Ryen's small fleet & radom ships [New ships!]

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

Ryen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Ryen's small fleet & radom ships [New ships!]

Post by Ryen »

Well, frist time to post my ships on the fourm. They spend me 3 weekend to build these ships.
It seems that there still has some problem on my ship but I can't find them. If you can give me some advice, that will be great.
And, they're no coloring at all. Actully I don't know how to make a good coloring. :oops:

Edit*
Just some little change and a new SW style ship.

Fighters:
Attacker

Bomber

Corvette:
Gunship

Clipper

Capital ships:
Supporter

Assault Carrier

Drone Carrier

Missile Destroyer

BattleCruiser

Others:
Cruise Missile

SW Style:
Undefined

Undefind NO.2
Got some idea from the "Mine fields" thread and then work it out with this ship
Laying mines
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... ngMine.png
The mine field
http://i806.photobucket.com/albums/yy34 ... efield.png

Undefind NO.3

Fleet shot:
Last edited by Ryen on Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Doogie12
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Doogie12 »

to tell you the truth, When I saw "my first" i thought, dang, another noob with crappish ships. But to tell you the truth, they aren't half bad. Maybe tone down on the weapons a little.

As for your coloring issue, its pretty easy. Simply use monotone colors and have higher parts on your ship a lighter color, and lower parts a darker color.
Coloring them shouldn't be too hard on the big ships, I can see where you would color things anyways.

and something about the drone carrier makes me want it, but i don't know exactly what

Edit* you know, the topleft one in the fleet shot kinda looks like a really big Cronus
Last edited by Doogie12 on Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
naysayers will be shot
halofreak759
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by halofreak759 »

I agree with what Doogie12 said . Also is the nano matrix on the supporter and the ship deployer on the assault carrier suppose to float in the middle of the ship? Anyway good starter ship but you might want to go easy on the guns.
jwa8402
Admiral
Admiral

Post by jwa8402 »

Holy crap its spoot knight! lol anyway I actually like the stubbyness of the ships, but that pinkish tint in the sandbox shot...did you do that on purpose because its obscene looking. You got some of your modules in weird places too...I do like the top left, the small strike craft, and the largest one.
AlphaDetisMegas
Captain
Captain

Post by AlphaDetisMegas »

jwa8402 wrote:Holy crap its spoot knight!
Reliving the good old days are we, i like the ships for a first fleet.
Nothing is forever. It can't be. 'Cause everyone changes.
Whether they want to or not, they need to change. Myself... Even you!
Droid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Droid »

Floating modules...noooo :(
If you're going to make them float, set their Alpha to 0.
shadowbane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by shadowbane »

Personally, I think your ships have a really good overall shape and the section usage is pretty good. The coloring is... well, I'm not that good either, but it's probably best to use grey if you don't know what else to use. That ways, the weapons won't stick out so much. Still, the ships look pretty good except for the color.
grumpy
Ryen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ryen »

About the floating deployer, I was looking for some feeling like "ships was build in the space", but seems that I'm fail. The supporter used to be a light carrier too, mabe I should rebuild it later.

For those guns, I can't control myself to make up a bunch of turret (especially twin AC) in rows and link them together when I was building some kinds of big ship...
halofreak759
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by halofreak759 »

Try using connecting parts to join your floating sections to the hull of your ship.
HydreMajor117
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

Post by HydreMajor117 »

If you like putting weapons like that on your ships you should take a look to Horsemonster's weapons, they are pretty awesome looking....
Silver Swordsman
Commander
Commander

Post by Silver Swordsman »

I'm not going to comment on what what's good: You've received enough praise already for that and no one has addressed the problems.

First off, the colors. I know you aren't a good colorer, and that's okay, but I'm going to make sure now that you WILL be a good colorer. Apparently monotone ships are not the forums' favorites.

Tip 1. Your ships are blue. Okay, that's fine. The ships are completely blue. Okay, that's no so good. You will want to establish different colors within each ship, unless your ship is made out of Neptunian Trioxide Nano-alloys, there should be supporting colors. Typically, any color will work with any other color except for the opposites (Blue/Orange, yellow/purple, green/red).

Tip 2. The shade of blue is consistent: BAD. Not only does it make your ship look cluttered, it also makes your ship look 2-d and not so nice-looking. Even if you wanted to make an all-blue ship (which is fine; I've pulled off that kind of stuff before), you will have to consider depthing. In other words, have a 3D perspective of your ship: places that are lower are darker, places that are higher are brighter, etc.

EDIT: I suddenly noticed there WERE small shade variations, but it's not enough.

Tip 3. Alpha-out floating weapons. They don't look good. In fact, given that your ships are dark blue and the weapons are WHITE, it is recommended that you stick with the first and color the weapons blue, so they don't stand out. Having your ships infected with Modulepox and Weaponpox is not the most aesthetic experience.

Tip 4. Use SWA sprites. They're a lot more beautiful, they can accomplish a lot more, and it's much easier to make a beautiful ship with them. I can't make trash with original BSF parts: with SWA, different story).

Tip 5. Think big picture. I try to find a single focus point for my ships, usually the highest point of the ship, and try to make the rest of the ship inconspicuous compared to it. In other words, there should be a "center of gravity" that naturally draws your eye to that place. This is a much more advanced concept: try that only once you've mastered tips 1-3.
If admirals hate and trash your ships,
If you can't get it right;
Then off you go, but don't call quits;
Just go make custom sprites.

Solare:
http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4858
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

Silver Swordsman wrote:Tip 4. Use SWA sprites. They're a lot more beautiful, they can accomplish a lot more, and it's much easier to make a beautiful ship with them. I can't make trash with original BSF parts: with SWA, different story).
This isn't a necessity, and generally, working with stock sections makes one a better ship-builder. Being easy doesn't make it the best.
Arcalane
Pseudofeline Overlord

Post by Arcalane »

Silver Swordsman wrote:Tip 3. Alpha-out floating weapons. They don't look good. In fact, given that your ships are dark blue and the weapons are WHITE, it is recommended that you stick with the first and color the weapons blue, so they don't stand out. Having your ships infected with Modulepox and Weaponpox is not the most aesthetic experience.
This man has no idea what he's talking about.

In stock-style land it is generally frowned upon to recolour weapons, because nine times out of ten people use the same colour, so weapons just become 'invisible' and things get retarded.

In fact recolouring weapons to anything other than a shade of grey/white is kinda frowned upon completely, not just in stock style.
Skull13
Captain
Captain

Post by Skull13 »

Lighten up the color just a tad. The dark color makes the weapons stand out a bit too much. Thats just a personal nitpick though. Other than that, keep up the good work.
This user is a proponent of the whole "Check your **** parenting" idea.

This is a signature. It goes at the end of my post.

Your face is so *adjective* that it *verb*s
Ryen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Ryen »

Changed the title.
Colored the battle cruiser, but don't feeling good.

Also try to using the SW section. They're really cool. The ship was at the top.

And, I got a question. How to make a ship more active with flanking AI? When they receive an attacking order, what was they do is just like these: move - wait for a wile - Steering target - waitfor a wile - move again... In short. How to make them move like those infantry in the "Ground Units"?

The last thing, how to turn off those damn orange box?! :?