whole substructure fad. I don't think it adds a lot to a ship, and knowing that you bothered with it doesn't make an average ship automatically more interesting. Still, I guess it's cool ingame.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Cycerin wrote:Depthless and flat, but pretty interesting nonetheless.
I honestly disagree with you on this count, as I thought I did a fairly good job of making the shading and depthing smooth, consistent, but fairly simple. But you are entitled to your opinion. I guess it's not for everyone.
Cycerin wrote:I'm not big on the whole substructure fad. I don't think it adds a lot to a ship, and knowing that you bothered with it doesn't make an average ship automatically more interesting. Still, I guess it's cool ingame.
I don't think it's really a "fad", since one person did it, then maybe 2 or 3 other people did it, and then it pretty much stopped. It actually takes a fair bit of effort, and I personally feel it adds a fair bit to the ship. But again, it's a subjective thing. And yeah, it's pretty sweet in-game.

Anyway! Here's the Absit Invidia, with animated gif and full download. Enjoy.

Download the Absit Invidia.
Name: "Absit Invidia", formerly "Resplendent Fist of the Stars"
Registration Number: ERN-01762-G
Registered To: Gregory Malcolm Black.
Ship Class: Retired "Angra Mainyu"-class Warcruiser from the Kelranian Interstellar Navy. Heavily Modified.
Armament: Three Modified Albeda Tech Type-6 Autoflak Cannons.
Length: 252 metres.
Mass: 120,000 tons (unloaded).
Engines: 4x Rockwell Systems Rowena-class Ionic Drives.
FTL: Modified Rockwell Systems Sirius-class Hyperdrive rated for a maximum speed of 50,000c.

History: Originally the "Resplendent Fist of the Stars", a heavily armed Angra Mainyu-class Cruiser in the KIN, after a heavy battle with a well armed pirate faction, the ship was decommissioned due to extensive damage to its hull and internal systems. The weapons systems, FTL-drive, engines and generator were stripped, as well as much of the original armor plating, and what remained of the ship was left to float among much space-junk.

Upon discovering the wreckage, Captain Gregory Black, the commander of an Albedan freight ship, decided to rebuild the ship and become a private cargo vessel. Upon hiring a crew, he organised for the wreckage to be towed into a dry dock, where he and his comrades began work on its reconstruction. By the time the repairs were completed, Gregory was deep in debt, and so his first work was smuggling illegal narcotics and weapons for the blackmarket.

Over the years, the engines and FTL drive have been replaced, tampered with and upgraded many times, and a trio of powerful auto-flak weapons have been added, ostensibly to ward off pirates and stray meteors, though in reality more than a few members of the crew have bounties on their heads, and Gregory isn't especially popular himself.
Quality Control Enforcer
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Excellent to have a download; just a few things... Several of Blackharts sprites appear to be missing, at least three errors came up that didn't include the two bh sprites in the download. I know this is your prerogative but the range might be tweaked a bit since as soon as it spawned it moved right on top of my ship and sat there. That said I love the use of arc's turrets over the machine guns, I think that is the first time the guns haven't looked out of place to me. The glowy bits in back with the lightening sprite contribute a lot of the ship, and all the layering was well worth it in combat. Nicely timed doodads as well. I think the sectionwork is an improvement on some of your previous work and in most places really does highlight the shading. Take all that for whatever its worth :lol:
fatrat600284
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by fatrat600284 »

After trying the Absit Invidia ingame i have to say i like it a lot more then i did before. Still looks a little flat and Depthless. But the level of detail shown on this ship makes up for it. Good job.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Some original doodading you've got there. Few nitpicks. The doodad on the orange engine fades to a blackish color and that kinda bothers me. The green moving line doodad is also not mirrored correctly. The orange glow of the exhausts completely envelopes the thrusters at the back which... makes the thruster look like it's been chopped in half :? . I hope that made sense.

Anyhow, that's some of the best animated doodading I've ever seen. :D
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

This is refreshing in style. Certainly different from whatever else I've seen from you. The difference in section choice between the front and the back is unusual but well executed. Good doodading, etc., you know the drill. Glad to see you're back.
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
unitedblah
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by unitedblah »

Nice ship :) Just wondering, where do you get those sprites for those fuel pods (or are those cargo bays?) at the front of the ship? Thanks
Anna

Post by Anna »

jwa8402 wrote:Several of Blackharts sprites appear to be missing, at least three errors came up that didn't include the two bh sprites in the download.
Really? Well shit. I don't know why the hell that happened. I downloaded a separate version of BSF just for testing ships in before I upload them. It had no custom sections other than the ones BSF comes with and the ones in the zip, and the ship loaded fine in Shipmaker. This is odd.
jwa8402 wrote:I know this is your prerogative but the range might be tweaked a bit since as soon as it spawned it moved right on top of my ship and sat there.

That might be because it doesn't have any offensive weapons, but I'm not sure. I included the sb4 in the download, though, so it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
jwa8402 wrote:That said I love the use of arc's turrets over the machine guns, I think that is the first time the guns haven't looked out of place to me. The glowy bits in back with the lightening sprite contribute a lot of the ship, and all the layering was well worth it in combat.

I'm glad you like it. Yeah, I'm happy with the way the guns turned out. Normally I avoid adding visible weapons to ships at all because they just don't look very much like they fit on the hull, but in this case it turned out rather nicely, which I'm pleased with.
jwa8402 wrote:Nicely timed doodads as well. I think the sectionwork is an improvement on some of your previous work and in most places really does highlight the shading. Take all that for whatever its worth :lol:
Thanks, jwa, that actually is worth a fair bit to me.
25000st wrote:Some original doodading you've got there. Few nitpicks. The doodad on the orange engine fades to a blackish color and that kinda bothers me.
It does? I'm not sure I know which doodad you mean. I'll have to look into that.
25000st wrote:The green moving line doodad is also not mirrored correctly.
It isn't? Bugger.
25000st wrote:The orange glow of the exhausts completely envelopes the thrusters at the back which... makes the thruster look like it's been chopped in half . I hope that made sense.
Yeah, it makes sense. I know the problem you're talking about. That is actually all due to my laziness. I knew about the problem and was too lazy to fix it. So yeah. My bad.
25000st wrote:Anyhow, that's some of the best animated doodading I've ever seen.
Thanks!
ArcaneDude wrote:This is refreshing in style. Certainly different from whatever else I've seen from you. The difference in section choice between the front and the back is unusual but well executed. Good doodading, etc., you know the drill. Glad to see you're back.
Thanks. Glad to be back. :)
unitedblah wrote:Nice ship :) Just wondering, where do you get those sprites for those fuel pods (or are those cargo bays?) at the front of the ship? Thanks
They're cargo bays. Or they're meant to be. Anyway, those sprites are from HorseMonster's realistic sections pack. There's a link to them somewhere in his ship thread, though I can't recall exactly where.
Quality Control Enforcer