Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Preacher
Captain
Captain

Re: Anna's Shipmaking Stuff

Post by Preacher »

Good back story, possible restoration project to show the ship in the glory days? you don't realise just how well made this is until you look at the minor details every doodad placed to perfection, your an awesome inspiration to ship builders.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Post by Anna »

DERP. I accidentally edited your post with my response, Preacher. Fortunately, I quoted everything you said, so it wasn't hard to fix.
Good back story, possible restoration project to show the ship in the glory days?
That's the plan. I'm going to make an undamaged, unmodified, Angra Mainyu-class Cruiser next.
you don't realise just how well made this is until you look at the minor details every doodad placed to perfection, your an awesome inspiration to ship builders.
Heh. Thanks. Yeah, placing those doodads takes a fair amount of patience, and evidently it wasn't a perfect job, since some appear to be out of place, but I'm quite proud of it. Honestly, Talhydras is to thank for my patience for doodad work. I learned most of my doodading skills from recreating his Druna Skass with SWA sections.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Anna wrote:
jwa8402 wrote:Several of Blackharts sprites appear to be missing, at least three errors came up that didn't include the two bh sprites in the download.
Really? Well shit. I don't know why the hell that happened. I downloaded a separate version of BSF just for testing ships in before I upload them. It had no custom sections other than the ones BSF comes with and the ones in the zip, and the ship loaded fine in Shipmaker. This is odd.
I've noticed from the master sprite download that Blackhart's folder contains more folders with sprites. From experience, I remember that Shipmaker can't export sprites that are in a folder in a folder, so this may be a problem.

Otherwise, loving the cargo bays and the HM couplings between them. The antenna fit well in the front of the ship and doesn't seem slapped on. The front feels somewhat disproportionately flat with the topmost two Gnr_sw sprites, but otherwise, it looks exactly like what it's defined to do. Not quite liking the stretched lightning sprite over the back rods, seems more of a white blur.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

Subtle depthing error on the forward gray nozzle piece that has the blinking red doodad. The violet section on the right side of it is layered on top while the opposite violet section on the left is layered below it.

I'm not very keen on the oblique shape of the forward half in contrast to the angular composition of the hi-techish back half, but as the backstory indicated, this is a refitted model. Pretty sure the full-grade version will not have such a descrepancy.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

Anna wrote: Talhydras is to thank for my patience for doodad work. I learned most of my doodading skills from recreating his Druna Skass with SWA sections.

i never put much effort into my doodading but now i see how effective they are, have you posted the Druna Skass you made i couldnt find it and i fancied a peek. glad your ship building again its been a while.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Preacher wrote:have you posted the Druna Skass you made i couldnt find it and i fancied a peek. glad your ship building again its been a while.
Derp. The reason you couldn't find it was because I misspelt it. It's actually called the Druna Skas. It can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4556

Also, its colour scheme might feel familiar. :lol:

Anyway, I've kinda put the Military version of the Angra Mainyu on hold for a while, 'cause I haven't really felt like working on it. But I have made three new ships. Sort of. Each one was thrown together in about five minutes. Testing out some new sections that should be available to the rest of you soon. :lol: I dunno if I'm meant to be posting these yet or not. If not, oh well, Kaelis will be annoyed with me.

None of these are finished ships. All of them were 5-10 minute experiments just to see what sort of things I can do with these sections. So there's really no point in critiquing them, as I personally think they aren't amazing either, though they have parts I like.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Really, really, really like the first two ships. The spacing between details is excellent, and they seem to have come from an Shmup for some reason :lol: . The arms and sidepods... I can't describe how perfect they are (to me, at least).
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

First ship: I'm rather liking it actually.
Second ship: The engine sprite is not fitting as well as it could. It also just doesn't fit the ships style. Those horizontal littly details at the front also kill the flow.
Third ship: It has been depthed yet feels flat in a way. Those horsemonster(?) connectors or struts or whatever also don't really fit with the ship IMO but idk. The ship also feels too dark in the front. I know it's part of the depth but... yeah. Also, the ship might look better turned around but not really sure about that either.

