Ships of the Royal Manticoran Navy

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Ships of the Royal Manticoran Navy

Post by Adm. White Haven »

Latest update.

Newbie here. I just downloaded this game 2 days ago, and I've been working on making ships from the Honor Harrington universe.

ImageImage
Invictus Podlaying Superdreadnought

ImageImage
Minotaur LAC (Light Attack Craft) Carrier

ImageImage
Nike Battlecruiser

ImageImage
Fearless Heavy Cruiser

ImageImage
Valiant Light Cruiser

ImageImage
Javelin Destroyer

Katana LAC

Shrike LAC

Apollo Missile Pod
Last edited by Adm. White Haven on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:30 am, edited 7 times in total.
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Replaced the overlarge images with thumbs.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Man, I was going to stay shut but this is so bad I had to say something. You'll have to excuse the crude language.

Aegispam, weaponspam, blinding repetition, AND pure stock green? Could you at least make it look like you even remotely tried to build something half-decent?

Aegisspam makes it look like you took spewed semen all over the ships while you were building it. Ugly as fuck.

Weaponspam obscures everything that Aegisspam doesn't. In this case, there's not much to see anyway, but its still ugly shit.

Repetition is just ugly. There are several hundred sections. Tiling one fifty times is unforgivable.

Pure stock green just makes you look like a lazy fuck you won't even bother clicking the color panels on the side to change the color of the sections.

Don't get me started on the weapon-on-a-core.

Also, use F9 to take screenshots. Before doing that always remember to hit F11 to get into preview mode so we don't have to see WHITE LINES.

Spend more time lurking and reading these: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2892

EDIT: Now I'm debating whether you're a troll or not. I see you can actually do parenting...
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Droid wrote:Aegispam, weaponspam, blinding repetition, AND pure stock green? Could you at least make it look like you even remotely tried to build something half-decent?
Well, I'm sorry it's not up to your standards. Like I said, I've had the game for 2 days, and there are reasons I did those things.
Droid wrote:Aegisspam makes it look like you took spewed semen all over the ships while you were building it. Ugly as fuck.

Weaponspam obscures everything that Aegisspam doesn't. In this case, there's not much to see anyway, but its still ugly shit.

Repetition is just ugly. There are several hundred sections. Tiling one fifty times is unforgivable.
You may not like it, but I did all of those things deliberately. The Aegis Deflectors (and really, 4 of them count as spam?) are there to model the sidewalls/impeller wedge of Honorverse ships - and I purposely left gaps that can be exploited.

The large numbers of weapons - well, I'll grant they're not aesthetically appealing in the traditional sense. But there was some serious though put into the arrangement and the distribution of the different types - how many point defense platforms and flareguns can be put in before the broadside's offensive punch is weakened?

As for what you call repetition, I call it "compartmentalization". Shipbuilders both civilian and military do it to limit the damage their ships take at once. If one compartment is damaged, the other compartments can be sealed off from it, limiting the spread of the damage and allowing the ship to continue functioning.
Droid wrote:Pure stock green just makes you look like a lazy fuck you won't even bother clicking the color panels on the side to change the color of the sections.
I'm still figuring out the controls, and I wanted to master the basics of construction before I spent effort on making them look pretty. Sorry to disappoint.
Droid wrote:Don't get me started on the weapon-on-a-core.
Oh no, please go on. I realize they're not exactly beautiful examples of the shipbuilder's craft, but they're supposed to be small, simple, easily-destroyed ships the threat of which comes from being deployed in large numbers.
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Here's an unarmed, de-aegised, and recolored SD(P).

For some reason the core doesn't like being recolored, which is annoying.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Sorry for the initial hostility, here's some more useful information rather than just rage:

The core doesn't like being recolored, yeah. You can either 1) recolor it every time you open to edit it (it'll be fine in-game if you do this), or 2) just cover it with a section.

Try to cut down on the stretching, you should probably try hitting ` (that is, the ~ key without the shift), and then using your non-numpad 1,2,3 and 4 keys to swap through the sections groups. You'll probably fine some sections that look better for compartmentalization if you do that (it helps to view all the sections in the group in a list on the side using Z)

As for simulating repeller fields or whatever, you could always change the color of the Aegis deflector (use the edit tab or right click it) so its not blinding white.

You can hide weapons underneath sections that are above its parent section by hitting W while having the weapon selected. This depths it. Remember to only depth weapons after you've mirrored them to prevent glitches.

For small craft, it's generally better to create your own sprite and put a single section over the core and hide the weapons by setting their alpha to zero. That way, you can have small craft that both function and look appropriately. If you don't know how to make custom sprites, you could always just a number of low-hp small sections in packs like Kae_Small or whatever. :P
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Can I hide weapons on bigger ships by setting their alpha to zero, instead of doing that W thing you mentioned?

Edit: By which I mean, is there a reason you told me two different ways to do it for different sized ships, instead of the same way both times?
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Oh, you could do it the other way around, but I just put it the way I found kinda works better (because having the weapon barrels stick out from under an armored slab or a turret casing just looks better than an invisible gun, though on a small ship you can't see so much and hiding is less prone to messing up your ship file if you "accidentally" mirror it while depthed).
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I've put some of your advice to work. I can't figure out how to get the W thing to work, so I'll probably just go through at some point and set the alpha to zero for all the weapons.

Also, have some new pictures (and a few new ships, and new versions of old ships) in the OP.
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Well, you need to put another section over the one the weapons are on for W to work.
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

I know. That's the part I can't figure out. :oops:
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

You should read the manual on depthing sections then :wink:
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Now that I finished using the Alpha Zero trick on all my ships, you mean? :P

((new images in the OP))
Nabaco
Commander
Commander

Post by Nabaco »

Hmm...I think you might want to remove the 1-section ships before somebody attacks you
Adm. White Haven
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

:? Why?