New project

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Blade Skydancer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

New project

Post by Blade Skydancer »

Been working on some new ships, based on my Dracon Empire idea I've been building on for years. Hopefully their ships translate well to Battleships Forever.

Snipe-class Defender Corvette

Sparrow-class light attack/scout frigate

Swallow-class lance assault destroyer

ImageImage
Raven-class torpedo fire support destroyer

Falcon-class light fast attack cruiser

Hawk-class general purpose strike cruiser

Eagle-class heavy assault cruiser
Last edited by Blade Skydancer on Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

Do you see that middle band of red sections in the middle? The colouring is too bright, darken it a little. That little green section also looks... out of place, but that's just a trivial thing. Also, those particle guns on the wings don't look right, as they are not SWA-type sprites.

Other than that, your ships are really good, I like the shapes you use for your ships.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Nice birds. :D
The green pieces are really out of place though. You may also want to change the sprite of the particle gun. Otherwise, god work.
dgms17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by dgms17 »

Me like!
25000st wrote:The green pieces are really out of place though.
I don't totally agree, I think the color is just too bright. Darker green would fit better. I DO tnink you should be consequent in what position the green sections are compared to the underlying section (it's different in all three ships).
The color brightness also applies to the red sections as Imaillusion already said. The Ravens wings seem to be too small.

Sparrow, Swallow and Raven? I would call them Extremely Cool Chicken, Fenix and Dragon, cuz they are really cool.
I know I should first get the log out of my own eye before putting it into someone else's.

For instance: I should change my signature.
Bomen zijn relax
Blade Skydancer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

New Ship, Updated Ships

UPDATE: Posted a new ship type, and updated the images for the other three ships. Included an animated gif of the Raven's torpedoes.
That little green section also looks... out of place, but that's just a trivial thing.
That's the bridge, and it's colored default so that you can easily, visually identify what team the ship is a part of. Every ship has a colored bridge like this, and the same goes for all the green stripes on the ship as well.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

Alpha on the green stripes is too high. Other than that, nice work. The wings on the ships are nicely done, the body could use some more cohesiveness, but that's mostly a small nitpick. I'd like to see more from you!
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Blade Skydancer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

UPDATE: New ship, the Falcon-Class Light Attack Cruiser.

EDIT/UPDATE: I started on an experiment to create a point-defense shield drone. I now present to you the XD-01 Buckler.

Sparrow-class frigate equipped with Buckler Drone.
Buckler Drone in action

Alright, I'll see about lowering the alpha of the striping. I did so when building the Falcon-class, it's alpha 0.60 vs 0.75. Let me know what you think, please.
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The Falcon's main fuselage is too "bricky" (that is, rectangular shaped) compared to the other ships. Try incorporating some TSA sprites for some good curvyness. If you're aiming for that kind of curvyness as a fleet in general, that is.

You also ought to change out some of the stock weapon sprites with SWA-style sprites.

Also, when changing alpha, .05 is barely noticeable, just use increments of .1 . Usually .2-.4 works for striping, .1 for glows.
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Blade Skydancer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

UPDATE: Two new ships, the Hawk and Eagle class cruisers. The cruiser fleet is nearly complete, just have the battlecruiser then it's on up to the dreadnought, battleship, and carrier. I'll probably do a round of small ships before I try the carrier, though.

As for the Falcon, I'll see about making her a little more curvy when I get the fleet a little more fleshed out.
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

The wings on the cruisers are a bit too small at the moment. Relocate them nearer towards the centre, make them longer, and fold them back a bit more. That way the wings will compliment the size of the ships better, and those ships will also look a lot more streamlined and cool-looking
Icy
Commander
Commander
Location: THE ARTIC or THE ANTARTIC (or any other cold place...) :D

Post by Icy »

nice ships, it looks like you added on to the older ships which is a cool way of designing ships (I've attempted and it was okay for me). I really like your color scheme which makes your ships stand out since most of the ships on this site are based on grey with highlights. I'd have to agree that the colors are a bit to bright. These ships kind of remind me of the pokemon Ho-oh (yes I'm a nerd).
My favorite pokemon: Swampert, and Articuno
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 3267-4421-2889
Minecraft Name:IcyPwnage
Blade Skydancer
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

UPDATE: Had to rework the Hawk AGAIN 'cause I kept failing to save her, this makes the 3rd time re-constructing that hull. Experimenting with a new wing type for the cruisers, which I had intended to put on the battlecruiser and dreadnought. I'm not sure about the new profile this presents on the cruisers, so tell me what you think. Also removed the stripes from the cruisers, just to compare against the smaller ships.

Thanks for all the compliments; this has definately rekindled my spirit for shipbuilding. I used to think I sucked along with all the rest of the fresh-blooded newbs but thanks to you guys I've convinced myself I'm actually not too bad. Expect more from this fleet, still have the battlecruiser, the dreadnought, the battleship, and the carrier. I don't know if I'll do the super battleship or supercarrier, we'll see as I get closer to finishing the fleet.