At last... Adelbert60's first post

Archives for ships and fleets. 'nuff said. Most of the ships here are very very old and will not work in current versions of BSF or SM. You have been warned!

Moderators: th15, Moderators

adelbert60
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

At last... Adelbert60's first post

Post by adelbert60 »

My Greek fleet(flagships)
Aphrodite (imitation of Athena)

Ares

Artemis (wannabe Iris)

Athena (imitation of Aphrodite)

Demeter

Dionysos

Hades

Hephaistos

Hera

Hermes (doesn't know what shading is)

Hestia

Iris (made out of scrap metal)

Pan

Poseidon

And last but not least,
ZEUS

Dgms17 told me to post them.
Feedback apreciated (I don't care).
Kazutek
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Kazutek »

nice ships. Bit stick-ish, but good. Could try for more angles for some of the straightish ship. Could also work on your color depthing.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Zeus, Hades and Hera are all waaaay to blocky. Hades' colour scheme is amazing though but the shape ruins it. The sections on poseidon are a bit cluttered but the front is original and good. I'm assuming they're your first ships, if so there's some good potential there.
SO I HERD U LIEK NOOBZ!?
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

In addition to what's been said, mind the spindly bits on the poseidon and hephaistos. If it looks like a slingshot could snap it off, you should probably beef it up a bit.

For a first post, these are pretty good. Welcome to the forums.
adelbert60
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by adelbert60 »

update:
Zeus, Hades and Hera are all waaaay to blocky. Hades' colour scheme is amazing though but the shape ruins it.
I knew something was wrong with Hades the moment I finished it.
And Zeus and Hera where my first two ships...
mind the spindly bits on the poseidon and hephaistos. If it looks like a slingshot could snap it off
Well the hephaistos is a 'shipyard' (or something like that)
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

updates version of Hera is muuuch better. Maybe bigger 'wing things' at the back? They look like they're as thin as a stick and just as long too.
Kiltric
Captain
Captain

Post by Kiltric »

adelbert60 wrote:
mind the spindly bits on the poseidon and hephaistos. If it looks like a slingshot could snap it off, you should probably beef it up a bit.
Well the hephaistos is a 'shipyard' (or something like that)
Oh, I get that, and by all means leave the general feel of the ship as such, because it's good. Even so, it could stand to have a little more support added.

My personal rule of thumb is, were this, to scale, made of aluminum, could I bend it with my hands. If the answer is yes, I make it stronger. I'm not saying you have to follow this as a rule, but as a guideline, it might help, in my humble opinion.
AidanAdv
Commodore
Commodore

Post by AidanAdv »

In general, the main problem your ships suffer from is poor section work. When placing sections, put some thought into and think about how the sections mesh and flow with each other. Some parts of your ships look quite well-done, however, they are surrounded by poor section work and are apart of space-bricks with little overall aesthetic appeal.

The 2nd main issue I see is spindly appendages. For instance, on the Hera and the Zues, the two rear wings look like they were simply added as an after thought and don't really add anything to the ship. I'll let the Hephaistos pass here because I actually find the rearmost module-part of the ship interesting and you've provided some justification for its skeletal shipyard look.

Also, the Hades is too dark for my own tastes.
The walls have eyes: the shadows we throw are the shadows we try to throw off.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

Would be good if you did make the things on hephaistos thicker, but it looks to me like a shipyard or repair station. Therefore seeing as they aren't in combat they won't get destroyed anyway. Also with Hep the bit at the back makes it look like a ship with a huuuuge claw-y thing on it. Try getting rid of that and making the station come from all sides of the core, not just the right.
adelbert60
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by adelbert60 »

AidanAdv wrote:Also, the Hades is too dark for my own tastes.
Hades is the god of hell; he's supposed to be too dark!
Hades was fat, but he is supposed to be skinny, so I decided he had to follow a strict diet of burnt-down shipwrecks:
He dumped some jail compartments, pits of doom, torture chambers (sometimes better known as sick bays) and Mac Donald’s branches (which slimmed the crew). With this he saved the energy that he now uses to generate a shield.
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

yes it's much better. Zeus needs some work as well, if I haven't said that before.
adelbert60
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by adelbert60 »

god froggy wrote:yes it's much better. Zeus needs some work as well, if I haven't said that before.
I can't work at more than 1 ship at once :cry:
god froggy
Commander
Commander

Post by god froggy »

I know lol. Are Artemis and Athena supposed to be almost exactly the same?
LactoseTolerant
Captain
Captain

Post by LactoseTolerant »

The Hades has gone through an improvement, but the general shape is still boring. Try to make thicker appendages and split the front/back into separate segments for more variety?
Got questions about ShipMaker? Look here!

Life happens.
adelbert60
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by adelbert60 »

god froggy wrote:I know lol. Are Artemis and Athena supposed to be almost exactly the same?
like twin sisters (never noticed that hera and zeus where the same)