Some Randoms

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Raul
Captain
Captain

Re: Colonial fleet + some randoms

Post by Raul »

May or may not be obvious, but tried a few different things. Unfortunatly once i launched it about half the doodas showed up as missing so i had to delete them before i could take the screenshot...anyway, any advice is appreciated. I really am willing to add color and glows to make it flashy, but people seemed down on my section work so was hoping to get that fixed first.
I know this one aint perty, but its got several layers of detail and glows under the outer armor so it actually gets more interesting as you destroy it...
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

The first one is great, hardly a complaint with the section usages. I'm taking your word on it getting more interesting as it is destroyed.

The second is pretty good, and has some interesting aspects like those cylinders on the back but it's a bit "chunky" in a few areas. Basically you have some rather obtrusive vertical lines which break up the flow of what is otherwise a good ship. Particularly behind the sections in the front, in the back of some of the mid-sections (just before the spindly center section), behind the inner pointy Kae-Generic sections you attached to the struts (both on each wing should appear a bit more symmetrical if you know what I mean), and just in front of those DST sections you used in the back.

It's possible that 5 hours of sleep was not enough, so forgive me if these are only standing out to me.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Alright, since you're not getting any constructive feedback, ill try my best at pointing out flaws.

1. Far too many hard, 'conflicting' angles. There is not much in terms of flow.
2. The section work is simply wrong. On most, if not all ships it looks like semi-random sections thrown together to fill the space, without much rhyme or reason. Often the inner shades of sections do not match.
3. You're using pretty much only generic and DST sections, which makes your ships look... well, uniformly generic.
4. Depthing - too subtle, not enough contrast, looks random in some places. You should try using depthing to separate different 'layers' of your ship.
5. Absolute lack of color.
6. There are very few, sometimes none, points of interest on your ships. This, coupled with lack of color and contrast, makes them look like big gray blobs.
7. The general silhouettes are rather uninteresting or ugly. I realize theyre supposed to be terran, but your execution just ends in boring shapes.
8. Use default zoom for screenshots.

Frankly, i think you are aiming too high. I suggest that you should try honing your skills on small ships first, as it takes a lot experience to pull off a big ship. Plus, so far this: http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn36 ... een011.png is your best ship.

Your style is also similar to jwa8402's and you seem to be making the same mistakes, so maybe it would be a good idea to read the feedback on his ships.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

thanks for the feedback guys.
@Kiltric: Well its the second one that gets more interesting, and maybe thats why you guys see it as blocky. I built the internals tfirst and made them more flowing, so maybe I should have built a better outter hull then made the good parts fit instead. Thanks for the section advice.
@Kaelis: Thanks, thats genuinly useful. Maybe my problem is working zoomed in all the time cuz up close believe me there is nothing random about the sectionwork but maybe when put together in something that large it clashes so i will try something smaler.
I get that their boring since im just using three shades of grey but wasnt planning to color till the sectionwork was finiallized which i rarely got feedback on; would it be better to post a partially finished ship and get feedback earlier?
when I take shots at default zoom most if not all of the ship is blurry. I don't stretch sections so not sure why this is? And as for any similarities, I strongly disagree(how are his redux bsf ships even close to mine instyle?!) but I guess if they both suck in your eyes :lol: Not sure how you get only generic and dst out of that but for the battlestars ya i guess. I just don't like curvy alien ships.
Kaelis

Post by Kaelis »

Raul wrote:I get that their boring since im just using three shades of grey but wasnt planning to color till the sectionwork was finiallized which i rarely got feedback on;
Its not just color. Shapes, section choice, lack of interesting features - everything.
Raul wrote:would it be better to post a partially finished ship and get feedback earlier?
I don't think youll get much feedback either way because theres just not much positive to be said. I know thats harsh but its the way i see it.
Raul wrote:when I take shots at default zoom most if not all of the ship is blurry. I don't stretch sections so not sure why this is?
By default zoom you understand backspace/home, right? If thats the case, maybe you're resizing the shipmaker window?
Raul wrote:And as for any similarities, I strongly disagree(how are his redux bsf ships even close to mine instyle?!)

