Need C&C before i explode!

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Need C&C before i explode!

Post by Rugdumph »

Right. I'm getting some good c&c in my main thread but not enough to make a decision off. The mecha mess at the back i'm going to deal with, the repetition on the front i'm not happy with and neither is anyone else, it's the kind of effect i want but....so far doesn't look great. And i will colour it. Please don't just tell me that over and over again cause i don't like to start colouring something till i've finished it, and ergo don't say something thick about it looking half built, because it is half built.

Thank you!
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

alrite...obviously you could try to remove those....er....gun cradles so that the only ones left are the first and last ones, also i do see why it is cluttered BUT, i believe coloring it to look Alien would be a very VERY big improvement
naysayers will be shot
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Firstly, I'm going to mention that you should be careful because after a certain amount of code lines in a ship file, it breaks and becomes unloadable. (Engine limitation)
However, I find that the repetition isn't all that bad, considering how many repetitions there are.
The back piece seems small compared to the huge mass in the front, not really sure how to remedy it because adding more would probably ruin the flow of the whole thing.
Solid suggestions though, is to slap some weapons on those mounts and then try and cover most of the repetition with armor plates.
Fly me to the moon, so I can play among the stars~
Let me see what spring is like on Jupiter and Mars~
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

I would recommend cutting out the(from the back forward) 2nd, 3rd, and 6th repeating segments. I honestly like the segment individually, you just have too many of them. This would also help it match the size of the engine block which is already kinda merged with the first segment, as well as lowering the section count. As for the engine, perhaps adding some details below it would help, especially if you shaded them dark compared to the engines.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

@Doogie: Yeah, i have a feeling colouring will sort it...it just kinda bugged me.

@Chiiro: By code lines are you talking about the number of sections i've used? Because there are quite alot of sections i could merge without it looking bad when the thing blows up.

@JWA: I think we have a winner! To be frank I wasn't all that comfortable adding the 6th section, i needed to to close together the sides before it got to the nose but it just felt too excessive. I think i'll have to make a whole new hull frame for anything bigger or it'll result in the same problem. The advice for the engine has hit me like a big block of inspiration though, i dunno why i didn't think of that before.

Ok so i'll do some refitting work and post it back in here. Consider this ship separate from my main thread now until it's reworked to an agreeable version.

Edit: Ok i made one with the original engine work and different sections take out, and one with different half done engines with the advised sections taken out.

Last edited by Rugdumph on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Damn hippies with their slippers and mesh bags looking for "adventure" or friggin' nerds who hasn't held anything but a microscope in their girly little hands. Such posers don't last long here." - Wolf (S.T.A.L.K.E.R.)
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Rugdumph wrote: @Chiiro: By code lines are you talking about the number of sections i've used? Because there are quite alot of sections i could merge without it looking bad when the thing blows up.
It's not QUITE that simple.
Every section, weapon and doodad ads at least one line of code and there's a certain limit where there are too many lines, I don't really know more about it than that.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Ah, ok. Hmm might explain a problem i've had a few time, exhausts not appearing in the sandbox after a certain amount of ships etc have been added, or tbh just the battlecruiser overdid it, but then i'd forgotten to take out the ones that wouldn't be visible anyway under new sections/thrusters.

Edit: Followed advice to adding sections underneath the engine work.

Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Hmm...the I liked the engines more before (and even when they were stripped down). The stuff beneath it isn't quite dark enough.

You could probably also afford to extend the head a bit, as the engine block looks a bit too fat in comparison now.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

I think i agree with the engines, cause it'd also hide the exhausts. By extending the head of it you mean like add in another of the sections, or just the nose where it ends, cause once the nose is added it'll be extended a bit.

Edit: Ok, put a section back in, still no nose yet, but i think armouring up the middle has worked out quite well? I mean it's not perfect but it's better than nothing, breaks up the repetition.

Edit: Nose done, and now the it's almost finished hull wise, i think it's got a much better feel about it than before, and clearly 4 seems to be the magic number for sections.

jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

lol@the front...looks like an ant head. Still...it fits well with the rest of the ship, and I agree 4 sections is a good compromise. You better have some uber guns mounted on those platforms...
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

I have good news and bad news...

Good news is that you won't be disappointed on the gun front...

But you see i've only done the main broadsiders, cause i went to test them out and what do you know, it won't load. I guess i finally exceeded the old code line limit...

I do know roughly how to merge multiple smaller sections but it may take a while, although weapons, mountings, and etc will be easily sorted and done, but i think i'll manage...copy the ship, break it up, red background in SM and a little fiddling in mspaint sound like a good plan?
Grasmaaier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Grasmaaier »

that ship will move out of the battle by just firing its main guns...
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Well if i'm honest it didn't really need guns, since as long i pointed it the right way and detonated the core the front flew off like a huge battering ram of debris lol
Chiiro
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Chiiro »

Grasmaaier wrote:that ship will move out of the battle by just firing its main guns...
Not if it fires both ways at the same exact time it won't.
Rugdumph
Commander
Commander

Post by Rugdumph »

Oh poo...shall have to finish and colour this before i can sprite most of it or colouring it later will be dull unless i was ridiculously clever about which sections i merged...meh, that's a task for tomorrow then.