ED: Just realized these were tests. :oops: Edited post so it's just cnc. Left it there in case you wanted it. If you don't, just ignore me. Sorry.
Altahir
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Altahir »

Those cool things in the back of the first ships are custom sprites? i like it and i want it... :lol:
Anna

Post by Anna »

All right, since I'm not PinkFlowerPrincess anymore, I'm coming back to this thread. The PFP thread is dead, and shall not be used. First, I guess I'll respond to 25000st's critique of my testships:
25000st wrote:First ship: I'm rather liking it actually.
Yeah, it was probably my favourite of the lot too.
Second ship: The engine sprite is not fitting as well as it could. It also just doesn't fit the ships style. Those horizontal littly details at the front also kill the flow.
Agreed. Generally I wasn't happy with that ship at all.
Third ship: It has been depthed yet feels flat in a way. Those horsemonster(?) connectors or struts or whatever also don't really fit with the ship IMO but idk. The ship also feels too dark in the front. I know it's part of the depth but... yeah. Also, the ship might look better turned around but not really sure about that either.
The only parts I really liked about that ship were the engines. I don't really think the HorseMonster struts are such a problem, but that may just be me. Otherwise, yeah, I agree with most of what you're saying.
ED: Just realized these were tests. :oops: Edited post so it's just cnc. Left it there in case you wanted it. If you don't, just ignore me. Sorry.
Heh, it's no worries.

Anyway, here's some screens of some of the things I've done lately. None of these are finished products, most will not ever be finished, 'cause I'm generally not very happy with them:

Recoloured PFP thingy. Not bad, if I finish it, I'll probably change the main hull colour to grey or a pale metallic blue. I am as yet undecided.

This is as far as I got on Angra Mainyu. Removed large chunks of the hull, remade parts of the internals, got bored of shipmaker and left it. Maybe be completed at some point.

Another recoloured PFP ship, some modifications made. Still a long way from finished, and I'm not entirely happy with it, so I may just scrap it.

Both of these are continued experiments with the robo sections. Just me messing around, not serious ships. Neither one is likely to see further completion.

Finally, here's a sneak-peak at what I may be planning for my next ships:
[17:08:46] <Anna> Hrm. I have the urge to build a fleet of more brickish ships with something resembling hard sci-fi balance...
[17:11:58] <Anna> Slow, chunky missiles that are only good against near-stationary targets or at close ranges, railgun weapons that launch shards of shrapnel at relativistic speeds for mid-range weapons, large, slow-firing but highly accurate lasers for long-range weapons...
[17:12:44] <Anna> And an assortment of passive and active defenses that seem realistic.
[17:12:56] <Anna> I think I could possibly do it...
[17:19:26] * Anna puts on Hell March 2 and plots.
Quality Control Enforcer
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

the first ship, the red one, is badass. i like the way you have done the stripes on it. The angra mainyu is a pretty good ship, i just think that the engines on the ends of those "pylons," (amirite?) are a bit too exposed. the one below it is very nice. i like the way you have done the alternating color tiles at the front. TBH, at any other occasion, i would be having a fit about armor tiles, but this is good. The last two? ehhh... i like the look of the second one, but not as much as the others.

Finally...
Anna wrote:[17:19:26] * Anna puts on Hell March 2 and plots.
When you listen to Hell March, you can't go wrong!
I'm still alive, motherfuckers.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

I don't like the orange stripes on the first ship color-wise. The red is also killing your depth because of it's value.

The second ship would probably benefit from a better color scheme. I'd change the cyan to a darker blue but I'm sure there's plenty of other colors that work. The very front segment may I say is feeling too bulky/round and doesn't really fit with the rest of the ship. Some of the section usage works really well though.

Third ship: I'm liking the new wings. The core, center area of the ship still doesn't all flow in the same direction but I figure it'd be better just to leave that alone. :)

Fourth ship is awesome. The version with glow looks better because the glow seems a lot more interesting and the colors fit better together. I'd really like to see that thing shoot a mega-laser thingy. :D

As for the brickish ships, that would be interesting to see as I don't believe I've seen you do that before.
Warbird94
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Location: Somewhere in a spaceship factory in outer rim of this galaxy

Post by Warbird94 »

I just had a cool idea for the red one you did. What about putting a big weapon in the central section and make the side sections recoil if it fires. That might be fun

Otherwise: Great ships!
I also saw a video you did on youtube with some of your ships. Really impressive!
Hey what does that button do??? *head explodes*

Battleships Forever RULES