Rodgun's Ships

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Dat Viymese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Dat Viymese »

May the gods strike me dead now but Hell!
You are a genius!
i can't say anything else...at a loss of words...
I just Came to enjoy the sites! <(^.^)>

I do have my dignity, its just in a box somewhere in the north atlantic sea...

forums...aren't they lovely?
[quote="inteuniso"] Welcome to the site. We're always glad to have new meat- I mean members.[/quote]
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

maybe a good idea to merge some of the larger parts of the shipyard, that would make it a lot smaller in section count. apart from some rather spindly corners on the bays and the rather odd placement of the shuttlebays, its awesome. really nicely done with the construction arms/booms.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Yeah, I'll have to do that. Probably for the four new construction bays. Though, how do I do that? :?
Do I make a whole new, huge sprite for the larger parts by combining the sprites or something like that?
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

I managed to fix the mentioned issue of the shipyard not loading by doing a very simple thing. Splitting it. The huge-ass shipyard is now two separate structures.

Main Shipyard
- X3 Resupply Stations
- X4 Repair and Resupply Stations
- X1 Capital Construction Bay
- X2 Nanomatrix Repair Modules (the blue glowy things on the extended parts right where the Repair and Resupply Stations are. Part of them actually.)

Auxiliary Shipyard:
- X4 Nanomatrix Repair Modules (located on the Construction Bays)
- X4 Frigate Construction Bays
- X2 Repair and Resupply Stations (where the HE Crimson Sky is at.)
- X2 Shuttle Docks
Imaillusion
Captain
Captain

Post by Imaillusion »

You see the areas where the ships dock and there ae those robotic arms? Maybe you could make triggers for the arms, so when a ship is docked, the arms move around and they shoot off little arcs of electricty, like weiding arcs, making it look like they're reparing the ships

You could also put lighting doodads on the sections around the docking bays, like guiding lights
Those that live by the sword... get shot by those that don't.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Added some guide lights for the construction bays of the Auxiliary Shipyard and added the repair matrixes as well, in the same style as with the Main Shipyard. I don't think it is possibly to make the arms do that. I mean, not practically. I tried it and the pieces are just too big to move around fluidly with the design. Cutting them breaks them. Doodads can't be given trigger effects. Plus, laziness kicks in considering all the RL stuff I have to deal with right now. But yeah, thats a good idea. When I have more time I'll look for a way to do that. Or make something else :P
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Doing the repair arm thing isn't hard and its been done before. You just have to use joints and drivers, why would doodads be necessary? You can put the doodad 'welding' graphic in as a section and somehow trigger it to fade in and out if you really want it off when ships aren't around, but its not like you would be practically able to line up a ship with that anyway.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

That's true. And also:
OH SHI- forgot the part about the joints. In that case, I think I got an idea for that. Thanks man. Going to update to that once I got the time.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Arm movement completed for the main shipyard!

vidboi
Tournamentator
Tournamentator

Post by vidboi »

nice work. the only problem i can see is that with all the actions synchronised it just doesn't look quite right. you could try staggering them, or give them different timings
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

Give each mechanical piece a different speed to do things in, so they only sync up a little. It makes the overall animation much longer and much much more interesting.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Rodgun's Ships

Post by Rodgun »

Alright guys, I'm back and I bring with me a new ship.

Crusader-class Combat Destroyer

I want to clear out two things.
1st. I know that mostly DST sections are used here, but that is kind of the point. This ship, after all, started as a challenge made by a some of my BSF-enthusiastic friends before evolving into what it is now.
2nd. The ship in question was inspired by another ship. The STI destroyer.
Silverware
Commodore
Commodore

Post by Silverware »

The DST sections themselves are fine, its the blue sections that ruin it.
Try just removing the blue sections and going with just what is currently grey DST.
Then work on the nose a little.
The rest should be fine after that.
Squishy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Squishy »

I recommend repositioning the blue instead of removing them entirely. The ship is too squarish and flat to survive the loss of flavour colouring.

Also, the ship invokes that space retro-feeling, something you'd see from 1960s~1970s sci-fi ships from television. The ship is composed of almost entirely right angles and a single shade of gray. This hurts the ship's look too much when you've already made it mostly of DST sections (DST sections are very difficult to pull off just by themselves).

Keep the right angles if you must, but shift the 'lines' around to lessen the checkerboard effect.

Start working on shading the ship with lighter and darker grays. Anything to make it unflat.

Your previous ships looked better, but taking new directions is encouraged. This ship is super flat and ultra blocky compared to your old, fluent designs. Try these suggestions and see if it helps.

Doodad work, however, remains top notch. I'm glad to see some people who know how to use doodads to add to a ship.
Rodgun
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Rodgun »

Ok, let see here. I attempted to eliminate some of the blockiness there while still maintaining the shape. I think I succeeded somewhat there. Also made it somewhat bulkier and fixed the broken nose. Also, just for hell of it, added two sensors on the rear. Y'know, those radar dish things.

Note: It appears 30 frames, for me atleast, is the max GIMP will use to make a gif file small enough for Photobucket to accept. Any more and it gets shrunk down, like seen here.

Kae edit: Crop your screenshots.
Ok. Done.
Last edited by Rodgun on Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.