I didnt mean his redux bsf ships.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... en01-6.png
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... en03-4.png
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... een019.png
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y201/J ... n020-1.png

Off all the styles out there, his is the most similar to yours. You even use similar techniques.
Raul wrote:Not sure how you get only generic and dst out of that but for the battlestars ya i guess. I just don't like curvy alien ships.
Alien sections is one thing. I don't see any mecha in there either. Only generic, small, misc, and DST, sprinkled with a few sections from other people. These are all 'generic-techy-looking' sections.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

They don't exactly lack interesting features. They lack quality. You have the same problem with Jwa, vertical lines that kill the section usage and no real direction of flow to your ships. Maybe you could try making a ship without thinking of adding hangars and functional details and just try to make something that all blends into one piece.
Preacher
Captain
Captain

Post by Preacher »

i like the first ship but it does lack... i dunno wings or engines or something, width! but the second ship is blocky and has zero flow at the front, good overall shape though.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of god. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness. " Kingdom of heaven.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

Kaelis wrote:
Raul wrote:would it be better to post a partially finished ship and get feedback earlier?
I don't think youll get much feedback either way because theres just not much positive to be said. I know thats harsh but its the way i see it.
I think you misunderstood me. I'm saying if i start a ship and post it and people say oh you should replace that section with a curvy one or change the angel of the wings then I can do that and improve the ship before it gets to far along and is bad. I'll take my share of blame for crappy ships but if I post basic enough designs you can't cop out with 'nothing positive to say'.
Raul wrote:when I take shots at default zoom most if not all of the ship is blurry. I don't stretch sections so not sure why this is?
By default zoom you understand backspace/home, right? If thats the case, maybe you're resizing the shipmaker window?[/quote]
Yes, i understand how to do it. No, its not resized. At default zoom alot of the details I put on just smear into the grey lumps your describing.
25000st wrote:Maybe you could try making a ship without thinking of adding hangars and functional details and just try to make something that all blends into one piece.
this is useful. i do alot of the same thigns throughout my ships so if their all sucking, the logical step is to start changing those things till something clicks.

Ok so posting this early on so i can get an idea of wheather its trash or not. started as a station but could be made into a ship core(homeworld anyone or is that just me?). Looks decent to me but if its not tell me and i'll try something different.
Some sort of atmosphereic gunship? Should it be more elongated? I was thinking some sort of ball turret in the nose...
Last edited by Anna on Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removal of Rule 1 Violation
Anna
The artist formerly known as SilverWingedSeraph

Re: Some Randoms

Post by Anna »

Raul wrote:
By default zoom you understand backspace/home, right? If thats the case, maybe you're resizing the shipmaker window?
Yes, i understand how to do it. No, its not resized. At default zoom alot of the details I put on just smear into the grey lumps your describing.
Rotating sections also causes section blurring, unless you rotate them a full 90, 180 or 270 degrees.

As to the ships, the uncoloured little gunship thing is... well, not very impressive, and uses rather generic sections, making the whole thing look rather generic. It's not really bad, it's just boring.

This:
Is actually rather nice, though. Could work well as a station, but it could also work as the core of the ship, and honestly I'd like to see what you can do with it.

On a moderating note, I made a very small adjustment to your post to remove a Violation of Rule 1.
Founder and Event Coordinator for the BSF Beauty Pageant. Founder of the Pseudo-Chainship Project. Admin. Games Master.
Quality Control Enforcer
Gay cute girl and fucking proud of it.
Maart3n
BANNED

Post by Maart3n »

Anna wrote:This:
Is actually rather nice, though. Could work well as a station, but it could also work as the core of the ship, and honestly I'd like to see what you can do with it.
I see some potential in having the middle ring rotate and the outer sections stay in place, would make for a cool station.(Maybe even only arm the ring...)

And the make it into a ship idea ain't bad either, kinda like a cross.
Raul
Captain
Captain

Post by Raul »

I'm actually going to work up several variations using it as a station, a ship, and a core. Tried to make the little ship more interesting, plus two more at different levels of completion.