The Arcanity Conglomerate

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Arcanity Conglomerate

Post by ArcaneDude »

Bringin this thread back from the quasi-dead to show a prototype Alphatec ship. Depending on the comments I get this will be the definitive style for Alphatec. C&C appreciated.
Attachments
Alphatec CC X Prototype cruiser
Alphatec CC X Prototype cruiser
Check out The Star Wreck project!
Check out the Epic Music Library
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

ArcaneDude wrote:Depending on the comments I get this will be the definitive style for Alphatec.
Gotta reply then!

don't have anything good to say, im afraid.

Frankly, compared to your latest creations, i think its awful. General outline is uninteresting - brick attached to a round... thing. Colorscheme is washed out and boring. The shape (oval? huh?) and depthing (flat!) of the engine compartment just doesn't work. Many clashing, mismatched sections/styles - the way you use DST, HM, and normal SW does not speak to me. Somewhat confusing depthing. The only part that i like is that broadside gun deck.

However, i do think that its possible to pull off a DST+HM ship. But here, theres just not much even worth salvaging. Sorry :(
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

No need to apologize, you're right on most aspects. I need to rethink the concept for Alphatec entirely because clearly I've lost my touch for brickships. Oh well. Back to the drawing board it is.
And in this Alliance we bestow our hope and will, that the Dogs of War may never harass the people of our homes again, and that it will bring peace, equality and liberty for all in need and despair. One Universe, One Goal. By the Manifest we command this.~ Saren Vil Ush
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Very choppy due to completely straight lines created where sections meet. Blue is a bad choice to put with green (although I believe it has to do with the sections you're using). You've also put flat sections on top of surfaces which curve or drop one way or the other which totally kills it. And not feeling coherency of theme from front to back. Basically looks like random parts somehow glued together. I'm rather disappointed. :(
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The area where the back bulb connects to the main body seems overly thin compared to the rest of the ship (bulky, robust, etc). The whole ship to me just feels... incomplete. Like there was supposed to be another layer of sprites around the edge that got cut off. The various beveled peices around the edge of the ship is really screwing around with the depth, especially at the front of the bulb (does it go up? Down?).
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Something more traditional, more in the way of AHE ships than trying something completely different. I might decide on another colorscheme, though. C&C once again appreciated.
Attachments
Alphatec CC Y Prototype cruiser
Alphatec CC Y Prototype cruiser
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Yup, much better.

The colorscheme... yeah. In general i find the colorschemes on your latest ships uninteresting. Especially this one could use a second color and less gray, imo.

The inner set of back 'wings' needs work, its a jumble. And i think the ship needs something special - doodads, glows, engine flares, 'special features', you know the drill - something eyecatching to add contrast. Perhaps more emphasized depthing, too.

Overall its a solid mecha ship, but it would really benefit from more non-mecha sections, perhaps less/more detailed ones to make the amount of detail less even. Ships made entirely out of a single section pack are never as good as the alternative.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Take 2: More glowy-ness, cleaned up, and a different colorscheme. If I change too much of the actual sectionwork I'm afraid I'll ruin it completely, but I'll keep it in mind for the next ships.
Attachments
CC Y_3.png
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

This is much better than the first.

Cnc; Flow is awkward in the central area. The difference in number of spikes on the front half compared to the back half is too much IMO so it kinda feels like 2 different ships in one. I'm also not liking the color scheme. Also, I always get the feeling like your ships have way too many ideas crammed into them. If you look, the style of the center is rather different from the style for the wings and such so it doesn't look as appealing.
ArcaneDude
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by ArcaneDude »

Yet another tryout. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Slight modification.
Slight modification.
Alphatec 1.png
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

A cute smallship. Solid, balanced, good colors and without too many 'features'.

Just some small nitpicks:
- Those curvy sections that look like someone tried doing 'armor', theyre not very good. The internal detail introduces too much visual noise, makes them look dirty/scarred, especially when rotated. This contrasts with smooth surfaces of other sections. You should either replace them or clean them up.
- Second version has nice shapes, but the difference between the two halves is too big, and im not sold on those circles you added. Id try changing the front to match or trying another combination.
- Sides of the front half are a bit cluttered.

Keep going, youve found a pleasant and original style worth continuing.
vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

personally i prefer the previous style to these. i find the shape of it more dynamic and it looks more like a designated battleship. then again it is also a similar style to your main AHE fleet. then again again i like that style.

the new one looks like the front was designed in a different style to the rest of the ship. i prefer the area around the core and backwards, and i'd really like to see the ship done in a styke consistent with this
There is no OP, there is only more boosters...
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

vidboi wrote:the new one looks like the front was designed in a different style to the rest of the ship. i prefer the area around the core and backwards,
Seconded.

I'm not completely liking the shade of blue you're using. The engine(?) is kinda a nice touch.