Guardian of Orion - Ship files released

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Guardian of Orion - Ship files released

Post by seiya »

I wanted to do something a little different as a quick exercise. I started out thinking of doing something that looked kind of sorta like a bug or in this case a tick. As the forward arms got longer though, I realized it looked alot like the guardian from Master of Orion. So I changed the theme and named this class Guardian. Ignore the weapons. I am trying to make this an actual (entirely too large) warship. The weapons are there only until I can get it working right, then they will be alpha'ed out.

Last edited by seiya on Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My name isnt from Saint Seiya. I have never seen the show and never plan to.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

looks alot like my scarab from my bug ships thread

arms are WAAAAY too thin
naysayers will be shot
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

You are right, I had not looked in that thread yet. I guess when you start with the same idea and graphic set that is inevitable though. Yours do look more like insects than mine.

The long thin arms are actually purposeful. It actually came out how I wanted it to. Is it practical, no. Is it amusing, I think so.
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

Scatterbeam floating in mid air? You may also want to reconsider the green.
I also don't like how the main body seems rather "fat".
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The arms are waaay too spindly. If you're going for that look, try adding on a some small TSA sections to beef them up. There's also quite a contrast in scale between the main body and the arms (SWA Stock vs SWA Mecha).

Although it's a really wild thought, have you considered making really like a tick, so it's abdomen increases in size while charging some sort of blood-laser?
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
Gottfried von Manhausen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Gottfried von Manhausen »

The tick idea is interesting. Maybe you could put large amounts of red sections underneath the 'abdomen' so when the 'tick' dies it explodes into a spray of blood?
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

@seiya-don't worry..i wasn't trying to claim any ownership for that idea (i didn't even have a goal for what it would look like when i built it).

@25000st-
Scatterbeam floating in mid air? You may also want to reconsider the green.
I must ask, do you read?
Ignore the weapons. I am trying to make this an actual (entirely too large) warship. The weapons are there only until I can get it working right, then they will be alpha'ed out.
naysayers will be shot
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

There is a certain amount of, "its my work and I will make it look nice to me" going on here. I like the arms. They fit the original's aesthetic as well as its notorious weakness. The original guardian was made to guard the home planet of a race that mysteriously disappeared long ago. Destroying it was a bear of a task. It had some of the most powerful weapons weapons in the game. That said, it was possible to overwhelm it with small craft firing lots of missiles. In this case, the thin arms (and only light AA) make it possible to take out its most fearsome weapons. Those long arms never stop firing their beams. That said, get something attacking it from the side and you can (oh god, this pun is going to hurt) disarm it. After that, all it has is its rather light pulse gun and its very slow firing Flash Bolter. It is now easily taken out.

The comment about me liking the arms aside, I do agree that the green was a bit much and it was toned down.

25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

@Doogie. I stand corrected. And no I don't always read because sometimes I'm feeling lazy.

@Seiya: I like the weapons. Have you added any triggers to make the arms move are anything?
seiya
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by seiya »

Nope, I havent done any triggers on this one. It was always meant as a quick and dirt ship. If you want to, you are more than welcome to add in effects for it. I am happy where it sits now and am moving onto other challenges. Here are the files for it.
http://filesmelt.com/dl/BFS_Seiya_Guardian.shp
http://filesmelt.com/dl/BFS_Seiya_Guardian_parts.zip