My first ship

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

DTF
Ensign
Ensign

My first ship

Post by DTF »

(Note: I forgot to mirror the weapons :oops: )
(There i reposted see? XD)
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

(Now I'm obligated to comment, since I told you to post it here, lol.)

As a stock-style ship, it's not bad. The parts fit together properly, and the hull isn't packed full of guns.

You'll probably want to take a look at some of the other ship threads in this section as well, to find examples of other people's work for inspiration. Once you start making slightly larger ships, you'll need to start shading them (and using boring colors like grey, with the bright ones for highlighting).

In the Custom Sections forum, you'll also find a great selection of new ship parts which you can use (I personally like the SWA/SW style sections). Anyway, I have to run to work now, I may post more later.

Welcome to BSF ship manufacturing, ;).
25000st
Captain
Captain

Post by 25000st »

It's actually pretty nice for a first ship. However I warn you never use aegis (I see an aegis module in the middle). It just drives people here nuts. Also, you may want to try out the new sections we have in the Custom Content section. I highly recommend you get all of Kaelis' sections.
Welcome to the forums.
DTF
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DTF »

Uhh..How do you put new sections after downloading them?
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Actually its not aegis that was ever a problem, its how people were using it. Covering up the whole ship, or using really obscene colors. If he has it on there he either hasn't targeted anything yet or has set the color to near black, which is good. Also in addition to be being a well designed stock ship, I like the asymmetry of the weaponry, though I think two pulse guns instead of one would be better looking.

As for putting in new sections: You download the packs, extract them using a third party program like 7zip, and drop the folders in your custom sections folder, which is in your battleships forever folder. Naming is everything though, so don't change the folder or sprite names. The designers should have put exactly where each file should go.

Once you have them where they need to be, you can either drag them from the folder into shipmaker, or download(or make if your feeling ambitious) a .ini file. I believe squishy released one of these with alot of good section packs. It basically replaces those sprites that show up in the menu in shipmaker. If you have any more questions, just ask!
DTF
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DTF »

Yeah i already tried that and nothing happened (excuse my spelling)
Da_Dooley
Commander
Commander

Post by Da_Dooley »

when i saw that ship, i immediately saw a separatist cruiser from star wars 3. i have tried to make one of those, and now you have done it. great job. (no sarcasm there, totally serious)
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

DTF wrote:nothing happened
Ok, what do you mean by nothing? When you dragged sections into shipmaker, did you get an error, a small black dot instead of the section, or did nothing at all appear? First thing I can think of if nothing at all appeared is that the extension needs to be lowercase, but that shouldn't be a problem with someone else's sprites...If they weren't properly in your custom sprites folder you should have gotten an error. Any more info about how your doing all this?
DTF
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DTF »

Nvm i put the .ini thing where it needs to be and the sections into the custom sections folder but theres still one problem: Where do i find the sections?
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

If you press Z, the section list should appear on the right. If you don't see the new ones there, click Open Sprites Ini under the tools menu, and pick the ini file.

Then you can toggle between the 4 page-groups of sections with the 1-4 keys. (If it doesn't, press ` to switch to group mode for the number keys)
DTF
Ensign
Ensign

Post by DTF »

Ah, ok thx