Despot cruiser (one of my first works)

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DeathKorpsofKrieg
Ensign
Ensign

Despot cruiser (one of my first works)

Post by DeathKorpsofKrieg »

Despot class cruiser, designed for engaging fighter and patrol sized vessels as well as providing fire support for capital ships.

I'd like criticism, especially on the parenting. This is my first ship where I paid attention to connecting everything properly, unlike my previous works where blowing up the bridge destroyed the engines due to crap parenting.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Ok, so you did parent some of it correctly. If taking out the glowy areas somehow takes out the engine, then I guess that works but it still looks like some things are not parented where they need to be. Rule of thumb, if a white line stretches a third or more of the ship without hitting another section, your doing it wrong. Applies to weapons too. Also shrinking or stretching is generally a bad idea, and honestly there are better sprites to fill those purposes. Not to scare you off; the concept is sound and the general shape isn't bad, and people usually improve quickly from these first basic mistakes. Just put more than three minutes of effort into it.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

jwa8402 wrote:If taking out the glowy areas somehow takes out the engine, then I guess that works but it still looks like some things are not parented where they need to be.
Other way around, numbskull. You can't have multiple parents for a single section. :P

That engine effect should be replaced with something that looks like an actual engine. Then you can use ThrusterEX modules with custom sprites to get the effect you want, without things looking weird when the ship isn't moving.
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Problems with your ship are that the shape is weird, odd section placement, and the parenting is kinda bad.

You need to spend more time when making each individual ships. More time spent= better quality ship.
GATC
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by GATC »

How did you mirror your ship?
The parenting line seen to my strange for a mirrored ship...
Beware! I have a Pinkie Pie launcher!
(When I look out there, it makes me GLaD I'm not you.)