Apache's Shipyard [Newest: Marauder Armored Assault Frigate]

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Apache's Shipyard [Newest: Marauder Armored Assault Frigate]

Post by apache1990 »

All comments and/or criticism is welcome (including the "that totally sucks" kind, as long as you can say why).

After lurking for a while since my last ship, I've upgraded my old Defiler to the SWA style, with a new name. I also converted a few sprites to SWA that I had used on the original design (credits to AD's Forerunner pack, Blackhart, and a few stock sections that I made my own SWA variants for). Anything I could improve before moving to other designs?

Frigates
Marauder Armored Assault Frigate (ArAsMAD-R1)
[Extract to your BSF folder, and custom sprites should automatically place themselves]
Hull Strength: 950
Threat: 125
Speed: 2
Acceleration: 0.20
Turning: 0.50
Armament:
4x Laser Cannon
3x Particle Accelerator
2x Light Beam Emitter
1x Medium Beam Emitter
2x Flak Battery

As a front line Assault Frigate, the Marauder is relentless, hitting its target with a constant barrage from its relatively large array of energy weapons. Able to push through most return fire with its powerful engines, it can stay within optimal combat range without much difficulty. Easily capable of taking on old generation destroyers, the Marauder is on par with modern heavy Frigates in combat capacity.

Armed solely with energy based offensive weaponry, the Marauder can operate for extended periods behind enemy lines, as it never needs to be restocked with ammunition. The Marauder's greatest strength that its entire armament is mounted to the front, allowing it to unleash a devastating barrage on its foes. But if an opponent succeeds at a flanking maneuver, this quickly becomes its worst enemy. As the engines are optimized for maximum forward thrust, the Marauder suffers from a poor turn rate; once someone gets behind it, it is very difficult to shake them off.

The Marauder performs best in pairs, as then they can cover each others' weak spots, or combine firepower to take on the latest generation destroyers. Overall, the Marauder is a reliable, solid performer, able to destroy many other ships of its class.

A Marauder engaging an Elite Pirate Heavy Frigate during simulator trials.
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

A little bit of clutter, but other else than that I think it's fine. The gold plated sections stand out a bit, try using a lighter shade of yellow.

Also, it seems that this ship is yellow themed (gold sides, orange/yellow lasers)... You may want to switch the exhausts to yellow. (Use Arc's Exhaust Pack)
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

A little bit of clutter, but other else than that I think it's fine. The gold plated sections stand out a bit, try using a lighter shade of yellow.

Also, it seems that this ship is yellow themed (gold sides, orange/yellow lasers)... You may want to switch the exhausts to yellow. (Use Arc's Exhaust Pack)
er...actually i think the yellow theme is just an untampered mining laser, theres a red beam and blue particle rifles too. I believe that the yellow plating is the team color (indicated by the team stripe).
naysayers will be shot
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Doogie12 wrote: er...actually i think the yellow theme is just an untampered mining laser, theres a red beam and blue particle rifles too. I believe that the yellow plating is the team color (indicated by the team stripe).
I know that, I was just commenting that the blue, red n orange don't mix very well, and recommended that he switch the sprite to yellow or orange, as well as doing away with the particle cannons (thank you for augmenting my eyesight).

Solare:
apache1990
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by apache1990 »

It's an attempted metagame armament, and if I change the colors of the weapons too much, it would be harder to tell what it was firing if it ever makes it into a battle, if a corporation ever liked it, :P.

[Engines are blue because that's the required color for Ion Drives, am I correct?]

(There's also a bit of internal clutter-armor, to give it some internal protection to keep the core from getting shot up too early.)
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

apache1990 wrote:It's an attempted metagame armament, and if I change the colors of the weapons too much, it would be harder to tell what it was firing if it ever makes it into a battle, if a corporation ever liked it, :P.

[Engines are blue because that's the required color for Ion Drives, am I correct?]

(There's also a bit of internal clutter-armor, to give it some internal protection to keep the core from getting shot up too early.)
Ah, the metagame. You should have put that on the first post. Second, there are still ways of toughening a ship's core without making clutter.

Solare: